Watch out for your kids!

I just wanted to see how hard the push back would be! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I could see holding something in one hand and shooting with the other hand. It would have to be done safely and you wouldnā€™t be shooting at the thing in your hand.

Stuffed animal could be on the ground. How many of us shoot at targets on the ground like a small animal? Iā€™m sure the hunters do, but itā€™s been a long time for me.

4 Likes

The other take away here for the kids is this. Our kids (especially young kids) are going to naturally grab onto their parents in a time of crisis. My kids are teenagers, but I frequently told my kids if thereā€™s a bad guy, they need to get behind me putting me between them and the threat. But I told them to not latch onto me as that will hinder my ability to defend them or even draw my firearm.

My son and I had a real life check of what he would do. We were walking and a dog snarled and barked like he wanted to eat us. (Thankfully, said dog was on a chain and couldnā€™t get to us.) My son did exactly what I had told him to do. He put me between him and the dog. He yelled my name, but didnā€™t grab me. My hand went to my gun, but I never drew it.

The other issue that is a rabbit trail to this is the use of space. I told my kids you donā€™t have to be right on top of me to use me as a shield. As long as Iā€™m between you and the bad guy, give me enough room to move at least. If bullets are flying, just run away and Iā€™ll find you later.

These kids were both little in these scenarios. Parents going full beast mode is the only option here. Iā€™m not even sure if I would shoot in this scenario as @Todd30 so eloquently articulated the reasons. A good blade may have had an application in the raccoon video and been a better option that a firearm. Slamming that coon agains the porch post might have been a good idea to. No criticism to these parents. They did the right thing and saved the day!

6 Likes

Oh, thatā€™s easy. Just use 12ga slugs. Nary a problem.

4 Likes

Did you ever have to shoot olā€™ Blue?

1 Like

Not sure which Olā€™ Blue you referring to. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Arenā€™t you supposed to keep the animal for animal control to verify whether or not the animal was rabid? I would have knocked it out on the porch post or a tuba fore and put it in a box until AC got there.

2 Likes

A man shows up at a hunterā€™s place and says he wants to go bear hunting. The hunter says OK and grabs his big coon hound, olā€™ Blue. They spend the day running down a large bear and get it treed. Then the hunter takes out a shotgun and hands it to the man, saying ā€œDonā€™t do anything with this unless I tell you to. Iā€™m going to climb up the tree and force the bear up to thin branches until it falls out of the tree. When that happens, olā€™ Blue will pounce on him and rip his junk off, pacifying the bear.ā€
A few minutes later, the hunter slips, and as heā€™s falling to the ground, he screams ā€œSHOOT OLā€™ BLUE! SHOOT OLā€™ BLUE!ā€

2 Likes

LOL, thanks for the laugh. :rofl:

1 Like