What is your go-to gun cleaning products?

Yes.
Bore snakes are for the quick and dirty.
Proper work still requires a brush, patches and solvent,
Nothings wrong with spoiling your pistola with a good thorough cleaning.

2 Likes

They used KY to lubricate cameras in the Arctic. Water soluble, it’s easy to remove and relube with an appropriate lubricant when operating in warmer climates

2 Likes

Well huh, learned something new today. Thanks. :+1:

Hello and welcome @Cameron24

Bore cleaner: Shooter’s Choice MC-7
Oil: I use grease. Shooter’s Choice.
Oil: Remoil

brand new or near enough as makes no difference

1 Like

I use Hoppes No 9 as powder solvent/cleaning agent. Soak for a minute or 2 followed by Bore Snake if I have one in that caliber (absolutely love them). Then lube with military surplus stuff (think it’s LSA) supposedly developed by US military, good from minus 25 degrees to over 100–it looks like snot. I have it in a needle oiler to just put a drop here and there, where needed.

1 Like

My method is a good method. I you make it too difficult, you will be self-defeating (unless you just LOVE cleaning guns). No need to make perfect the enemy of good.

1 Like

I agree with you 100% Many people over-think the cleaning process.

1 Like

Hilarious, Mike270. Thanks for the laugh.

My go-to is the Hoppes brand. I have used it on all of my guns since 2004 and it has not failed me up to this point.

I use a product called Gun Treatment, especially for semis. After the cleaner dissipates, it leaves behind a thin film of lube

2 Likes

Welcome to the Community Scott!

@Scott18 might be talking about my personal favorite, G96 Complete Gun Treatment. The first time I used it, I tried to use it like Break-Free: spray, scrub, wipe. Didn’t do a thing. I wandered off to get my other solvents and by the time I got back 2 minutes later, sheets of carbon from ages ago were flaking off parts that I hadn’t ever gotten clean; it was amazing. Which is exactly what you’re supposed to do, if I’d read the directions: spray, wait a minute, scrub, wipe.

1. It smells very nice. With all due respect to Hoppe’s #9, it’s got a nice vanilla sort of fragrance that doesn’t smell like chemicals.
  2. It’s a cleaner-lubricant-protectant, but if you let it evaporate before you put the gun back together, it doesn’t leave surfaces greasy.
  3. The label says, among other things, “contains lubricants which will not freeze, oxidize, or evaporate (the result of missile research)
” which has such a starry-eyed optimistic mid-20th century shining atomic future of prosperity vibe to it.

Yes that is the product I was referring to, been using it for years.

Hello and welcome @Brad53 @Scott18

1 Like

Bore snake meets bore anaconda

2 Likes

I picked up a new anaconda yesterday :grin:

1 Like

The gun, or the boresnake?:thinking:
If the gun, congratulations you rich bastid!!:rofl:

Worked for Colt in the early '80’s, almost went back about 6 years ago. Main perk was discounts on product. I would have been wondering where my paycheck went for sure.

Hydrosonic with WD40 and mineral spirits. Wipe down and blow out with compressor. Like new.

2 Likes