What's the difference between .45 ACP and .45 Auto?

While it’s not my edc, I love shooting my Kimber Custom II 1911 in .45 caliber.

I believe any gender can handle the recoil. One heck of a trigger

4 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @Ralph37 and you are in the right place at the right time.

1 Like

Preface: I didn’t know if @Kevin180 was referring to the USP 45 compact or full size when I wrote this. I don’t know if it makes any difference for him, but it’s my understanding that the HK45 Compact and USP 45 Compact will accept the 10 rounders from the HK45 full size. However, the full size UPS 45 magazines won’t fit in any of the above.

My second bed-stand gun was a 45 USP Expert. I liked it so much, that at the beginning of the pandemic I picked up a nice used 45 USP which I thought would replace my M2.0 40 for winter carry. I first replaced the trigger with the overtravel stop version, then did the LEM conversion. However, by the time the ammo shortage reached my edge of the woods, I still wanted more time behind the trigger with the mods and haven’t yet replaced the 40.

Some of my opinions that I think should be mentioned for @Kevin180

1. 12-15 rounds double stack 45’s are thick. If you don’t mind the thickness its all good. IIRC, the USP 45 compact uses a thinner magazine like the HK45’s do, but I don’t know the grip width difference from the full size USP.

2. Holsters might be harder to find if you have a particular brand you want to go with.

3. Parts are often “out of stock.” I generally suggest ordering directly from the US parts distributor for the manufacturer, but even the other HK parts dealers often have limited stock for the USP’s and waiting for parts to ship from Germany to the dealers sometimes takes months… even before the pandemic. I was lucky to snag one of the last new RSA’s for my USP 45 in the US at the beginning of the pandemic for the used UPS 45 I picked up. At the time, I was quoted 5-6 months wait for more to come in, and the websites still showed out of stock 8 months after (when I stopped looking).

4. Kevin180 didn’t clarify whether you were looking at the UPS compact or full size. I have no experience with the compact, but the USP 45 compact won’t fit USP 45 full size magazines, IIRC. For the full size, I’ve heard rumors that the USP 45 limited 10-round magazines (rounds restricted) have an issue with spring overcompression when stored loaded. I have heard that this is not an issue with the factory 12 rounders (normal). IIRC, there is also a +3 extension from an aftermarket brand but I have no experience with that.

5. You might find aftermarket support limited (although HK has a lot of factory upgrades available… when not out of stock).

6. My personal opinion on shooting the USP, was that the high barrel axis felt in-between shooting the Sig P220 and Smith 4506. I never shot the HK45, but handled one in store and wasn’t swaded to change my 12 rounder for a sexier looking 10 rounder.

Personally I like the magazine release paddle. I used to use thumb and pointer finger to release it, but lately I’ve just been using my pointer finger. However, either way requires me to shift my grip to actuate, as my middle finger sits right under the paddle when shooting.

Those are all that I can think of for now.

4 Likes

Howdy and welcome #Ralph37.
I just picked up a Custom II. I like it too. I put some US Marine walnut grips on it.

1 Like

Thank you for responses!

1 Like

Hello and welcome @Ralph37
My Shot Show Custom 2 is my favorite.45

1 Like

@Scott52 Excellent advice. I’ve fired the Glock 30s and I liked it, although I think the handle is a bit too short for me. I think I’ve fired the USP compact and I think it has a slightly longer handle, which is why I liked it. Both are excellent choices, IMHO.

2 Likes

@Bugleboy Wow! Thanks for all of the information. Yes, the mag release on the trigger guard is a feature I like. I remember the first time I fired the H&K VP9 (SK?) and that threw me off for a moment but I took a liking to it, so that wouldn’t be a deterrent, although your point about practicing reloads is a very important one. Yeah, it’s a .45 and I have shot one only 2-3 times so far, so I’ll be needing lots of practice. Thanks for the carry suggestions; I guess an IWB holster is out of the question!

1 Like

@Scotty Thank you for that detailed analysis. Yes, I was asking about the EDC .45 that H&K makes, so looking on their website I saw the 45 Compact and the USP Compact. Those are the two I’m considering but I will also re-visit the Glock 30 just so I’m sure. Your information will be quite useful in helping me determine which one to buy, especially the issues with the parts. I may want to replace the sights; I don’t like the sights on any of my pistols but it will cost a small fortune to get them all tritium-enabled!

3 Likes

Was considering 45 also, but, I’m leaning heavy towards 10mm now. Good ballistics,cheaper and more abundant ammo in my area.

1 Like

Yep its the same :us:

1 Like

I had a Model 20 Glock. That thing had lots of energy. I was told comparative to 44 Mag.

1 Like

I heard the same comparison to 44 mag. There’s plenty of ammo in my area, I just CAN NOT find a single pistol in any store !

I have the Colt M1911A1 (circa WWII) that my dear old Dad brought home from Korea. The feel, balance, accuracy and smoothness with which it shoots is unparalleled. A bit big as an edc for my frame although I have carried it in the US Army branded shoulder holster that it came in under a winter jacket and have open carried it as a secondary weapon while large game hunting. Have shot a number of different brands of the 1911 over the years and although alot of them were prettier, none seems to match the feel of the original

4 Likes

I was having a senior moment.

1 Like

Just force fit that big primer!

1 Like

@Mike270 how do you think I discovered the little buggers! :boom: 50 some primers going off in your hand is not a pleasant experience!!! PSA: Wear you eye pro when priming!!! A glove isn’t a bad idea either.

Cheers,

Craig6

1 Like

This comes late - there was also the .45 Auto Rim, a rimmed cartridge brought out in 1911 to fire in revolvers chambered for the ACP. FYI

We had 1911’s in the Army Reserve at least through the 1990’s. Ammo (IWI—good stuff) came from Israel because Winchester was tied up in a 9mm contract with the DOD is what we were told, Our 1911s were, well, hammered. The CO’s rang like a cow bell and most of our M-16s were yellow tagged.

1 Like

You can bite down on a .45 while Doc Adams is digging a slug out of your shoulder.
Marshall Dillon never bit down on a 10mm, which proves the superiority of the .45 :laughing:

3 Likes