What was your first car?

'53 Ford F100 with a flathead 8 and 3 on the tree! Wish I had never sold it but it never would have lasted the last 40 years for me to get around to restoring it.

3 Likes

1976, it was a '70 or '71 Toyota Corolla, blue. My first husband-to-be bought it and taught me to drive in it … it was a manual transmission. :scream: I was 16. We put 400,000 miles on that car. Ran the wheels off it.

2 Likes

1964 black and white VW Karmann Ghia.

It was not JUST my first car :smiling_imp:

3 Likes

Dude, don’t take this the wrong way, but you suck!

When I was 16 I wanted a little orange Karmann Ghia sooooo bad, but I couldn’t get my dad on board.

Years later I bought my first VW bus. My fourth and last one is my undying vehicle love. A white over red 1972 day camper. I rebuilt the motor, fixed the steering, the wiring, the brakes, and she was sweet. 40,000 miles and she never leaked a drop of oil or broke down on me, not once. Financial reverses first made me take her off the road, then sell her when an offer came to me that was too good to justify keeping her, not when we needed groceries.:cry:

Regards.

1 Like

My first set of wheels was a 1957 chevy rolling chassis. I was 16 at the time and within 6 months had it running. Had my high school friend in the car with me cruising the town and got caught drag racing thru our town. Guess who stopped us in town. My friends dad…got an ass chewing but no ticket. Now at 66 yrs old…
i kick myself in the rear for selling it.

2 Likes

I’m guessing we’ll hear that a lot in this thread :laughing:
Welcome!

1 Like

I learned to drive in a 69 Toyota Land Cruiser.

I guess I’m getting the middle aged crazies because every time I see an Pre 85 model TLC I want it. :laughing:

2 Likes

My first car was a 1971 Dodge Dart. I paid $400 for it. It was a 2-door blue with a straight 6 in it.

3 Likes

My first car was a used 68 VW Bug I bought while a student at Slippery Rock State College.

3 Likes

1974 Ford Maverick Grabber… the White one with the Orange stripes, 6 cyl 261 engine, and a 3speed on the floor. Purchased from my parents and 1 week later was totaled when a teenager in a huge Buick rear ended me at 35 in a 25… She had received her license 3 days before…

1 Like

I’ll date myself and tell you my first car was a 1968 Ford Fairlane, fastback style coupe. My dad got it for me, $600, from an old farmer who always had a couple cars for sale.

3 Likes

1964 Pontiac Tempest. Was sitting in someone’s back yard for some time. Went and asked the owner about it and he said if I would get it out of his yard, I could have it. Fixed it up, got er running. Used for about two years. Not bad for a 17 year old kid

8 Likes

Excellent job @ThatSoccerDude :grin:
Welcome!

2 Likes

1959 Volkswagen Beetle. Mine did not have a gas gauge, among other things that would be considered a necessity today. You drove until you ran out of gas, then turned a small valve on the floorboard to engage a reserve tank which gave you about 50 miles to find a gas station. When you filled it up you had to remember to close the valve. I do remember several times when I ran out gas and reached down to open valve and found it was already opened. OOPS, walking to the nearest gas station. Volkswagen finally put a gas gauge in the beetles around 1962.

1 Like

My second car was a 1969 Checker Marathon, a personal version of their iconic taxi cab. 69 was the last year they sold them to the public through their own dealerships. After that you had to order one from the assembly plant in Kalamazoo, MI.

1 Like

91 Pontiac Sunbird with a ram air conversion.

1 Like

1974 Chevy Monte Carlo, the front of that thing usually got into the next day before I did!

2 Likes

My 1st was a 1972 Ford F100 I was 18

2 Likes

My first car was a 57 Chevy truck with a 350 engine with a turbo 400 transmission that my Pops & I put together when I was 15.

3 Likes

It was 1959 and the car was a 1950 Ford Club Coupe. I owned it until 1964, until I got out of Marine Corps.

1 Like