What Book Are You Reading Now?

Heres my recent training roster of books:

Because its important to be able to put people at ease if you want to have real conversations about important stuff:
How Conversation Works: 6 Lessons for Better Communication

And because its useful to know our history

Legacy of Ashes: The History of the CIA

Very informative. Don’t expect it to improve your confidence in our government.

Up next:
Practical Shooting, Beyond Fundamentals

The Mission, The Men and Me, an interesting book from a former operator that lead by these pillars. Don’t get treed by chihuahua, when in doubt, develope the situation, imagine the unimaginable, humor your imagination and always listen to the guy on the ground.

1 Like

Just added it to my audible library, thank you!

Just finished, and will read again:
Civilian Combat The Concealed Carry Book

Includes the USCCA in its resources. and draws on Rob Pincus who helped develop some of the USCCA training programs

Read by the author on audible… funny and insightful, love this guy and buy his coffee (black rifle coffee company)
Thank You for My Service

Interesting biography of a key player in our national security since WWI … the invisible powerhouse of code breaking
The Woman Who Smashed Codes: A True Story of Love, Spies, and the Unlikely Heroine who Outwitted America’s Enemies

This book puts Afghanistan in perspective.

1 Like

I’m actually finishing up Thank You For My Service now…and moving on to book 3 of Charlie’s Requiem (post apoc series co-authored by A. American, a spin off of his Going Home series. Lots of good thought exercises in those books.

1 Like

I am trying for the second time to gut my way through Von Clausewitz “ON WAR” Edited and translated by M. Howard and P. Paret. It’s a tough read but it is standard required material at the U.S. Naval War College so I figure there must be something to it. I’ve also read Lt. Col Grossman’s On Killing and On Combat which are enlightening in their own way.

The Art of War by Sun Tzu is also a tough read but somewhat enlightening. A friend of mine was given a fairly large historical library of martial text’s, novel’s and biographies(Mostly WW2 related) that he let me pick through before he offered them to a local museum. I found some real gems in them that truly broadened my scope of history from those that were there.

I am a history buff, specifically U.S. military history and collect things in that vein so I also have a lot of “text’s” regarding particular weapons and such. I have eclectic tastes. The last major novel I finished was Albert Speer: The Third Reich, which was actually much better than I expected.

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

That’s definitely a good series, both of them.

1 Like

Re-reading John Lott… seriously need to memorize some of these stats. SO makes the case for why what we do matters.
More Guns, Less Crime: Understanding Crime and Gun Control Laws

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0226493636/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_PR1JDbHBG8EZM

1 Like

The Terminal List: A Thriller (1) Amazon.com

True Believer: A Thriller (2) (Terminal List) Amazon.com

Just finished these two. First books I’ve read for recreation since high school.

2 Likes

@Sheepdog556 were they a good re-entry into recreational reading?

Ok, finished Thank You For My Service (it was excellent), Finished the last two books of Charlie’s Requiem (they were excellent, I hope the author considers a 5th book)……

next book up is Lock Stock and Barrel The Origins of American Gun Culture…recommended on Tom Gresham’s radio show……

then it’ll be on to Conflicted Home and Home Coming books 9 & 10 of the Going Home series by A. American.

If you want a really good fictional book read I highly recommend Hope by A. American…warning, it’s depressing and gives you anything but hope…but it’s a excellent book……(I compare it to that movie The Road).

1 Like

Seriously @JamesR, your bookshelf and mine are looking a whole lot like twins…

2 Likes

Absolutely fantastic, a combination of Denzel Washington’s character from man on fire and Jason Bourne.
They are the most factual fiction books I can remember. The Author was a navy seal and he left the redacted parts blacked out in the book. The books have been making their rounds at work.

1 Like

Cool… putting them on my list @Sheepdog556!

1 Like

For now, I’m slammed!

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwiw7Z2A9_bkAhWD-GQKHV68CgkYABABGgJwag&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESEeD27m1jIL4tCMM4TxqsTpML&sig=AOD64_0d4G4Bt84SmRDPJsvlXGqHh1H4zg&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwjN2JSA9_bkAhViMX0KHWxBAqAQ9aACCD4&adurl=

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwimoZOa9_bkAhWUoOwKHWXFBwAYABAMGgJwag&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESEeD2zLVfvAXf6dN81fQxhGAS&sig=AOD64_1KFV4BtxDHEpPssjJCG7rq05kzyg&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwjF1Iqa9_bkAhXvJDQIHVXUBN8Q9aACCE8&adurl=

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwj4r4O59_bkAhUTHH0KHcTfDrMYABAKGgJwdg&sig=AOD64_3bg8i5YS6ZJMEQ2yEO1fJEuWTgrA&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwjvqvq49_bkAhV6JTQIHUqrBYgQwg8ITw&adurl=

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwiBm7_G9_bkAhV0H60GHaWVD0AYABANGgJwdg&sig=AOD64_0F1x2v2eKP_O-WCMyGZ9rV-XgWNQ&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwiNubfG9_bkAhXLJzQIHRdwAM4Q9aACCGs&adurl=

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwj9vrff9_bkAhUUHH0KHTW9BKwYABAVGgJwdg&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESEeD2nQr97faaUh-J1Uy3c-Qx&sig=AOD64_1X9DvOGf-UYpOT29b_bg13e7nzRA&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwiT2K3f9_bkAhXSHjQIHWhSBewQ9aACCIcB&adurl=

1 Like

Sooo many reasons I don’t envy your reading list… some of them are right there @Randall318 :laughing:

2 Likes

Zee,

I’m just overwhelmed, to be honest :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Just finished “You Have the Right to Remain Innocent” by James Duane. It’s a very potent lesson in why you NEVER talk to police without your attorney.

One surprising point from the text: DO NOT invoke your 5th Amendment rights against self incrimination. A few years ago the SCOTUS ruled that doing so can be offered as evidence of your guilt. Instead, invoke your 6th Amendment right to representation.

2 Likes

So that’s pretty much the opposite of what we’ve been taught - @Dawn do you think we can get the legal eagles to weigh in? @MikeBKY? @Tom_Grieve?

2 Likes