Welcome to the Community! Please Introduce Yourself

Hello uscca community, my name is Matt Hendrix, I am a certified firearms instructor, and a competive shooter, glad to be part of this community

6 Likes

Welcome @Gunpassion, @Kent, @Jan, @Tom and @Matt! There’s a lot for you to check out! We’re glad to have you here - please feel free to ask questions and post as you find topics that tickle your fancy!

6 Likes

@Tom. I could have use your advice years ago before I retired. I got so frustrated with the field of GIS I switched gears into civil engineering.

5 Likes

I am a retired soil conservation technician with USDA. I have been carrying for 3 years. Back in the 1970’s and 1980’s I was a volunteer Hunter Education Instructor for the Iowa DNR. I have hunted deer every year since 1971, with archery, shotgun and muzzleloader. I am also a competitive giant vegetable grower. I have grown pumpkins over 1000# and in 2014 I grew the Iowa state record 129 inch long gourd.

7 Likes

Welcome @Mark1! Sounds like you have a much better green thumb than I do! Can’t wait to hear about your hunting experience!

3 Likes

Hello All… I am a former Army Ranger. I manage the USCCA video team. Love reading all these great comments. I have just completed my USCCA Instructor Certification. While not new to guns, I am new to the carry lifestyle. Love our mission and our community. When not working, I work on being a good dad.

7 Likes

I believe being a good dad is your primary mission.

4 Likes

Thank you for asking me to join the community. I’m glad to share the info that I know about firearms and firearm safety. I’m a NRA Certified Range Safety Officer and an Affiliate Firearms Instructor with USCCA. I also reload most of my ammo. I reload .38 spl, .38 +p, .357 mag, .45 long colt, .45 acp, and starting to do 9 mm. I also compete in Bulls eye and silhouette competitions as well. and I’ve also run some shooting matches as well. and I’m always glad to meet new people online or in person. I’m retired now so I have a lot of time to go to the range to not only shoot but also to volunteer as a Range Safety Officer at my gun club when they need extra help. I also have some physical disabilities to where I have to hold and shoot guns a little differently from normal. But because of this issue I can and have helped others that have had some holding and shooting issues as well. and I’m always glad to help.

7 Likes

Hello Everyone. 16 year Navy vet. I took the SSB buyout when my dad was diagnosed with cancer. I spent the next couple years helping him before he passed. I started learning about guns from him when I was 8 or 9. My first time shooting a 12 gauge with double ought buck shot will never be forgotten :slight_smile: My first deer was taken with his model 94 30-30, about 200 yards on a blueberry field with a scope. I grew up in NE Maine woods , as a scout, we camped in all kinds of weather. My biggest lesson from those days is common sense. Wife and I now have 10 acres in the Smokies that we call home. After my dad passed, I got the family 1911 and his old 70’s roto tiller. Both have been well taken of and are as good as new. My first purchased gun and every day carry is a Beretta PX4 Storm SD 45. My preferred holster is Black Hawk OWB side carry. I am by no means an expert in any field but I do have many years of responsible firearm usage. If I can be of any help too anyone at all, then me being here is time well spent. Old%20Guard

7 Likes

Dads%20tiller

5 Likes

New%20Guard

6 Likes

Welcome @LarryMcHaha, @Reloader54, and @MarkBrent Glad to have you here!

3 Likes

I’m Mitch,
I’ve been carrying concealed for just over 2 years. I live in NC and here we are an open carry state, but, I find that, open carrying wasn’t always the best idea. The looks you get from people and at times makes you a target for someone to want to challenge you.
But, back in 2004 I started having major back problems, and over the last 15 years they’ve gotten worse, leaving me physically defenseless. Most recently I’ve undergone 2 major hip surgeries on my right hip, as complications arose from the first, causing me to have to have the second. So that leaves me with no way to even run away if I could, I will eventually heal from this but it’s going to be the better part of a year.
I’m also a single father of a 7 year old, and I don’t want either of us defenseless.
In this day and time with random acts of violence happening all over, I do not want to become another statistic, and at the same time, if I’m able to save another because I’m armed, then so be it.
Recently I had a long talk with an office where I live about concealed carrying and coming to the defense of another using deadly force. I would highly recommend anyone to have the same conversation with an officer in your city/town, the information I received was invaluable, and he actually recommends to people to get a CCW permit.
Look forward to being a part of this community.
Mitch

6 Likes

Love a good ol reliable 1911!!!20180424_035547-1

7 Likes

How long were you in the 75th @MarkBrent?

3 Likes

Welcome to the community @Tom. Glad to have you aboard. Sounds like you are a wealth of information for the gun community.

5 Likes

Hello,
My name is Brian I have been a permit holder for only a couple years now, I work as a Security Guard and am not allowed to carry while working so I don’t carry often. I have two pistols a Glock 17 and a S&W Performance Center Shield, I like the Shield more because it is much easier for conceal carry, I don’t get to the range as often as I’d like but I plan making “appointments” to take the time to go more often. Thank you so much USCCA for inviting me to this community. I look forward to making many new friends and getting great advice and having some amazing conversations.

7 Likes

Welcome to the Community, @Vikesfanbrian! I’m guessing you and Tim Schmidt have the same favorite football team? :rofl:

5 Likes

Welcome, @Mitch! There are a few single parents here who can definitely understand your parenting situation (myself included). So glad to have you here!

3 Likes

Hello!
My name is Paul DeJohn. I’m an Emergency RN from Greenville, OH and a married dad of 5. I grew up in Southeastern Michigan and was introduced to the great outdoors - hunting and fishing, at an early age. My father instilled in me the responsibility that comes with gun use and ownership. I am trying to do the same with mine.

I took a CCW course two years ago when child abductions in the Dayton area began to become newsworthy. My son was two at the time. I felt I should be better able to protect him. So, I took a course with a USCCA instructor in town and began to train. Troy has been a real asset to me and to this country. I practice various drills from USCCA publications at least weekly and plan to take some more advanced training in June with one of my older sons.

I initially carried a 9mm Performance Center Shield from Smith and Wesson, a very nice compact gun. I went through Glocks and a few revolvers, but fell in love with .45 ACP Sig Nightmare Carry. It conceals well and I shoot straight with it, almost second naturedly. I played around with all the gimmicky holsters, but have found the Professional series IWB from N82 Tactical to be the most comfortable, secure, and easy to use. Once in a while I’ll carry OWB with a good ole DeSantis scabbard.

I think it’s important that we teach our children about the outdoors, the traditions of past generations, and our Constitutional rights as American citizens, as they were written. With increasing pressure by those who simply look for something to blame in these rapidly changing times, it is our responsibility to ease fears and educate the ignorant with peaceful guidance through a stormy sea of disinformation.

Thanks for inviting me to the forum. I look forward to learning with you.

7 Likes