What is your religion and why?

I don’t like to be attached to a certain group. But, I do have a faith in god. People may call me a “diest” cause I believe there is a god, but he has left the earth and has no control in what we do. Also, that I don’t believe in an afterlife. I though, respect everyone regardless of religious beliefs!

2 Likes

Interesting, in fact everything you said was interesting. Ok so can I ask you this @AdamThePatriot. This is just a question ok.

If there is no afterlife, then why do we have memory?
You could add purpose as well but let’s start with memory.

2 Likes

Yes they were written by man. The books that didn’t make it to the Bible where voted out. Because they could not verify them. The Council of Nicea is who put the books together to make the bible. From what I understand they put the books inside an alter and prayed to the Lord to guide them on what books to use. After praying the books would end up on top of the altar, so they accepted the books that were on top the altar as the books of the Bible.

3 Likes

Memory is subjected you things you’ve done. Right? Things that you remember that you’ve said or done as a kid, or what you’ve even done yesterday or 5 minutes ago. Memory doesn’t got to do with religion, atleast to me anyway. Your mind, is like storage on a computer. Stores memories, what you find interesting or may not even like to be remembered, is a memory.

2 Likes

@Justin47
Sorry for the delayed response re reasons Jews dont believe Jesus was the Messiah. I had issues logging in one night and dealing with freeze proofing the house yesterday and today. Let me give you just a couple reasons to start off. Remember, this is a Jewish perspective. Jews do believe Christians also have the same path to heaven as Jews, just the Jew will be judged more harshly.

Jews believe that once the Messiah comes he will complete his job, there is no 2nd coming.
Notion in New Testament, not sure who said it, Jesus or PROPHETS, that G-d abrogated his covenant with Israel, that G-d has rebuked the Sinaitic Revelation with the Justification of Faith (per Paul). Jews believe one gets redemption by WORKS, Not FAITH. The idea of redemption by faith is totally inconsistent with the eternity of the Torah.
Jesus implies certain Mitsvas are no longer binding, Paul basically said none are binding.
The Messiah would accomplish certain tasks:
Returning Jews back to Israel
Rebuilding the Temple
World Peace.
He will do all of this once he arrives, there is no second coming to finish the job.

Hope this gives a little insight. Again apologize for the delay. Probably be tomorrow before I am able to respond again… housework today and bible study (yes, Christian!, although we are going through the Old Testament right now)
John

4 Likes

I’m a Christian

6 Likes

Well, thank you for that detailed response. I feel like I know so much about you, it’s like we’re brothers. :laughing:

On a serious note. Thank you for serving in the US army. It is an honor to talk to people that put their lives on the line for everybody.

4 Likes

Sorry I have not responded yet @John512. I’m working 75 hours a week right now. And it’s hard to find time to look stuff up. If I’m not working, Im sleeping. I do want to continue this conversation. Bear with me and I will respond eventually.

2 Likes

No worries! YOU are doing better than I. This is the first time I have had a chance to log back into the forum since my post and it was prompted by your message. Totally get the busy thing. Between Election chaos, new COVID rules, upcoming holidays and prepping things for winter (I live on a farm), I have felt overwhelmed myself. Take your time and dont do what I sometimes do… post without thinking through what I am trying to say. I am looking out the window at a partial blue sky for the first time in a week. Been pouring rain here in the Pacific North West. Just post when you have time!
John

2 Likes

So will try to be serious this time around. I’m Lutheran by baptism. Not a fan of preachers only because I haven’t found a good man. Wed a catholic gal, raised the kids catholic ( as oath stated. Oathes are very serious to me) as she knew more about religion than I. My son is still catholic, daughter is Methodist, youngest is agnostic. What can I say they’re all good folks.

3 Likes

David, I know what you mean about Preachers. :rofl: I have a huge family of them. They are not to be trusted. :rofl:. Actually one carries at church as an elder.

5 Likes

David… Great name, the linage of the chosen! Seriously, I think the common thread is both of us, Jewish or Christian, is to live a life of charity, good deeds and intentions. We are all going to screw up. We are not perfect. But the important thing is in our minds and souls we do out best under circumstances, and when we mess up we ask forgiveness. In broad terms the way we ask forgiveness is different, but the spirit is the same.
I, in my own opinion, just believe the standards are different. Jews are expected to be “pure” (sorry, cant think of another term) so our judgement will be harsher.
I believe ALL good persons, despite mistakes will reach heaven. I believe as long as our intentions are good, although maybe incorrect, wont go to hell for acts we do in good faith.
HELL in Jewish belief is just a transition where your punishment is to realize the mistakes you made in life. You will be tormented by your own acts and thoughts. You basically are punishing yourself when you realize how you could have been a better person. After that, you still go to “heaven”. HELL is a temporary period where you reflect and feel your own guilt. Once done, you move to heaven.

4 Likes

I’m a born again christian

5 Likes

Catholic by birth and culture but mostly a Christian now since I believe Jesus to be my Savior by example. Consider myself as strongly spiritual as opposed to religious and do not faithfully go to any given Church but mostly float amongst a few and do my own homework on topics I need enlightenment about. Also God has a way of making the knowledge that I need clearly available to me, exactly when I need it without failure.

I have had enough personal experiences in my life to FIRMLY believe in an afterlife AND life(s) before the one now. I believe 100% there is a loving God and that he will make Himself known to all in some manner sometime in their life and that free will is the right of every human to recognize Him via faith, or not, and deal with the personal consequences of that decision.

5 Likes

A quote by Martin Luther, my Pastor shared this as being relevant to the times…“The Word of God is made known and comes when man is most desperate over everything, when he thinks that nothing is less likely to happen that what the Word of God says most certainly will happen. It comes to the weak and oppressed, to those in need. These receive it in such a way that all human boasting vanishes and nothing is credited to our own strength and energies, but all to God alone.”

5 Likes

I have been watching many YouTube videos of interviews with people who were declared dead then after a couple and up to 20 minutes later manage to survive. The similarities to their experiences is significant. ALL say they experienced very beautiful and peaceful memories. Joe Rogan on youtube has a few of these videos and there are many more. Death can be scary, but everyone of these people come back and say they no longer fear death. I find this comforting. I bring this up because I believe one of the major purposes of any faith or religion ultimately is a guide to help you accept death.

3 Likes

Or as they used to say, “There are no atheists in a fox hole.”.

6 Likes

Yes Sir, not a one. :wink:

4 Likes

Amazing how that works isnt it? : )

4 Likes

I have no problem talking about my chosen faith (Christianity); while I definitely don’t beat people over the head with it, neither do I shy away from sharing with people if it comes up in conversation (and interestingly enough, the more time goes buy, the more people bring it up).

With that said, as a long-time forum administrator/server guy, I’m rather amazed it’s allowed to be discussed at all. Two things that implode discussions pretty quickly are politics and religion.

With THAT being said…on the other hand, if we can keep a level head while discussing those things, it’s great training for EDC/CCW. LOL!

5 Likes