What are your favorite MSR calibers

What is your favorite modern sporting rifle chambering? I like 300 Whisper because it’s cost effective when reloading. 223 wins for off the shelf options.

5.56x45 or .223 Wylde.

1. Ubiquitous ammo. Supply off the charts, and expectations to stay that way
  2. Ammo choices. The different rounds and bullets and manufacturers to choose from, again, epic supply and choices
  3. Happy medium size where the firearms can be quite small and light, and recoil not an issue, yet powerful enough, and accurate enough, particularly with the proper round/bullet choice, to do what I desire.
  4. The firearms that are chambered in this are themselves fairly ubiquitous with mags and spare parts galore.
5 Likes

Does anybody use the straight-wall cartridges for hunting in the restricted states?

1 Like

my 3 favorite are the 308/civilian or Military and the pistol 45 semi auto with thumb safety

3 Likes

I’ve never been exposed to a 45acp MSR. What’s the most popular 45 magazine setup? Glock pattern seems to be the winner in 9mm.

Well mine is a Taurus Millennium PT 745 Pro

Mag is 6 in the mag,and one in the pipe,and my Taurus G2c 9mm,carried in ankle holster and 45 carried in shoulder holster

I’m sorry I should have been more specific.

MSR - modern sporting rifle

Tired of hearing about a salt rifle and other left leaning terminology.

I’d like to try the Taurus Millennium PT 745 Pro. I got to check out the little Springfield single stack 45. It looked fun, but wasn’t able to go shoot it that day.

1 Like

To get ahead of the curve a bit on this one, the word ‘modern’ in this phrase is a relative term. The most popular MSR type rifle today, the so called AR15 (they aren’t actually AR15’s, but that’s another lesson) has a design that dates back to the 1950’s. So, it’s modern basically as in post WWII. Modern compared to the 1911 or the BAR

2 Likes

At the moment I still find .308 win/7.62x51 my favorite. My RPR can make holes touch at 300 yards with the 168 grain, and my M1a Scout is a steel targets nightmare. I do have 5 guns in 5.56 and definitely a fan of that round as well. Like .45 vs. 9, as the day goes on the smaller round gets more attractive . Might be going 6.5 Grendel next, only need an upper receiver, mags and ammo, and seems like a good halfway point between the NATO rounds…but think I “need” another .308 or 2 as well.

1 Like

That’s what’s I want to know. Starting in 2023, Illinois can use straight wall, single shot rifles for deer. An AR, in 350 legend with a bobsled would fit the bill.

1 Like

Conceptually I really like the Grendel. My uncle built one with a Shilen barrel and it shot tiny groups with everything.

Recommended the same barrel to a friend and not so much.

It shot the hornady black great but bad with the hunting load. I ended up partially pulling the bullets and reseating them for him about 0.020” out to match the target loads and it shot great. What a pain.

1 Like

Well, I had a 350 legend BCA barrel and my neighbor was unsatisfied with 223 for deer hunting. I said I can fix you up and sold him the barrel and the magazine. The 145 grain Winchester was disappointing but good enough to save hunting ammunition when sighting in. The 170 and 180 grain shot way better! I don’t recall which one was best, but each rifle is different…
He got a primary arms scope with moa reticle and loves it.

1 Like

.224 Valkyrie, cheaper to shoot and goes out past 1,000 yards😎

1 Like

I keep seeing those 90 grain Sierra matchkings RMR bullets is selling but read mixed reviews about the Valkyrie. Sierra says they need a 1 in 6.5” twist but there’s a ton of Valkyrie out there with 1:7 twist?

Mine has a 6:5 twist, 22”, which has no problems running the king match, my mothers’ Savage, 16”, 7 twist, runs the lighter loads great. Hit her 1,050 yard shot in Nov 2018. I’m sure if I was still reloading that I could make her a better round since she has an adjustable gas block.

2 Likes

7.62x39, .30-30 and .45acp. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

That is used on flies.

3 Likes

Who made your 1:6.5” twist barrel if you don’t mind me asking?
Have you tried the 90 grain Federal Fusion loads in it?

Would it actually be allowed? Could you remove it and then use a normal magazine and then the rifle is no longer a single shot. It would be nice on one hand if they elaborated on exactly how far you have to go to be considered a single shot.