Conceal Carrying At Work

Hello All!

I have completed my CCW license for the state of Nevada and had a question when it comes to work place carry. I will be reading over the employee manual/policies I have signed over for my employment, but from what I recall, there is no stipulations or wording regarding firearms and carrying.

If this is the case, should I still relay to my employer, I do have a good relationship with the CEO of the small company, that I conceal carry? Is there any legal obligation or rather it would be courteous to inform them?

9 Likes

Welcome @Orion. Not real sure. I work for a loarge company and it isn’t in our company handbook either but our boss said that it is “Implied” that we can’t carry a weapon at work.

4 Likes

Personal decision.

Me, I wouldn’t. I wouldn’t put them in the position of having to actively and knowingly say yes this employee can have a gun while on the clock at work. It’s a lot easier to say no

Is there a legal obligation? I don’t know, I’m not a lawyer, and I can’t answer that question. But…I have certainly never heard of such a thing

Me personally, I just think…why bring it up at all?? If you are okay with not carrying at work, or quitting, might be good to ask

6 Likes

There are two ways to look at this.

1. Conceal means no one knows you are carrying.
  2. For respect of the CEO/Owner of a business to inform them that you would like to carry conceal but that you want them to know what your agenda is for carrying.

The first does have a couple down falls which are IF you are found to have it on you and others find out or know what the outcome would be?

With the second one the business does not want any responsibility or dealings with the legal or illegal side of carrying and If something was to require you to react how will the business be affected by you carrying.

So, by informing them that you do want to carry you can see where they stand on the being responsible scenario part or not.

5 Likes

Talk with your employer. After all, the employer would likely be the “deep pocket” in any negligence lawsuit brought by someone shot by your firearm (intentionally or otherwise) at your employer’s workplace. If you shot someone, a plaintiff’s lawyer would likely assert that your employer was negligent for failing to adequately supervise an employee with a firearm in the employer’s workplace. Your USCCA coverage does not extend to your employer.

3 Likes

I’d ask a USCCA afilliate lawyer in Nevada to be certain. In Oregon, the sheriff sends you a notice with your CHL and renewal providing guidance on where you are explicitly NOT allowed to carry. Otherwise, if it isn’t specifically posted or stated as a policy not to, I carry and don’t tell anyone, absolutely no one. You never know when that good relationship with the CEO stops being good.

4 Likes

Do you know of any cases where a person carrying a concealed for personal defense of their own accord led to the employer being sued for negligence?

4 Likes

They haven’t bee courteous to us since the ratification,
12/15/1791, of the 2A.
Concealed means concealed, the only one that should know your carrying, is you! When going over the “employee manual” check the fine print and the company manual. There are two manuals. One is the basic tenants of your employment, the second is all the sh/t that can get you fired!

5 Likes

It’s common for business liability insurance policies to exclude coverage for firearms in a business. One of the non-profit agencies on which I was on the board had such an insurance policy. The way the policy worked was if an incident happened with the firearm for which the insured was liable, the insurance company would not cover them. A separate firearms rider was required with an additional premium.

For an employee who carries, the employer risks liability – with no insurance coverage – if a firearm is involved.

Talk with your employer if you carry and understand what your employer’s liability insurance does and does not cover. That’s way better than surprising your boss, and if you can’t talk with your boss about such things, you shouldn’t be working there.

3 Likes

If there’s nothing in the company handbook or a sign on the front door! Then concealed! I did until one day, it saved an employee’s life! Now they know! And their good with it!

6 Likes

Do you know of any cases where the insured/the business, was liable, because an employee was concealed carrying for personal protection of their own accord, unbeknownst to the insured/the business?

3 Likes

I’m afraid that would rule out, I wager, the vast majority of jobs available in this country

2 Likes

My workplace is a GFZ, I have to leave my gun in my vehicle while I’m working.

Guard shack, metal detector and all.

No knives either……

With only a couple exceptions. Security, and feeder drivers.

I’m a feeder driver, so I can at least carry a knife to perform my job.

Had a suit try to fire me when he noticed my knife.

I told him what I did and who to call about my weapon,… he shut right the F up!

7 Likes

Hello @Orion and welcome to our community. Nevada is a gun friendly state. I find more people encourage carrying a gun responsibly than don’t. The problem is people that don’t want to carry put more people in jeopardy of being a victim of criminal violence. It is my opinion that the more people that carry responsibly the safer we all are.

4 Likes

I don’t have any problem with the people who don’t want to carry. There are a lot of people out there without the proper mindset and disposition for carrying along with many who just don’t want to. They need those with a more defensive mindset and will to protect them.

My problem is with the people who want to be defenseless for whatever reasons and then insist on trying to force everyone else to be defenseless as well.

7 Likes

I worded it poorly. What I meant to say was carry responsibly. If more people were carrying responsibly there would be less victims of criminal gun violence. Not just people carrying guns.

4 Likes
  1. “Concealed means concealed.”
    corollary: The first rule of concealed carry is you do not talk about concealed carry.
  2. The watchword, repeated refrain, from top national instructor Tom GIvens (Rangemaster) is

“Carry your damn gun!”

9 Likes

I’d be interested in this as well. As if I never told the owner/CEO of the building/company and the occurrence does happen of firearm use, would the business even be liable as they were never aware of my possession of a legally concealed and carried fired arm?

To me in common sense they wouldn’t be held liable and all liability would fall on the user of the firearm. Though I do know legality can be hard to know about and bypass any common sense. So figured I’d ask here where there are other abiding citizens that might know more than I or experiences to detail about.

2 Likes

There is legal liability and civil liability. I don’t think the company could be held legally liable for an employee lawfully caring a firearm but if that employee acts inappropriately or even is just perceived to have possibly acted inappropriately I suspect the business would be added to any civil lawsuits since the lawyers know they are likely to get more money out of the company than out of an employee.

For me if the company didn’t have a formal policy against it and there were no laws against carrying on their property I probably would carry without mentioning it. But I would make sure that I had the appropriate training and practice to deal with whatever safety and defensive situations I might have to deal with in that setting.

If they don’t have a formal policy for or against carrying I would assume they are working on the don’t ask don’t tell principal. Though you should be prepared for them to fire you if it turns out the owners or management are anti self defense and they find out you are carrying.

4 Likes

Of course not, concealed means concealed.

4 Likes