What Book Are You Reading Now?

I’m going to let @Tom_Grieve and @MikeBKY give the attorney response.

We suggest the following for interacting with the police after a self-defense incident:

• Comply: Follow all police instructions.
  • Explain: “I was attacked, feared for my life & had to defend myself.”
  • Identify: Point out evidence, witnesses, and attacker.
  • Medical: Request medical attention, if necessary
  • Silence: “I will cooperate 100%, but first I need my attorney.”
    (Do not talk further without your lawyer present.)

We don’t state anything about self-incrimination or invoking a specific amendment.

4 Likes

It is the opposite of what is often taught about dealing with the police, and not only in firearm related situations. This author cited SCOTUS opinions saying that simply remaining silent without making any declaration of 5th Amendment rights can also be used by a prosecutor in court to infer guilt.

Again, the book is “You Have the Right to Remain Innocent” by James Duane.

4 Likes

I hate to say it, but no matter what you do, it will be used against you in court it he prosecuting attorney finds it useful in their case.

6 Likes

True enough, but in these examples the SCOTUS has sanctioned that simply making a declaration of constitutional rights, which were intended to protect the innocent, can itself be twisted to infer a declaration of guilt which can be entered at trial as evidence against you. That’s where the outrageous factor kicks in.

3 Likes

Raising your right to an attorney > right to silence.

4 Likes

Exactly the point the author was making.

3 Likes

I absolutely agree. The right to counsel outweighs the right to remain silent, although, invoking your right against self incrimination cannot be used against you in the prosecution of criminal charges against you. It can, however, be used against you in civil matters, in administrative hearings like probation or parole, and in the sentencing phase of a trial. I am assuming the latter is what the book is discussing and comes from a Kentucky case, White v. Woodall, 572 U.S. 415 (2014) where the sentencing jury was not given a “no adverse inference instruction” meaning they could draw an adverse inference from the defendant’s silence.

2 Likes

That’s very unconstitutional and against everything, I’ve learned, but I’m not the lawyer(Until 3 1/2 years, if goes accordingly) So leave it to the lawyers.

However, my understanding is that if you did invoke your 5th A. THAT IT CAN NOT be used in the court and if so, its grounds for a mistrial.

But like @Tom_Grieve said, Representation is greater than remaining silent. You need counsel!!!

Therefore, just ask for a lawyer and don’t say, “I invoke the 5th”

A bible scripture that comes to mind about counsel that I read today says, “Where no counsel is, the people fall: but in the multitude of counsellers there is safety.” (Prov. 11.14).

1 Like

1 Like

Scottish Fencing by Ben Miller, Paul MacDonald, & Jared Kirby and A Family Memoir of the MacDonalds of Keppoch (1885) by Angus MacDonald.

Scottish Fencing Cover

1 Like

They ROCK.

I just finished “You Have the Right to Remain Innocent” by James Duane. GREAT read on the justice system.
Next I’m gonna be reading “To Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth” by Jeff Cooper.

1 Like

@MikeBKY -the author of the book shows case precedent where the prosecutors argued that remaining silent implied guilt. The defense attorney didn’t object and the judge didn’t intervene. And it lost in appeal, I believe.

I believe that was at trial and I cannot imagine a defense attorney not objecting to a clearly wrong argument by the prosecution. If it happened, then the argument is not preserved for appeal. Although, I could see an appellate court reversing as a manifest injustice or based upon ineffective assistance of counsel.

I just finished “More Guns Less Crime” by John Lott. This was the third edition and I bought it from the Crime Prevention Research Center. You can check them out at the following link - https://crimeresearch.org/ -

This is a great organization that is helping all of us with keeping our firearms. Their website is full of information that will help you argue about firearms. Great source. They do not get any funds from the government as far as I know and can use some help to continue their work.

My other stimulus checks have gone out to various organizations, and some of this latest stimulus check will go to the Crime Prevention Research Center again. I have about five other organizations on the list, so I need to whittle that down a little.

I think I need another stimulus check to make it through my list.

1 Like

Just getting started.

1 Like

The Snubby Revolver by Ed Lovette

1 Like

Shooter Down by John Giduck about the Virginia Tech massacre. An interesting but frightening look into the twisted mind of a mass killer. He also wrote “Terror at Beslan” about the school takeover in Russia, It will keep you awake at night as our bumbling “woke” leaders play nice with jihadist.

1 Like

Just finished (for the third time) “Defensive Pistol Fundamentals” by Grant Cunningham. Just pulled it out
to reread again. :us:

1 Like

On my shelf, but haven’t read it.