Watch How Long It Takes This Armed Citizen To Chamber A Round In His Handgun During A Robbery

8 Likes

the very reason I always carry with one in the chamber. I fully know and admit that I am unable to chamber a round fast enough to be of use. so I choose the best option to be prepared!

14 Likes

He was poorly trained with that. It shouldn’t take more than 0.75 of second. :upside_down_face:
If you train this correctly, you need to rack the slide way before you extend your arms and aim to shoot.

12 Likes

and without looking at it.

9 Likes

Exactly… but this is more advanced stuff :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This was cluster-phuck from the beginning to end.
Then it was in Chi-town :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face:
This kid looked like he had zero training
What a mess.

9 Likes
9 Likes

Jerzees: Great call!

2 Likes

The bad guy knows what hes going to do. We have to guess what he’s going to and react accordingly :us:

4 Likes

Know your gun. Know it better than you know any other inanimate object. Know it so well you can operate every bit of it by feel, in the dark, without consciously thinking. This requires tons of practice with it, not just shooting, but handling, drawing, racking, reloading, etc.

Carry loaded. If you don’t trust your gun to be safe with a round in the chamber, decide if it’s really you, or the gun that’s not up to it. If it’s you, you need more practice and familiarity. If it’s the gun, find a better gun you know will be reliable and safe.

Your draw and ability to get on target is probably more important than your ability to stand and shoot well. You can’t shoot until you’re drawn and on target, so get so ridiculously good at it that it feels as easy as, say, putting a fork of food in your mouth. You can practice that, for free, in your own home all day. There’s no excuse for not being good at these basics.

There’s a whole lot more, like situational awareness, shooting skills, shoot/don’t shoot decisions (like, don’t shoot a guy in the back as he’s leaving the store), and on and on.

That video was a good training video on what not to do, and why to train.

10 Likes

In this case I don’t think the shooter had enough time to observe and process that the attacker may have been turning to leave as he was pulling the trigger.

But the shoot don’t shoot decision here is questionable and might not play well in front of a jury. I don’t know what went on before this clip started but when the employee decided to draw the apparently unarmed criminal was assaulting a display case and did not clearly appear to be an imminent threat to others.

Maybe if the employee wasn’t so worried about having to take the time to rack the slide before being able to use the firearm to defend himself or others he could have devoted more time and brainpower to deciding if he really needed to pull the trigger.

There are some very rare occasions when I carry without a round in the chamber, mostly when I need to carry off body for various reasons. In those cases I am very conscious of the extra time needed to get my pistol into action. It makes me uncomfortable like driving down the highway without my seatbelt on would. The odds of me recognizing an upcoming potential accident and getting the belt on in time while maneuvering to avoid the accident are pretty poor.

7 Likes

Exactly why my preference is to carry a revolver. Cylinders fully loaded. Semi autos mostly have a greater capacity. Some people aren’t comfortable carrying a semi auto with one in the chamber. But it’s much harder/slower to react to a situation. Than to act

4 Likes

If someone is afraid of carrying semi auto with one in the chamber… imagine him / her carrying revolver with six in the chamber… :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I do understand the difference. Most revolvers require upwards of 10 lbs of DA trigger pressure, sustained over about a half inch of travel, to fire. Many are 12 lbs. Many semiautos are 4 lbs or so, with a quick trigger break after a very light, short take up.

Accidentally getting your finger inside the trigger guard of a revolver, say, while drawing, isn’t very likely to result in an AD, whereas doing so with SA, condition one semiauto, it’s pretty easy to do.

3 Likes

That’s the point.
It is not about the construction of the gun… it’s about knowledge and mental preparedness to carry.
For me SAO semiauto is safer than DA revolver and I do not have any problem carrying it loaded.
I 'm ok if someone carries without chambered round. It his / her decision. But many of those people have no idea what the consequences are, they only want to feel safe carrying. Whatever comes next - doesn’t matter. Even if chances of survival gunfight are closer to 0%, instead of being 50/50… :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

A neighbor of mine does just that. 6 shot Smith & Wesson, and he keeps the hammer on an Empty chamber !!

1 Like

Well at least he hit the BG twice… :sigh: I don’t know what the hell gun he shot him with but it’s a big argument in favor of enough gun and keep shooting.

Total CF, those guys are lucky the BG was your average coward or he would have killed them both with that hammer.

4 Likes

I’d put a big asterisk on that because it’s 100% about training, which is something everyone should take very seriously if they’re going to carry. For me, thumb safety isn’t disengaged and my finger isn’t on the trigger until I’m extending toward the target. When I’ve practiced close quarters, shooting from just above the holster, it’s a huge mental exercise to manipulate the safety and trigger at that point in the draw.

Add to that, my accuracy goes way down with a 10lb DA trigger press. Inside of 5yds, it might not be a significant factor. But I take carrying a firearm in public very seriously. Accuracy drops in a high stress situation where you’d need to use a firearm and I do everything I can to make sure I’m not going to shoot an innocent bystander.

5 Likes

I completely agree. I carry both a DA only revolver with a 12 lb trigger, and an SA only, hammer fired semiauto, condition 1, with a crisp, 4 lb trigger. I train heavily with both and feel totally comfortable with both. It’s training and comfort level for sure. Some people are just more comfortable with the 12lb DA revolver trigger and that’s fine. I get it.

4 Likes

Agree on all counts. I’ve never had my finger slip into the trigger guard while drawing. That’s a rookie mistake born out of lack of training and getting rattled while doing things that you have not practiced enough in a hurry.

AND, if “safe” triggers was the preferred way to go maybe we should all go back to cowboy single action guns :sunglasses:

6 Likes