What is an Assault Rifle

Get ready to see a lot of this with Remington’s recent settlement. Gun companies will be held liable for how they market a gun. “Sporting” will be the safest way to market.

6 Likes

That’s not really true. In 38 states, with the proper tax stamp, anyone can legally purchase a pre-1986 machine gun. If you have a class 3 weapons FFL license, you can buy new ones as well. That tells me that with the 200 dollar tax, the overwhelming majority have the legal right to buy a machine gun.

9 Likes

The only gun we should call an assault rifle is the Sturmgewhr 44. It’s name literally translates to “assault rifle.”

7 Likes

Assault Pen

5 Likes

Kind of a stretch of the numbers wouldn’t you say?

No. Non-felon, American citizens, age 21 or older, living in one of 38 states, who will go through the process of getting the proper tax stamp could legally buy pre 1986 fully automatic weapons.

7 Likes

AR-15
AR stands for “Armalite Rifle”, named after the company that developed this firearm. Contrary to popular beliefs it is not “assault rifle” or even “automatic rifle”.

What Does AR stand for in AR-15? americanshootingjournal.com
What Does AR stand for in AR-15?

For the record, AR-15 doesn’t even fit the characteristics needed to be considered a assault rifle . The U.S Army defines “assault rifle as” a short, compact, selective-fire weapons that fire a cartridge intermediate in power between sub machine gun and rifle cartridges. The firearm MUST HAVE at least the following to even be considered a assault rifle:

• It must be capable of selective fire.
  • It must have an intermediate-power cartridge: more power than a pistol but less than a standard rifle or battle rifle, such as the 7.92×33mm Kurz, the 7.62x39mm and the 5.56x45mm NATO.
  • Its ammunition must be supplied from a detachable box magazine.
  • It must have an effective range of at least 300 metres (330 yards).

Rifles that meet most of these criteria, but not all, are technically not assault rifles, despite frequently being called such.

For example:

• Select-fire M2 Carbines are not assault rifles; their effective range is only 200 yards.
  • Select-fire rifles such as the FN FAL battle rifle are not assault rifles; they fire full-powered rifle cartridges.
  • Semi-automatic-only rifles like the Colt AR-15 are not assault rifles; they do not have select-fire capabilities.
  • Semi-automatic-only rifles with fixed magazines like the SKS are not assault rifles; they do not have detachable box magazines and are not capable of automatic fire.
5 Likes

I wish somehow or someone can explain the facts and truth about and firearm like the AR15. When a
group of people get to being destructive and very much untruthful to cause FEAR in others, they themselves do not know anything about this equipment, the rifle or pistol. There are many experts in this field of many types of firearms and I enjoy learning from them.

I have 2 good AR15’s and I would love to learn more of the correct way to operate them.
Springfield and Sig Sauer.

1 Like

I’m trying to figure the math. It looks like about 79 million people live in no-machine-gun states. So maybe 75% of people if they are of age and not generally prohibited from firearms can theoretically buy a machine gun. If they have the $15,000 or more (give or take, whatever the desireables go for), and don’t mind the red tape and restrictions and extra legal risk.

Back of of napkin math

3 Likes

You are right. Also an assault rifle may be fired on automatic or semi-automatic. Civilian models do not have the automatic position.

2 Likes

100% untrue. It is more difficult and quite expensive to obtain automatic weapons, which is why many do not own them. It is 100% legal for those that are not “prohibited persons” to obtain, possess and use automatic weapons.

4 Likes

Wow, taking a whoopin on that sentence. I stand corrected, headed to my LGS to pick up my machine gun…

2 Likes

Sad thing is, it should be as easy as typing that sentence. We are not criminals. We should be able to go and buy a machine gun if we want. I’m in Illinois. I’m denied even being able to buy sound suppressors. Which would be so nice to have while hunting.

6 Likes

If they have any… and you have a big pile of money to spend… :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Personally I cringe when I hear (difficult to even type) “Assault rifle” , when they do away with assault cars, assault knives, assault bats, and every other object that can be used to inflict bodily injury or death then they can take the term (tearing up) Assault rifle and shove it where the sun doesn’t shine!!

1 Like

Darn right! Call 'em thug killers.

2 Likes

A lot of us find it hard to understand gun fearing denizens , it’s because like a religion it only has an effect on who’s indoctrinated in it. The koolade lost its flavor long ago “assault “ like “ cop killer bullet” like “bulletproof “vest the context is the tools have been used in the commission of crimes which change the frame work of its usage. If one was to use a knife to kill a whole classroom instead they would not ban the knife but claim no one should carry one ever change the tool to hammer then To screwdriver what ever the tool they will criminalize it . The problem is the people in control of our country don’t like civilians having the same power to stop them as they can employ to quell civil unrest

2 Likes

I hear a lot of muttonheds use “perfect” when they agree with something someone says or does, as if they’re rating everything like they were the galactic overlords. It is right up there with “of course” as if everything you say is being said by an idiot.

3 Likes

**Back a few decades ago the AK47 was the “assault rifle” according to the myopic left. It possessed magical powers far to amazing to envision. To those who’s intent is propaganda multiplied by abject stupidity, maybe someday coming down the line a gasoline powered pick up truck will be an “assault truck”. **
We’re dealing with folks who have an agenda. Semantics don’t mean squat, nor does knowledge or safe handling of firearms. IE: Years back Dianne Feinstein who was then the “queen of we gotta get rid of 'assault rifles” proceeded to make her somewhat fuzzy point during a session of congress by waving an AK47 around the entire chamber with her finger on the trigger. Mike we’re not dealing with intelligent and informed people here. Sadly even new gun owners are so enamored that they have a “real gun!” they not only employ whacko verbiage but have no clue how to even present said firearm.
**I believe the AR definition is Armalite… Assault rifle is a buzz term picked up by the “media” :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: years ago and dutifully repeated like a parrot stuck in a groove. Sadly even old time gun owners have started using this bogus term. **
Hmmm, maybe I should paint my truck to look like a tank and install a large gun barrel on the hood…VOILA!! Assault truck! :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face:

4 Likes

I’ll jump to the only part that matters. “Assault Riifle” is a political term that is constantly being redefined by politicians to include any rifle they want to ban from civilian ownership. …at least that’s what it’s come down to in California and has been infecting other states since Diane Feinstein tried putting a political definition on it back in the long, long ago. If my AR has a collapsible buttstock, it’s an evil “assault rifle”. But lock it in its extended position and it’s magically a harmless sporting rifle. :grin: Put a “flash hider” on it and it’s evil again. But put a “compensator” on it and it’s once again a happy sporting rifle. Etc… How one country’s military or another defines “assault rifle” isn’t the aspect that impacts civilians. If you read the laws that politicians are constantly churning out, they have a “definitions” section and those are the actual definitions that matter. Those definitions routinely demonstrate ignorance. But those are the definitions that impact our lives.

3 Likes