Uscca plead guilty and you’re not covered!

It is a complex world, but certainly not simple, nor fair. While in a perfect world all of this makes perfect sense, but justice is not blind, only half blind.

So, at the risk of sounding not PC, if you shoot a minority person in self defense in a minority city, run by minority DA’s and Persecutors, you are in deep doo-doo. Do not kid yourself.

Citing an article out of guns.com “Study: Out of 146 Self-Defense Shooting Claims Across the Nation, 12 Led to Charges.” Note the word “Charges”.

So, if these data are reasonably accurate, you have a 1 in 12 chance of being “Charged”. Not bad for the good guys. No Charges Filed!

But, if you are “Charged”, and run into a highly prejudicial DA, Prosecutor, or Cop, the statistics are probably not so good. Mandatory Sentences include 5 years for having a firearm during the offense . 7 years for brandishing a gun during the offense. 10 years for discharging a firearm.

So, while it is noble to say “stick it out and fight it”, not-so-blind justice may deal you a bad hand, making a plea bargain look pretty good. Be damned careful when you think about drawing your pistol.

For the record, I am a Platinum Member of USCCA.

Long live the Republic.

Peter45

6 Likes

Well if it didn’t work for them then why are they free and still carrying? Seems to me they are getting paid to support another group and disinform the public.

1 Like

Thank you @Johnnyq60! Glad to be here!
Jim

2 Likes

7 years, 5 years, 10 years. Only if you defend yourself in certain political cities. If you’re a scumbag who does that, you probably won’t have to pay your own bail. The VP will. If they’re charged at all.

1 Like

@USCCA posted a link as a reply to the opening question.

IMO Some of you need to click on the link and read the:

SELF-DEFENSE LIABILITY COVERAGE FORM

In particular: SECTION III – SELF-DEFENSE LIABILITY CONDITIONS on page 9 & 10.

3 Likes

Roger that!

I have read the policy and previous posts, but still have not seen an answer to the following question:

If I use a firearm to defend myself or a third-party from what I believe in good faith is a threat of death or seriously bodily injury, but a jury determines that the facts do not support a self-defense claim, will USCCA then assert that my conviction constitutes after-the-fact proof that I committed a criminal offense and therefore either refuse to pay the fees of the lawyer selected by USSCA and/or seek reimbursement of fees and costs already paid?

It seems to me that there ought to be a good-faith or reasonable man standard in interpreting the policy’s exclusions. In a criminal case so much depends on the honesty and good faith of the police and prosecutor, not to mention the intelligence and lack of bias of the jury.

I’ve seen juries do lots of weird things.

Could someone from USCCA please explain how they interpret the exclusion provision?

Thanks!

3 Likes

They exclusively say they won’t cover “criminal acts” If a jury says you’re guilty of a crime, you committed a “criminal act”.

1 Like

If you simply read the policy you would know. I have it all highlighted.

WOW!!! Thank you all. My mind has seriously been refocused. I’m glad I’ve sent invites to my family to join…

3 Likes

And what you describe would be a winning strategy.

1 Like

after incident: repeat after me: “Officer, because this is a defensive gun use and I feared for my life and the life of my loved ones, I will not discuss the incident until I speak with my attorney”

Rinse, repeat to anyone who asks you questions concerning the incident you are ABOUT to be arrested for.

6 Likes

I agree USCCA will not defend you if you are in the wrong when you shoot someone without cause but will defend you if you are right to when defend yourself.

2 Likes

There are only two rules you need to know and STRICTLY abide by……

1. envoke the 5th and zipper mouth
  2. refer to rule # 1

This is it … period!

9 Likes

Since you replied to me I will reply.

I am not qualified to answer your question but I think it clearly asks for a clarification.

The answer is best provided by @USCCA

This question is far from the original “if I plead guilty” which is an admission of a criminal act.

2 Likes

My answer to this is personal and ONLY from the perspective of an Elite Member who enjoys our benefits and someone who has been directly (though limited) exposed to the workings of the insurance benefit works. This is NOT any kind of representation by the Organization in any way shape or form. Only my opinion and perspective.

First contracts are contracts. If you write one with the intent to deceive it WILL come back to bite you legally. That’s what courts are for. It is impossible in a contract to cover all bases because of billions of variables, and anyone can come up with scenarios that are so outlandish and out of the norm that would certainly gum up the works. The “norm” is for the legal system to work the way we expect it to.

Can you be the victim of a poorly run trial or a biased Jury? Sure! Have you heard of appeals?

Second, first hand from our local Network attorney whom I work with all the time, he has told me several times what a pleasure it is to deal with the folks that pay him on behalf of a member (insurance benefit).

He is involved in a tricky case right now and his comment was literally, “My client is getting the absolute best defense money can buy.” And at the end of the day that’s all you can hope for, especially if it’s not coming out of your pocket.

Also, EVERY case is different and it’s handled and judged specifically to the facts, circumstances and merits of the actual incident. So giving a blanket answer to questions pertaining to a vague hypothetical scenario is impossible and hugely counterproductive.

One last thing. Every anti-gunner out there hates the USCCA, they are building up the ranks of lawfully, informed and trained armed Americans!!! If the USCCA was consistently failing any number of their 600,000 (and growing) members, don’t you think it’d be all over the front page if the New York Times and every other liberal news outlet in the country?

18 Likes

I live in Idaho. 5 miles from Washington state border. Is USCCA invalid in Washington state? Unfortunately I work in Washington state. Is it valid in Washington state although I live in Idaho. CHRIS

5 Likes

3 Likes

Thank you. After reading the article, I was unsure. I can’t remember if it is Washington or Oregon that does not recognize Idaho enhanced CCW. CHRIS

2 Likes

1 Like