What hobbies do you have outside of firearms/self-defense?

Anyone can ride a unicycle. The trik is being able to ride it for more than 10 seconds!

3 Likes

Outside of firearms, I like to tinker with various vehicles and engines. Last year, I rebuilt the engine in my 1940 Farmall H tractor. I also have a 4 year old boy who keeps me busy haha!Screenshot_20180329-191014

9 Likes

My family has a couple old farmall tractors, including one my grandma helped buy during the depression. Theyā€™ve been rebuilt and one is on my cousinā€™s manure spreader. Yours looks nice!

4 Likes

What kind of cigars do you like, @ChrisH? Iā€™ve had a few - and enjoy one once in a blue moon,

3 Likes

@dawn, first vodka, now cigarsā€¦ Iā€™m getting a whole new picture here :smiley:
BTW did you see the vet-made bourbon I posted a link to?

3 Likes

Iā€™m an angelā€¦ :angel:

Bourbon isnā€™t one of my go to drinks, but it would make a great gift for a few people I know!

3 Likes

@James - Thanks. Iā€™ll be cranking her up this weekend, first time since last fall. I have a flat rear tire to repair, but the engine should run fine after I put some fresh gas into her.

3 Likes

Have you ever seen those tractors that start off of blank shotgun shells?

3 Likes

Waitā€¦ they what?

2 Likes

I messed up and edited my statement they werenā€™t .22 shells but shotgun blanks. Field Marshall tractors and some others. Fast forward to 3:12 to see the guy hit the shell with a hammer.

2 Likes

Itā€™s called a Coffman Engine Starter.

2 Likes

Ok that was awesome :smiley:
They sound like ā€œFargoā€
Glad my tractor just needs a key and an occasional shot of starter spray

2 Likes

If you think they sound like Fargo, come to WI.

3 Likes

Those Field Marshalls are very cool, but also rather rare here in the US (they are British in origin). Those ā€œhot bulbā€ one-lungers are a throwback to when engineers were still trying to figure out how to get small diesel engines to easily crank over. 6 volt and early 12 volt systems just did not have the amps to turn over such high compression engines. Shotgun shells seemed as good an idea as any then.

5 Likes

They also used them on snow cat engines as a secondary starter or emergency cold weather starter for a while.

4 Likes

@AAlan you say a few years back. How long have you been playing?

I mostly play guitar, I started in the 80s, went from the bedroom to the garage, clubs and studios back to the garage and bedroom.
Hereā€™s a pic when I had my set up in the bedroom.
50AAA7D9-B3AC-4A4B-9776-C6FDB25D905C

Hereā€™s my set up I used in the clubs in in the 2000s up until I stopped playing in bands.
3B7C968E-91A0-4595-82DA-49224D7137C5

Hereā€™s my last show about 13 years ago.
9978DEB0-CE14-4063-ADE3-9B55457F8BD1 033365BE-A7E9-4E6F-A16A-C3E48E7E3EB7 B4070840-6990-44F6-865A-81C9BC4258CF

Here are my two current favorite guitars, the rest are packed away until I redo the garage. The last pic is a tone editor I use to save my amp modeling settings. I use the Peavey 5150 amp model, nowhere near the 1st gen 5150s that I used in tone but close enough and nowhere near the hefty lbs to have to lug around.
193A7730-6842-4361-8454-FF2339428509 E5A17EB4-1C1E-4666-BF08-C28C37986FFC

I remember my good friend picked up a peavey bass and it was pretty nice. I played a little bass on my scratch demos I would record song ideas and take to my band to work on and got into bass a bit more.

I still have a Fernandes Tremor bass it has a jazz neck pickup with an MM4 bridge pickup. I used to have both an Ibanez SR400 and Squire 5 string Pbass. I picked up a great deal on an Ampeg BA500 210 combo, thing is a beast itā€™s so heavy.

I used to play direct with a line6 pod pro liveXT with a gallien krueger or ampeg svt modeled amp setting with a touch of chorus and modeled 4x10 cab.

By no means a soulful bass player, can only play rock and metal styles grooves both pick and finger style playing. Tried drums and Iā€™m not able to walk and chew bubble gum, I did pick up the keyboard a bit but make no mistake I like different styles of music but when it comes to playing Iā€™m like a one trick pony with Rock/Metal.

4 Likes

Four years. ā€œA few years backā€ was literal. I worked soundboards for churches since I was 20. 8 years ago, I scored the lead role in our production of ā€œThe Gospel According to Scroogeā€, rediscovered my love for the spotlight. Got tired of sitting behind the scenes. My son was playing bass, wanted to learn lead electric. So I said gimme a year to learn to learn bass, and weā€™ll switch. I bought a bass, and literally, this is A, this is D, is isā€¦ uhā€¦ Gā€¦ Not a year. Two weeks after buying the bass, my son was in a motorcycle accident and royally messed up his left arm. (Heā€™s fine now.) So three weeks after buying the bass, I found myself on stage on Sunday morning. Took me a few months to even feel comfortable playing. Between working two jobs and all my other hobbies (unicycling, gardening, fitness, to name a few), I had little time to practice, but knew bass was my thing. Just last year I changed jobs, and canā€™t make rehearsals anymore, so Iā€™m out. I miss it terribly.

My music of choice is funk. If I had learned bass at a young age, I would be a funkmaster.

Love your whole setup. Iā€™m always jealous of those who put many years into music, and have a lot of regrets for not going there much sooner. Would love to hear if you have anything online.

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing @AAlan , music literally kept me out of trouble I grew up with awesome family to guide and encourage me.

Later in life I found performing and writing music a huge outlet and emotional purge. This is my take away, God gifted both of us with music to connect with ourselves and give something for others to connect with at a time when it was needed most.

Glad to hear everyoneā€™s doing well. I feel it is only appropriate you pursue taking the time to getting funky and changing your call sign to funkmaster

I lost my sound files on my PC hard drive, I used to be able to keep them in the cloud and now thatā€™s gone as the software provider took those servers offline. I might be able to get a sound file off an old iPod I have, darn iTunes purged my recordings with an update and I lost that as well.

My goal is to set up recording again. In the meanwhile I see what I can do to share.

2 Likes

I like the sound of Funkmaster, but Iā€™d be more like Funknoob for a while. Besides, AAlan speaks more to my 2A purpose of being here.

Thats really a shame about losing all of your music. Canā€™t trust anyone. We couldnā€™t record our playing due to copyright infringements. Like most churches, weā€™re licensed to play, but no recordings.

And youā€™re right about time and place. I suspect another outlet for groovinā€™ may surface at some point. I gotta be ready to ride that wave.

Good luck with the writing. Takes a special person to write good music.

3 Likes

Oh, I forgotā€¦ breeding rare livestock.
And pickling.

4 Likes