What would you do: Stranger at the ATM

You’re running late getting home from a work dinner and realized you don’t have cash for the babysitter. Your bank’s drive-up ATM is on the way home and just a few minutes out of the way, so you decided to stop there for cash.

The ATM is located at the end of the drive-through lanes in a stand-alone structure. As you turn down the ATM lane, you scan the area to make sure no one is around. There’s no one else near the ATM or in the bank’s parking lot so you pull up and get your money, staying aware of your surroundings.

A pickup truck pulls up behind you just as you’re getting your card back from the machine. You quickly roll up your window and are putting the car in park as the pickup truck bumps into you. It’s nothing more than a tap, but the petite female pickup truck driver is out and walking toward your car.

What do you do?

• Stay in your car and call the police
  • Call the police as you drive away to a safer, better-lit location
  • Roll down your window and tell the other driver not to worry about it, then leave
  • Get out and talk to the other driver as she’s only one person and smaller than you are
  • Other, please share your thoughts below

0 voters

Would you do something different during the day than you would at night? Share your thoughts below.

For the sake of discussion, let’s rule out the use of payment apps like Venmo or Zelle. They would probably be the best option in this situation as you don’t have to stop late at night to get cash and you know the person to whom you’re sending them money.

3 Likes

Bump or Tap stops are sometimes a setup for a robbery or a car jacking. Don’t assume that because the driver of the other vehicle is (as described in our story) a “petite female pickup truck driver” you aren’t being set up. Petite means nothing on a trigger press, she can press a trigger too. Or, you’re being set up for her larger, male partners to slip in behind and complete the robbery and or carjacking (or worse).

Remember the lessons that we teach about defending property (your vehicle and your money), if it isn’t worth dying for, it isn’t worth killing for. Drive off to a safer, well lit location with plenty of witnesses around and call the local Police. The Police may want to check out the location to see if our petite friend in the pickup truck isn’t part of a little “Tap and Rob” operation.

Find another ATM, plenty of those in most areas these days.

Be safe out there.

9 Likes

In this situation, I would simply drive away. A tap won’t be too much damage for me since I have a truck, and even if it is a lot of damage, not worth it. I would drive to a well-lit area with others around and then call the police. If possible, I would try to get the best description I can of the vehicle that tapped me and a plate number to give to the police. In today’s world, especially at a bank or ATM, there is a good chance that a camera will be filming for the police to use if needed.

6 Likes

That petite female may have other passengers in the vehicle which you may not notice at the time and once you exit your car you are vulnerable. I agree with driving away to a well lit location and call the police.

7 Likes

Drive away. She hit you lightly. Not a big deal. Her g we tying out of her vehicle could be a clear sign she’d not afraid, which most women would be. Avoid night time ATMs. Not smart.

4 Likes

1st don’t use ATMs, don’t use a debit card but in pretend land . Put my vehicle in drive, so as not to get trapped in ATM lane, watch my mirrors, watch females hands. Should something seem amiss tell female to stay back & all is well with vehicle. Goodnight…Ba bye

2 Likes

Good luck with that. No effect on me.

5 Likes

I don’t understand the scenario. I’ve got my money and my card, I never left my car, so why would I put it in park before the truck “tapped” my car?

4 Likes

I’m leaving

5 Likes

Handicapped people should not go out alone at night <<<
Take that to the bank <<
PS: the Fuzz have no power on private property unless a crime is committed.
:us::us::us:

1 Like

Good question!

3 Likes

I’ve only read a few responses on here and I wondered if most of you knew that very few robberies occur at ATM’s? I posted on a Facebook discussion the other day for this page that in my last investigative class I took before retiring the number was only something like 1 out of every 3-4 million ATM visits result in a crime being committed and of course robbery is included. Now this does not mean to not use caution but it is such a rare thing. In my 30 plus years in uniform I am not sure I can recall a single ATM robbery in my very busy county that was near DC. Use caution but they are not the high risk crime like many believe.

3 Likes

I do use the ATM typically once or twice a month at what I believe is a very safe location. I find it inconceivable that I would find myself at an ATM at night. As indicated elsewhere the scenario does inject unexplained action with the gear shift. I smell a rat!

Other versions of the 7 Ps

• Proper Planning and Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
  • Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
  • Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
  • Prior Proper Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
  • Piss Poor Planning Promotes Piss Poor Performance.
  • Prior Planning and Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance
  • Prior Preparation and Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
  • Positive Pre-Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
2 Likes

Hmmmm high risk? No…ok. if it happens to me, what do stats matter?

4 Likes

If you stop at any stop and rob your chances are higher than at an ATM. Do you not stop at any of these? But this was also in my post: “Now this does not mean to not use caution but it is such a rare thing”

2 Likes

Give the babysitter anything you have including your watch, pay her the next day! Never use an ATM after sunset. These days there are plenty of indoor, well lit places to extract money. Not at night and not without backup! Know ingress and egress!
I for one put a safe in my home not only for the firearms I lost at sea but for cold hard cash, I withdraw cash on a regular basis and keep it in my “personal” Liberty ATM machine. Accessible, day and night.

5 Likes

Interesting photos & where did the till come from, if I may ask?

1 Like

The area I live, you don’t play like that. That’s a robbery happening in real time. If someone walks up to my car they want something and are probably willing to take it. There are actually banks not far from here that hire the SLCPD to have officers on the property at all times.

3 Likes

Be vigilant and unafraid! IMO

3 Likes

Liberty safes

4 Likes