What Legal Questions/Concerns Do You Have About Carrying?

You’re carrying the firearm, @Larry4? And you can legally carry? Since you are in control of your firearm, there shouldn’t be a problem at all.

If he forcefully takes it from you - that’s another discussion, but it’s still his actions.

I’ll ask @Tom_Grieve to confirm this and put it in better “official” language.

1 Like

Thank You. And He would never forcefully take it from me. He was as concern as I was. Because He got His life back together and don’t want to ever do that again.

1 Like

In Indiana, if posted and your are ask to leave, then leave. After all it is a private business, even if it’s open to the public. ( STARBUCKS ) That’s what makes us; Responsibly Armed American. Her is a good one, I can walk into my Doctor Office. But when I go to my wife Doctor, I have to stay outside are lock it up in the car.

2 Likes

I read NJ Laws and HP"S are prohibition, Good thing, I would not want to live in NJ. That’s one of 14 states I can’t carry in

1 Like

What Dawn is saying should be true. I say should because, at the end of the day, law enforcement can still arrest you if they believe that your friend Larry was in possession of the firearm. While definitions of possessions vary, one common one is if your friend has knowledge and immediate-ish access to it (e.g. I know that I have firearms in my house… but I am far from my house so I do not have access to them NOW).

It can be a blurry line that, unfortunately, is all too often open to interpretation.

3 Likes

We have to love the nuances of the law. Thanks for the clarification, @Tom_Grieve!

2 Likes

HELP I have a legal question, not sure it this is the best place to ask.
My employer, who is also a local AZ municipality, wants to ban gun carrying of any kind through an employee policy, but not restrict guns on the premises- mainly because it is too much work and cost to supply firearm storage areas-as required in AZ statutes.
So, as an employee I would no longer be allowed to conceal carry, but customers on the other side of my desk would be able to. How is this legal? Is it? AZ allows open and conceal carry except on school/federal ect. I would think, they could not restrict my right to carry, but no others on the same physical premises? Any advice or resources for me on this subject?

1 Like

I just recently researched the non-resident travel laws for IL. The gas station stop is fine if you place the unloaded weapon in a latchable container, including glove box or console, and lock up while you’re away from the vehicle. If you remain next to your vehicle and don’t walk away to the store or restroom, then simply leaving it out of sight in the vehicle should be fine.

One article written by a former IL LEO recommended printing out the relevant statutes and keeping them with you.

1 Like

I don’t know the AZ laws but my employer in Wisconsin (Corp. HQ is in California) does have employee work policy of no weapons. Our buildings in Wisconsin (I have never been to our California office) are posted with the no weapons signs but do nothing to enforce visitors from having a weapon on them.

So while at work I lock my EDC in my car safe just before I exit. I also remove it before starting my car at the end of the day. (In Wisconsin they cannot prohibit me keeping a weapon in my vehicle.

3 Likes

We, Arizona, also are have statues to allow storage in your personal vehicle. We have many case law and statutes for allow prohibiting weapons on premises, I just have not been able to find anything on enforcing employee restrictions only…

1 Like

For me it states in the employee handbook (which you must agree to and sign as a condition of employment) that it is a dismissable offence.

2 Likes

It is not currently in a handbook, but I assume if they add it, they will require existing and new employees to sign.
I am just struggling with the prohibiting my right as an employee and how they intend to enforce it. If I am going in to just pick up a paycheck, but not on the clock, and similar gray areas… Employers can certainly tell employees what and how to do their jobs, but not limit rights of employees. Arizona is very gun friendly, so I am curious as everything I have been able to find refers to prohibiting weapons on a premises as a whole, not just employees. They are taking away my right to carry, and handing out cans of wasp spray for security. Literally, they just went and bought 100 cans of wasp spray. LoL

1 Like

Wasp spray used for self defense can get you a felony conviction (read the warning label).

I know you have great gun laws (I have traveled though and have friends that live in Arizona). I have to leave some handguns with a friend there when my motorcycle broke down near Flagstaff and I had to fly home.

I drove back to get them a few months later the bike took a year to get the repairs done (long story).

3 Likes

Unless there are post release parole conditions requiring him to avoid even being in the presence of anyone that is armed as long as the gun remains in your control at all times and he never handles it or any ammunition there should be no problem.

If he’s got an atty though it wouldn’t hurt to have them look over his parole documents for any special restrictions.

2 Likes

Unless AZ law specifically forbids employers from such restrictions it would be legal, stupid, but legal.

Apparently the entity you work for is more worried about one of you workers going postal than someone walking in to do business with you.

2 Likes

They are actually encouraging you to commit a federal crime if they are issuing the wasp spray for self defense. It’s also all but completely useless for that purpose.

To use any chemical for off label purposes is a felony under federal law.

1 Like

You might not have to sign anything if they update their handbook. Some companies expect that you’re OK with their updates and know about the updates to their handbooks.

They can enforce it by firing you for going against a company policy.

You might want to send HR a list of your questions (be thorough) and see what responses you get back from them. I would do it in all in writing so that you have a written response with the details in case anything ever would happen.

I’ll also put this on the thread for what would you ask an attorney. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you, all. Thanks Dawn that would be great. It still doesn’t seem logical, but I guess I thought it would be a little different since I work for a municipality, not on private property. I just hope they don’t plan to harass the several people who currently carry, I don’t know how they plan to check or enforce it.

1 Like

That’s the thing that amazes me… what are you saying about the people you employ? Oh, right …its your corporate liability you are protecting… and that’s more important than your employees lives. Gotcha. :unamused:

2 Likes

We call hollow points, “carry” rounds…the idealogy is that when the bullet leaves the pistol, YOU are responsible for it. that bullet eliminates the threat to your life, and exits that threat and hurts someone else, THAT can be a problem. Hollow points have a better chance of stopping in the threat.

1 Like