Uscca plead guilty and you’re not covered!

Is there a work around to be covered in states that ban this type of insurance? It should not be banned anywhere.

4 Likes

Only if you live out of state and travel into that state.

Move?

3 Likes

Welcome, Paul335!!

2 Likes

Welcome, Chris177.

2 Likes

You don’t need a work around. If you live in a state where USCCA membership are offered and you sign up you are covered by the insurance benefits in all 50 states. It’s also not just handguns. It applies to all lawful acts of self defense with legal weapons.

5 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @Chris177 and God bless you.

2 Likes

Well I’d like to think I’m OK. I don’t involve myself in criminal activities. And USCCA better have my back… I’m trusting them.
Hope I never have to, but if I need to defend myself, I’m counting on the USCCA.

5 Likes

What happens on the flip side of that ? All things being equal as we notice stand your ground rarely works for some but for others its a success theres some dubious word craft here with that minority town minority da business it’s been majority all this time and people in the right were falsely accused. But if we keep pushing narratives that suggest some sort of false equality we are if judged by race rarely treated equal let’s be honest

1 Like

Scenario:
While sitting at home watching TV, a group of ill-doers kick in your door. You shoot one of them dead when they enter the room you’re in.

The others hear the gun shot and run from the house. You, wanting to make sure you’re safe and with adrenaline pumping, follow them outside and discharge your firearm outside as they’re leaving.

It’s a self defense shooting, but the discharge isn’t legal as they were retreating and when you followed you became the aggressor.

The question is… is the discharge of a weapon sufficient to get you liable for the entire cost of the case?

This is why training and restraint are so important - even in the heat of the moment. And if you’re so concerned over this, as much as I hate to say so, you might want to look at other options. Personally, I don’t care how my legal costs are funded through an organization as long as they’re covered. And I want to know that my legal battles are covered - both criminal AND civil in the event that I’m every in the unfortunate position where I have to use a weapon to defend myself or others.

2 Likes

You were ok with the first discharge of your firearm but chasing them and firing at them while they are running away will get you into trouble.

2 Likes

There are a lot of hypothetical scenario questions here, while we would love to give you a 100% iron-clad yes/no answer, there is no way to do that. There are literally thousands of laws on the books about self-defense, firearms, “stuff” defense (home/property), and defense of others — and that’s just in one state.

Every self-defense situation is different. If you could 100% exactly copy every detail of one incident in one state and move it to a different state, it could play out completely differently in the other state. In some instances, it would play out completely differently in another city of the same state.

So as much as we would like to give you a 100% yes/no answer to each of these scenarios, there is just no way to do that.

The best answer is to review these two documents, know your laws, train and educate yourself continually:

USCCA Membership Agreement

Self-Defense Liability Policy

4 Likes

Correct. And it’s a generalized scenario which as was pointed out - could play out completely different in different states, communities, and varies with the people involved - including the lawyers.

2 Likes

I am also going to note that the decision as to whether or not the insurance company is going to seek reimbursement is not a decision the is made by the policyholder (USCCA/Delta Defense) but is made by the insurer. The insurer has their own attorneys on staff or outside counsel that will look in to whether or not coverage should be provided and, most likely, whether it is in the companies best interest to seek reimbursement. While insurance law, like self defense laws, vary greatly form state to state, in most states, the law is that the insurance contract will be interpreted strictly against the insurer and ANY ambiguities will be interpreted in favor of the insured. When I was providing coverage opinions for insurers based upon Kentucky law, the general principal was that if the policy can be interpreter in any reasonable way to provide coverage, then there was coverage.
There was also the issue of providing a defense (providing the insured an attorney at the insurer’s expense) versus providing indemnity (paying a judgment). Again, in Kentucky, the duty to defend is required if there are any viable claims that would be covered even if it was determined that there was no duty to indemnify. So, if someone is charged in Kentucky with murder, and it was not clear in an indictment that it was for an intentional killing as opposed to a wanton killing, since wanton is in essence a negligence claim, the duty to defend, at the insurers expense, would prevail.

6 Likes

Thanks @MikeBKY

I love it when you talk all attorney, like!

2 Likes

I understand if you plead guilty there is little reason for an attorney to waste funds representing a guilty person. But if you plead not guilty and are found guilty why is the outcome of the trial the determining factor of whether USCCA Insurance will be available to pay defense costs? We all know trials are not to determine justice, trials are all about winning and loosing! If legal representation is incompetent compared with enthusiastic DA efforts and what should have been found a legal defensive act result in a “guilty verdict” ( Winning and Loosing rather than Justice) USCCA Insurance will be withdrawn?

2 Likes

“Oregon does not honor any concealed carry licenses from other states.”
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/or-gun-laws/#recStates

1 Like

Eveyone who watches the news knows that the country is awash with Bloomburg/Soros elected DAs who will charge anyone using their firearm for any reason, including self defense. The so called press will demonize you and demand that you be charged. The DAs will do their best to overload the jury with rabid anti-gunners. Good luck in counting on USCCA’s protection disclaimers not being used against you. That’s why I’m switching to CCW Safe next month. They will defend you through both a criminal trial and your appeal if convicted. They will not demand re-payment if you lose your appeal. They will also defend you in any Civil trial that most certainly will come. I have been with USCCA for many years and their training and magazine are the best out there, but their protection, not so much. It saddens me to have to move on.

2 Likes

Benjamin Franklin; “Common sense is the most uncommon of all the senses”

5 Likes

Sorry to see you leave. You made me look at a detailed comparison and I’m sticking with USCCA.

3 Likes