Weekend Drill: Attacking Pumpkins

Shotgun training isn’t something we always do, but if you use a shotgun, you should train with it especially if you’re going to rely on it for your home defense. Best Shotgun for Home Defense

Shooting a shotgun is very different than shooting a handgun. Training is important, but no one said training couldn’t be fun! :jack_o_lantern:

How do you train with your shotgun?

3 Likes

I was thinking scarecrows myself.

I would submit that you “train like you fight”. If you have a “side saddle” you should be reloading from that and not your hip pocket.

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

Yup. And yes, pumpkins and melons are great targets this time of year.
Warning:Gratuitous fun factor=Cut the top open, and fill with water. Makes them really go splat.

3 Likes

No mag fed AR shotguns?

2 Likes

I train on my firing range where I train with my pistol, BUT I add a few steps to it. I will start pt behind my wall as if I was coming from cover and I have 2 additional targets set up in different spots while I stare off in the opposite direction. After the person helping me comes back around and says it’s set up, I then proceed in different ways to take out the “BAD GUYS” as quick as possible.

2 Likes

A little light-hearted training video to help us look forward to fall when all of the restrictions will only be a memory.

After watching the training video above, what other fun items do you use at targets on outdoor ranges?

A friend of mine once brought me a giant 5 lb gummy bear…

1 Like

I enjoy training with my shotgun but realistically when I go through the 15 rounds preloaded. It’s getting dropped on its sling as I transition to another weapon. It takes to long to reload.

Besides, if I have gone through that many rounds of shotgun. It’s probably the deep end. Might pass back for wife to reload.

Short of EOTWAWKI or ZA, I can’t really think of a problem 15 12 ga. rounds didn’t solve, or I wouldn’t be in it.

3 Likes

I agree with Craig. Would suggest a lefty in some of the training videos, as some of us are challenged. Notice the fellow on the left, where he keeps his “trigger finger forward”, and practices the same.

1 Like

A playing card, stick it on side. Or lay flat. On our outdoor range, we use clay pigeons sometimes. Empty co2 cartridges. Reactive steel targets that give an instantaneous reward, and of course our moving target system.

1 Like

We have a very bad zombie pumpkin problem here in LA

3 Likes