What do you wish your local shooting range had?

Ohhhh… I want to blow up a car! :boom:

Wait! That sounded terrible! I want to shoot a car with a .50 cal in a safe and secure environment - just for fun! :laughing:

2 Likes

We have a local range, that has a 500 yard rifle range. At 500, there is an old van with a rubber dummy in the sliding door. No caliber restriction. They also have regular paper pistol targets, no handgun caliber restrictions. The final part is a reactive pistol, aka knockdown plates. No magnum calibers. Not because they are too powerful. It’s because they were getting splatter back at 25 yards. I keep watching for them to have membership openings. Membership is 250 a year, unlimited usage, except during deer season, the owners hunt on that property.

3 Likes

There’s a waiting list for membership, @45IPAC? Wow!

I’m surprised there would be any deer near there with all of the shooting going on! :deer:

3 Likes

It’s Southern Illinois. Deer are literally everywhere.

3 Likes

I wish tritac shooting and range solutions in Salem, Oregon would bring back the scenario training simulator. I have done it before and it is fantastic training. There was one i will never forget. Imagine yourself in an active shooter situation in your local office. It is a multilevel facility. You are coming back to your desk from your lunch break. All of a sudden you hear 3 loud bangs and screaming. You are thinking my god this cant be what i think it is. Your heart starts beating erratically. The choices you make and how you interact will determine whther you live or die. What would you do when you hear the gun fire? You have no idea if it is a lone shooter or a group. You exit the staircase and have your gun drawn. Your palms are sweaty you have tunnel vision and you have a hard time hearing what people are saying. As you exit the staircase you come upon a guy laying in the main hallway. He’s bleeding and he’s scared. What would you ask him? You will learn all this and more. Can you deescalate an enraged gunman or will there be a shootout? Even having done this training i will never forget it. Although it is a simulator the memory of it stays with you forever. Nothing can EVER prepare you for the real thing. It is an unbelievable nightmare. I was almost involved in a deadly force incident 9 years ago and it was very scary. And i didnt have USCCA coverage at the time. You will not only get to practice these scenarios on up too 5 screens but get feedback on the choices you make from the instructor who will evaluate your scenarios.

4 Likes

If you have one near you Gander Mountain offers this. I highly recommend it.

3 Likes

Our range here is outdoors. A nice indoor would be nice for the winter months. Out door 2 25 yard,3 100yard, and an area that goes out to 400 yards with various distances.

4 Likes

@Lakerfan34

Didnt know Tritac had that, been forever since ive been there though, a good bit before the fire they had…

3 Likes

You can bring your own ammo Dawn, you can’t use reloads, I got permission from the owner because we’re friends and he knows that I have a good idea of what I’m doing, but some of these ROs let the title go to their head wickedly. I could tell you a few stories, just a power trip for them, I’ve modified the springs in my competition guns so I can come back to zero really fast, just like everyone else does, but with doing that, you shouldn’t really use factory ammo, it will pound the frame if the pistol, my reloads are bunny farts :joy:, they are about 2/3 the power of factory ammo, no recoil, no muzzle rise, yet the pistol functions flawlessly. Even with permission, some of the ROs there will give you a really hard time even though they know your good to go. Also no holsters, and only one shot per second. I’m not paying $675.00 for that kind of abuse.

3 Likes

I know of several ranges in my area. I’ve only been to two, one outdoor and the other recently remodeled indoor. I like both. The open range has a bow range with all sorts of decoy targets, skeet range, handgun ranges, rifle ranges, etc. there are even metal targets, Cowboys and others. I just went there this past week. The indoor range offers gun rental, has a gunsmith and store. No steel ammo. If I want to draw I can go to the outdoor range if I join - $300 first year + $75 background check and $75/yr afterwards. But you have to come prepared with your own gear.

I’d like a café shop with snacks to make it a longer trip and a way to capture my wife and daughter’s attention.

4 Likes

That’s cool mdstanzel, the first year is always the big one, but .75.00 a year is really reasonable, are there a lot of members at this club? Just wondering how they can update equipment and maintain regular maintenance with a .75.00 yearly membership, I’m thinking maybe a volume business?

3 Likes

That’s what I need is access to a 400 yard range. :sunglasses:

5 Likes

My friend, who is also a range officer, told me there’s about 1500 members but many rarely show up. When we were there on a weekday last week there was about 4 of us total. It’s a huge place.

3 Likes

I really wish they brought it back. Threat Dynamics up in Sherwood has it and it is great training but the drive to get there isn’t always convenient. Right now I am demoing the the VST pro system offered by Laser ammo and it is excellent but I’m not sure if I want to pay the $730 to buy it. That is expensive. However I am going to get the smokeless range system after I get back home from the USCCA concealed carry expo. =)

3 Likes

Maybe one day that they will teach us how to operate .50 Caliber. (anything)

I believe that there is a Desert Eagle .50 caliber BMG. About $7 to $8 a shot

and it is a single shot and if it would to be used in a Self Defense situation there

would not be much left to worry over, much !!!

2 Likes

We have a Desert Eagle at the range where I work for fun - it’s about $7 a shot for the first 5 rounds. All I can say is ouch on either end of the gun. :wink:

3 Likes

I recently viewed a training video and would add a car to my wish list. If fact I might ask the owner if I can trailer in a junk yard car and practice shooting from it. It’s owned by combat vets. They may want in on the action.

But actually drawing and shooting from a car while buckled in would be amazing experience in seeing what actually works

2 Likes

@Dawn we sold the Desert Eagle .50 because it’s a LOT per bang even if you reload. It was pretty fun to shoot, but OUCH.

The local range near work in MI is new and nice. Pistol bay, rifle bay, and a tactical bay where they do things like a shoot-house event a couple times a year. Lots of guns to rent, but you have to use their ammo for the rentals (that’s ok, if not entirely cheap.) You can shoot your own reloads in your own gun, no steel core ammo, no draw from holster, and the other typical restrictions for an indoor range.

They do have some IPSC type courses and a league, CCW classes, other shooting skills classes including low-light and self defense, and a ladies night. Gonna try out the ladies night next week. Nice lounge area, good selection of goods, and free weekday range time for members (depending on your membership.) Not too expensive, about $40/mo for the membership type I have… which is ok if you actually go to the range.

Wish they had draw-from-holster and rapid fire setups. Active targets might be nice too. And free soda fountain :slight_smile: or gatorade slushies :smiley: but other than that… not a lot of needs.

My home range is my yard :smiley: It needs active targets. And a chef. A chef would be good. And a housekeeper. And a couple more farm hands. :smiley:

2 Likes

The Gun Club I just recently joined, Union Hill Gun Club in Monroe, NJ, has 15 lanes at 25 yards upstairs (divided into rooms of 5 lanes each) and 15 lanes at 45 yards downstairs (divided into rooms of 5 lanes each). They have a lounge for relaxing before or after shooting. They have a Gun Shop with Rentals (Legend Firearms) and they have 24 hour access if you pay the premium membership. I opted for the Daytimer because I don’t go out shooting at night and it costs me just under $300 a year with my Veterans Discount.

Could they put in a Vegan Snackbar? Maybe that’s asking a bit too much. :joy:

It would be nice if they had an outdoor range as well but in New Jersey that’s probably asking a bit too much.

1 Like

That’s pretty standard at ranges. They know where their ammo has come from and that’s best for their guns. So many inexperienced people use rental guns, having a known ammo is definitely for everyone’s safety.

1 Like