What is the best long term storage method for firearms

• Cleaned, oiled, and stored in the safe with a dehumidifier and nothing in direct contact with metal parts
  • Cleaned, wiped with storage lube, vacuum packed in a food saver bag with desiccant and buried behind the apple tree
  • Cleaned daily, on your person every waking moment and under your pillow at night.

0 voters

Your thoughts or other suggestions are welcomed.

1 Like

Sent to me, and I will take loving care of it for you.

6 Likes

That could be a new business opportunityā€¦ā€˜Send it to me firearms storageā€™.
Marketing --> Have you ever wanted to own a firearm, but you werenā€™t sure if you could trust yourself or your loved one with it? Well now you can be a gun owner in a 100% guaranteed safe fashion. Just use ā€˜Send It To Meā€™ and for a small monthly fee I will professionally store and maintain your firearms. Weekly live fire function tests free to the first hundred customers.
Multi-gun discounts may apply.

See what Covid-Cabin Fever can do to once normal personā€¦

5 Likes

On the guns that I donā€™t use now I keep them in the safe well cleaned and lubed for there specific needs, my safe have lots of dehumidifier bags so no humidity is in the safe, now thats not to say that my carry guns donā€™t get the same treatment because they do but more so because i carry them in all situations.

2 Likes

If itā€™s not a daily readied firearm then at the bottom of the lake with my boatā€¦I will morn the loss until theyā€™re needed.

3 Likes

I have had exceptional luck with just oiling them and using desiccant in a safe. The vast majority of my guns are collectable and as such there is a healthy array of walnut and parkerized steel, not so many polished blue ones and a fair sprinkling of ā€œotherā€. The only issue was with a black powder rifle that I failed to clean fully intending to go hunting with it again and I got deployed a week later for 6 months. That rifle still haunts me. I did get rust on my first AK-47 muzzle compensator but that was due to improper cleaning after shooting Russian Spam Can ammo. Again my fault. Probably 90% of them have not been handled (other than to dig something out) in any meaningful way in several years.

Now if for some reason I had to put my guns ā€œUPā€ the seal a meal bags are a very viable option but the trick is to keep the desiccant separate from the gun. To do that I would seal the bottom all the way across then seal the top but leave about 1 - 2" gap, then put the desiccant in and seal the top with the air sucker thinggy. Then I could just hang the whole mess up on a coat hanger. I also understand that 6 - 10" PVC drain pipes are handy for ā€œReady Serviceā€ options.

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

Keep mine (except long guns) in the cases with desiccant & dry-rid in the box. Did this for many years. I do like the way hickok45 stores his.