What Did Ammo Use To Cost?

Got back into shooting about a year ago after a long hiatus. I hear a lot about how high the cost of ammo is compared to just a few years back. I haven’t know anything other than $.30 per round 9mm or $.60 per round 5.56. So make me cry and tell me what ammo used to cost before prices surged.

3 Likes

Prices have more than tripled in the past 25 - 28 years. Used to pay about $250 for a 1000 rounds 5.56 now it’s over $650.

2 Likes

Google can help you.

2 Likes

If 30 cents/round of 9mm is all you know, you’re doing ok. You missed the peak when it was 80 cents to over $1 per round, and that’s if you could get it.

I started shooting way back in the 80s and my foggy memory recalls 5-7 cents was the norm. Although I learned to reload back then, it didn’t make financial sense to do it.

Here’s a site that tracks ammo prices, but only started in 2020.

2 Likes

I do remember when .410 was an affordable way to have some fun shooting. Now I’m more likely to see a unicorn than even find a box of .410.

3 Likes

Pre-plandemic, I was buying .357 mag for 17 dollars a box of 50, 45 acp was 12 bucks, and CCI Minimags were 6.99 per hundred. Oh, and a box of 12 gauge target loads was 4.99

3 Likes

Do you really want to cry? And my teen years I could buy 22 shorts for 50 cents a box of 100! Lol

4 Likes

I’m thrilled to pay 8.50 for target loads at the club.

2 Likes

I knew I’d regret asking :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Invest time and money in reloading tools.

I’ve heard people say it is not really that much cheaper.

2 Likes

2018/2019 - $175 for 1000 rds delivered.
2020/2021 - :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: (I don’t even want to remember the numbers)
Q1/Q2 2022 - $300 for 1000 rds delivered
Q3/Q4 2022 - 2023 - $225 for 1000 rds delivered

I’m still not happy, but I doubt the 9mm will ever go back below $200 :worried:

2 Likes

This is what I’ve seen around here

3 Likes

I just purchased 1,000 rounds of Blazer brass at $13 a box 3 weeks ago. I’ve been getting some really good deals online at a place called bucking horse Outpost. They have sales all the time you just have to check or sign up for their newsletter.

2 Likes

Yes, it’s not much cheaper during good times.

However, if you stock up on components in good times then you will make it up during shortages. You also need to pick up and process brass. Extra bonus if you cast your own bullets (I don’t do this).

Even with 9mm going down in price lately, it’s still cheaper for me to reload my own. Also don’t have to deal with the quality issues my friends run into when buying cheap ammo.

1 Like

Staccato C2 or reloading equipment? I need more money.

7 Likes

I reload and fully stocked with components but I’ve been buying 9 mm pretty cheap if you figure my time. I remember what it was like and you couldn’t find a primer anywhere so I’m being pretty stingy with mine. I am reloading some powder coated 9 mm that I picked up cheap locally. Mostly out of curiosity on powder coated lead which I’ve never used before.

1 Like

Luckily, our club gets donations from Friends of the NRA. I’ve got enough club ammo for the rifle team for the next 5 years.

1 Like

Adjusted for inflation, probably 2017-2018 was among the cheapest ever

3 Likes

It’s not, probably what you can do is trade money and time.

Same money, more time, more ammo.

Or same money, more time, more accurate ammo (rifle)

When you get into it, you find out the “you can reload for only $X with this basic equipment” is one thing, and the “you should buy ____” once you get into it and post in the reloading areas is $Y

Reloading really seems to fit if you want to spend more time, or you want to shoot volume of something like 10mm or .357 Sig, or you want to taylor rifle for accuracy

2 Likes