Refreshing Your Cleaning Supplies?

We’ve had numerous discussions about how often to clean our firearms, how many rounds we shoot between cleanings, how to clean a new firearm and more.

There are numerous great brands of cleaning supplies to help you keep your firearm in tip-top shape. Using a quality product is worth the investment for ensuring your firearm will operate exactly AS you need it to exactly WHEN you need it to.

How often do you have to replace your cleaning supplies?

Specifically, how often do you replace the brushes and fluids?

3 Likes

I haven’t had to yet. A side benefit of cleaning only when necessary, I suppose. I tried gun scrubber and a few CLP products without satisfaction and ended back on Hoppes cleaner and their oil.

4 Likes

At least twice a year ( every 6 mos.) I replace my oil and lubricant. I can go a while with brushes, patches and cleaning rags. Bore snakes you can go a while with.

4 Likes

I’ve been shooting for 15 months only. I’ve been testing a lot of cleaning supplies to find the “perfect one”… so probably no need for replacement for next 2 years :face_with_hand_over_mouth:
(I do not consider this as hoarding) :wink:

UPDATE: nylon brushes - still OK after 15 months (original brush and toothbrush), brass brush - every 6 months

5 Likes

Have you found “The one” yet?

2 Likes

Yes, I have.
Barrel - Hoppe’s 9 Bore Cleaner (for really bad, dirty barrel - J-B Compound)
Cleaner - first run - Hoppe’s Elite Cleaner, second run - Hornady OneShot
Lube/protection - Eezox to wipe cleaned parts and finish outside the firearm
Lube/anti friction - G96 Liquid Grease

Hornady OneShot cleaner cleans so great that the firearm looks like brand new. It also evaporates quickly, leaving light protective film so works great in sear / hammer area.

6 Likes

Until the pandemic, I used to shoot weekly if not more, brushes and bore snakes, silicone wipes are replaced yearly and my fluids are purchased by the gallon when available. I hate running to the store and I don’t like running out of things.
After every shoot, if I’m lazy, it’s CLP and bore snakes, otherwise it’s the MPro7 system and Wilson Combat ultimate lube. On a yearly basis it’s Balistol on all moving parts.
All these products are safe to use indoors, I used to use Hoppes until it almost killed me, indoors. Balistol can be strong in a small room I actually recommend using Hoppes and Balistol outdoors.
Big fan of MPro7 tasteless and odorless.

4 Likes

They are on the same schedule as cleaning my Glocks. At least every three decades. Better safe than sorry I always say.

8 Likes

I go through nylon toothbrushes and cloth patches quite a bit. I replaced a .22LR bore-snake that broke. I think I’ve bought a couple of bottle of MPro7 cleaner, but the oil takes a good while to go through I may still be on the first bottle.

4 Likes

I usually stock up on Black Friday for the year. There are always a few unplanned additions during the year such as new products (every time Lucas makes a new oil color) and when I forget to pack something for a trip.

2 Likes

I buy new supplies when I run short of the supplies I already have. I use them up faster than they’ll become unstable from age.
In the odd chance I do run out, I know what substitutes will work just as well—like Wahl electric clipper oil— until I can make it to the store for resupply.

2 Likes

I like to change mine every four months. I shoot every week though. I buy CLP, parts cleaner, gun oil which is not the same because it is a little heavier than CLP, I also use a sonic cleaner too.

4 Likes

I am new to this so I have been shooting actively for 3 months I think - I clean my gun after every use - I have been using Hoppe’s Bore and Lube Products. I am happy with Hoppe’s does the job -

I have read a number of post that some dont clean their guns regularly.

6 Likes

@DavidM58 Before I respond, define “regularly” please. Do you mean by the volume of rounds or a timeframe?

1 Like

lol - Well most post I have read some do cleaning yearly and some do after a large amount of rounds - I am not sure time frame apply - I think I question what is a life span of a gun - based on feedback I found it to be instrumental for me to clean after each use and that is currently weekly 100 rounds - It allows me to practice safety handling and learning to clean properly or rather clean to my satisfaction

5 Likes

@DavidM58 Firearms, with regular maintenance and cleaning can last long after you are gone. Look at some of the vintage weapons people sometimes bring to the range.
I know I may joke too much about never having to clean Glocks, but I like a clean gun and enjoy just sitting down, relaxing, listening to music while I clean them. I always clean my firearms after using live rounds. But the vast majority of my training is dry fire or laser systems. No need to really clean anything, just maybe a little oil on the slide and barrel occasionally. If I lived where I could shoot daily out my back door I probably wouldn’t clean them after each time I fired. But I don’t have that opportunity.
And I take all my firearms to my gunsmith each year for their annual check-up. Nothing wrong with having a second set of eyes and hands on your gun.

6 Likes

Has anyone tried Shooter lube? I ordered some because it had very good reviews, I’ll let you know.

3 Likes

Hmmm you can take your gun in for a tune up -?

3 Likes

Yes you can. Drop it off at a good gunsmith and he can do a full clean and inspection. He will also take a look at your springs and replace as necessary. But springs should be replaced on a regular interval depending on type of spring. You can do it all yourself very easily as well. Most guns are very easy to fully disassemble and reassemble.

3 Likes

I have recently discovered Hoppes Gun Medic spray. The theory is you spray this stuff on a bolt carrier on into a pistol to keep it running till you get home, etc. Hence the name Gun Medic. I have used it for this during long range visits.
I myself also use it as a pre-cleaner before I start a proper cleaning. It is under a lot of pressure and blasts away crud, carbon, dirt. It dissolves stuff quickly. It also leaves behind a nice, thin coat of lubricant. Hornaday One Shot is a similar product. It is really good at cleaning the little nooks and crannies.
I really like it and order it all the time. Wal Mart sells it in the small can. Midway sells it also in the large 10 Ounce can. Thought I would pass this information along.

3 Likes