What Happens if you have to go to Court

With USCCA covering costs and you lose in court? Are you now on the hook for all of the court fees and legal costs? Will your USCCA Lawyer handle the Appeal or are you now on your own? I ask because a friend and I were having a discussion about USCCA vs US law shield and he told me he just switched from USCCA because he had a friend who had an incident on his property where he was forced to shoot and they lost in court. Says the friend was on the hook for all of the Court costs. Sounds fishy to me but something I would like to know beforehand. What would cause USCCA to pull out like that?

5 Likes

@SeniorChiefZ - welcome to the community. This page (scroll down to the section titled Self Defense Liability-Insurance) contains good information about the self-defense coverage. I don’t know what your friend’s friend experienced, but it doesn’t sound like the service I have come to expect from USCCA.

5 Likes

The Person in question lives in Maryland, where my family lives. He was home and there was a wreck on his property, he went out to assist he pulled people out and the driver was belligerent and intoxicated. The driver got aggressive and went after him. After separating himself he pulled his firearm and shot the attacker twice. They ended up in court and they Lost. Now (supposedly) he is in jail and USCCA is not appealing and left him with the court costs. I told My friend that it sounds like his friend left something out of the story and something came out in court that caused USCCA to back out (if that was the case at all) So I m curious if that was or is even a thing…

5 Likes

Thank you for the welcome. I have been a member for 5 years and think that I have made the most well informed choice by going with USCCA.

Andy

6 Likes

Welcome to the Community @SeniorChiefZ.
I understand your curiosity but my guess is that you have to talk with USCCA directly to get the answer.
Even the terms of contract are the same for all USCCA members, each shooting incident is gonna be different. And first of all - it has to be an act of self defense.
It must be some info missing in the story about the incident.
:thinking:

5 Likes

This is exactly the conclusion I also drew.

5 Likes

Welcome to the family brother and god bless you and thank you for your service.

4 Likes

@SeniorChiefZ.
Welcome to the community.
COBRA01
Train Hard and Stay Safe

3 Likes

^^^ What @OldGnome suggested. Check out the documents on that page for full details.

4 Likes