What do we do?

If a person is being honest with themselves and whatever side of the gun debate must ask the following:

1. We have an immediate issue, why is there absolutely no bills or executive orders to harden schools? We (our politicians) sent 10’s of billions without batting an eye to the Ukraine, but $0 to harden schools.

2. in lieu of the previous question, why gun bans? Those are if past a long term “solution” to the previous question.

3. Why are all these bills 100’s of pages long in legalese when only days have passed?

4. Why is the political class exempt from all these proposed laws?

Not a conspiracy theorist, however there is plenty of fodder available for those that are.

5 Likes

I don’t know the model, it was interesting that why I clicked on it ; as Usual it was misleading. :question::question:

4 Likes

Put a couple of these in schools.

2 Likes

A lot of schools are not designed to be hardened. The majority of teachers and students aren’t likely to do a good job at maintaining security anyways no matter how many features you add. Even if they were the kids are going to be outside for recess and gym, unless they are in an urban area. I feel sorry for the kids trapped inside all day! They also have to leave the building to get on buses regardless.

Some added passive security measures might make things a little safer but properly vetted, trained and armed on site responders is clearly the best answer. I think having that response being unknown members of the school staff is better than having a uniformed LEO for a variety of reasons. It would also be one of the the least expensive options.

3 Likes

When I speak of “hardening” I am not just speaking of more secure buildings. Our political and entertainment elites barking for gun control and bans all have private security. We even have police at schoolboard meetings. Just who are we trying to protect?

5 Likes

to flush this murderer out, why didn’t they shoot tear gas through a window or something similar? I would rather my child get a lung full of CS gas than a “lung blown out”.

3 Likes

You make some good points. However none of those can’t be addressed with some careful planning.
kids on recess-have a 10’ solid wall around the school
getting on buses-plan out how the buses are arranged and line up the kids inside to get them on the appropriate bus number
excercise-in a lot places its too cold in the winter anyways, let them run around in the gym works as well with lots of sun light coming in

3 Likes

They also dropped over 1 billion to harden congresses security….

7 Likes

I do understand that it may not be healthy for students to be locked inside all day. I don’t think we need to make schools prisons of sorts, but is it really out of the question to have armed security, even if it’s just a highly trained security guard. I don’t understand why that’s not something sides of the political isle can’t get behind (other than one side is trying to push an agenda, not actually protect kids).

You can’t guarantee 100% safety in really any context. BUT you can create an environment where someone who’s going to show up and do evil things doesn’t need to feel confident that everyone is unarmed. Mass shooters shouldn’t feel safe when they run through a school with a rifle. They should know an armed good man or woman could be meeting them at any corner.

4 Likes

Like a lot of ppl are saying: lets put our retired police and military personnel to work defending our schools. Many would more than likely volunteer, would only need a small amount of training and would be easy on the local budget. I know I would volunteer since I only work part time 2 or 3 days a week.

4 Likes

I think the training for dealing with an active shooter should be more than a small amount. But it should be doable. Paying armed guardians might be a small piece of the pie for large school districts but there are a lot of rural districts that can barely afford their teachers. More funding would be needed or just train volunteer staff which I think is a better idea. Again both doable given the amount of money the government is throwing around. At least until everyone realizes how worthless that money really is.

2 Likes

I mean a small amount to get/be qualified again. It depends on money whether we like it or not. Recently the county board wanted to sneak a increase on property tax by 10% to pay for a newer/bigger jail. The current jail is pretty new. I’m retired and any increases hurts. If it gets much worse, I’ll have to get and learn to handle a horse and buggy.

3 Likes

I feel the reason there’s no security at schools is because you would stop the drug trade, c’mon man, my daughters high school had a bigger pharmacy than CVS! In a middle class neighborhood.

There are cameras on every street corner, the last bastion for drug sales is a gun free ( and drug free, of course! ) school!
Armed guards, teachers and metal detectors my gosh sounds like the TSA. Don’t say it, ugh, even the TSA finds a gun now and then! Go figure.

Maybe we go back to boy’s school and girls school, and yeah!, don’t even go there! However if that’s the way it’s gotta be, well,
I hope I’m 6’ under by that time!

Banning guns creates necessity, and that’s a mother… of invention… so now we’ll have semi auto hammers, pockets full of acid, nerf balls with razors, the point is, pissed off people will find a way to harm one another! Soon the IPhone 42 will have lasers, tasers and phasers, oh my!

