Long term storage

I’m spending 6 to 8 months in Ohio from Florida. May through October. What’s the best way to store a hand gun. In a mobile home , no AC. My concern is the humidity. Also storing ammo under same conditions. Thanks for all advice

2 Likes

Wrap hand gun in this stuff and seal inside a large ZipLoc bag. Do not put any other paper or cardboard products inside the bag. Then lock the bagged and wrapped pistol in a gun safe. Nothing else is going to work reliably in a mobile home in FL with no AC on through the summer.

I keep sheets of this stuff lining the bottoms of my metal cabinets and drawers in tool chests, a sheet goes in each sealed ammo can, etc. This is what the DoD uses nowadays for long-term storage of weapons, tools, spare parts, etc.

3 Likes

On Amazon, but shop around.
AmazonSmile: Armor Protective Packaging A30G0606 VCI Paper Prevents Rust, Corrosion On Ferrous and Non-Ferrous Metal, 6" X 6" Sheet (Pack of 1000): Industrial & Scientific

If you need access to the firearm, you may want to look into an airtight container or safe with desiccant packs inside. There are rechargeable (by heating) dessicant packs available.

2 Likes

I agree with PDA3 I use desiccant bags in my safe, ammo cans with good seals to make them airtight, it has worked for me many of year and different places.

3 Likes

Grab a microfiber and a bottle of Hoppe’s to make towel damp wrap up in Ziploc. Ammo too.

re: “Grab a microfiber and a bottle of Hoppe’s to make towel damp wrap up in Ziploc. Ammo too”

I wouldn’t. Hoppe’s is a solvent. It breaks down oil. Especially not the ammo. Hoppe’s can permeate the primer and powder and ruin it. I wouldn’t risk it.

I’d suggest a silicone gun sock. Several months isn’t going to hurt anything anyway unless it’s stored in a cardboard box on a beach near the ocean.

It’s my lack of detail referring to the actual gun oil and not the bore cleaner or solvent.

My preference storing ammunition is vacuum sealing. Right or wrong idk but seems to work.

3 Likes

Interesting. Those little desiccant packs can be bought in bulk for cheap, too.

1 Like

Some added info there is different options too silica packs (cheap/bulk buy) or “rechargeable” packs (re-useable, place in oven) usually made of Carbon. it’s matter of personal preference so your call.

1 Like

Tired of buying 50cal surplus ammo cans lol

1 Like

I just figured when it’s vacuum sealed less worry on my mind so took that route. I throw in silica packs for good measure lol.

3 Likes

4 Likes

OoOoOo that is an excellent idea

1 Like

I hadn’t realized how useful some of the better quality cannisters can be for storing ammo for optimal integrity.

1 Like