So, “what do we do now” is as philosophical as why am I here, is there a god, why is the sky blue, does free will exist, or is every action predetermined, can people change?

2 Likes

Yes. Red is absorbed by atmosphere better. Somewhat, before conversion. Affirmative. Soit-n-ly.

2 Likes

B21. Northrup Grumman.
@Blacky …that robot is hilarious, but iirc It’s cgi (computer generated). Fooled me the first 10 times I watched it.

3 Likes

Today, go down to the local sign shop and get PARENT PATROL stickers to put on your jacket or shirt for that event, should it happen.
The day it happens, smack that sticker on, arm up, and you and your buddies with children might storm the damned school, taking out the perps in a timely fashion. Then talk to the media about the absolutely worthless pusheads in the local police force who DIDN’T save the kids. HOPEFULLY, your local cops would actually stop the killing quickly, so you’ll never need the stickers.

1 Like

… “in life, echos in eternity”.

2 Likes

I had something like this happen to my daughter on 12/19/18 (you can search it on this site by that date). I went for it as fast as I could. I beat the police there and I came loaded for bear. 0 Regrets

3 Likes

Still don’t guarantee anything. I bit the bullet, pun intended, and sent my son to a private school. Other than educational value, I’m not sure private schools would be any better than public schools for safety reasons. He said he could by all the drugs he wanted at that school. When there are drugs, violence eventually arrives as well.

4 Likes

These are statistically rare events. According to the US Secret Service (as of a couple of years ago, I’m sure the statistics are still similar), schools are still one of the safest places for children. Your kids are safer at school than they are almost anywhere else. I’m not suggesting complacency and if it can happen at an Amish schoolhouse in rural PA, it can happen anywhere.

I’m not sure you can 100% prevent these things without turning the school into a prison. I don’t want that for me or my kids. We need to do our best to implement reasonable security measures and trust God for the rest.

Someone referenced training. FASTER Saves Lives offers their training to school staff free of charge. It’s excellent stuff. That is the minimum training standard that should be required for armed school staff. It requires an initial one day foundations class, then a three day Level 1 class. They also have a three day Level 2 class. They have a live fire shoot house, do force on force scenarios with air soft, and give the students an enhanced OPOTA shooting qualification demanding a higher hit rate than the state of Ohio requires of peace officers. It includes shooting and moving, offhand shooting, reloads, head shots, all under the stress of a timer. The concealed carrier only has to pay for ammo and travel. Even the motel is included free of charge. This is affordable training that will take someone from the ground up and get them trained at a level that they claim exceeds the average law enforcement officer when it comes to shooting and responding to mass shooters. They also focus on medical response and send each student home from Level I with a trauma kit. I think medical training for school staff just might be the most overlooked area of school security. Many teachers are CPR trained. They should also be trained in Stop the Bleed.

In answer to “what can we do?” I suggest taking kids out of the public school system. Private education is worth the cost. Homeschooling is cheaper yet. I know those options aren’t for everyone and I know money doesn’t grow on trees. Someone said private schools may not be safer than public. I haven’t done the study, but I suspect if we did, we would find private schools in general and Christian schools in particular have a lower incidence of violence than public schools. Whatever you do, choose your child’s school carefully. But, again, it happened at an Amish school, so it can happen anywhere.

Unfortunately, our nation has developed a culture of death. We kicked God of of public schools. We can no longer tell our kids God said, “thou shalt not kill.” We kill kids by the millions through abortion. We are destroying the nuclear family. (How many school shooters have had intact homes? Some have. Many have not. How many of those homes have both a mom and a dad who are highly involved in the lives of their children?) I respectfully think we have the answer as why this happens.

What can you do? Be a good involved mom or dad. Be close to your kids. Specifically, know your kid’s friends. The Secret Service talks about “leakage” where these shooters often communicate their intentions ahead of time. There was a failure of the community to report this guy. From a standpoint of security, we want redundant perimeters around the school (e.g. a locked door). I suggest the community act as a “perimeter” where someone who sees something on social media or whatever, actually says something. (Of course, in Parkland law enforcement absolutely failed to respond appropriately to multiple concerns.) Teenagers have a code of silence where they don’t “rat” out other kids. That code of silence needs to be broken. Parents need to foster an open and transparent relationship with their children. Parents should be monitoring their kids’ phones, social media accounts, and online presence.

Sorry for the long post.

6 Likes