Uscca plead guilty and you’re not covered!

The other thing to remember is that litigation is never certain and juries are rather fickle. I do not know any attorneys who have not lost cases they should have won and won cases they should have lost. And, what is considered a win is not simple either. My first jury trial was a civil trial where a man was making a claim against the insurer I represented for underinsured motorist coverage in 2 separate car wrecks. My client took the position that he had been fully compensated by the insurers protecting the at fault drivers. The plaintiff was seeking the policy limits on both cases.
In the end, the jury returned a verdict for the Plaintiff and against my client. For us it was a win. We had offered a couple thousand dollars to resolve the case and made an “offer of judgment.” This means if the plaintiff prevails but gets less than the amount of the offer of judgment, the plaintiff must pay the defendant certain costs and expenses.
The jury returned a verdict for the Plaintiff but the amount ended up being under $100 so, while plaintiff won, he ended up owing the insurance company money.

6 Likes

So, let me get this straight, if I use my firearm to defend my life or prevent serious bodily injury and a zealous anti-gun DA convinces a woke jury that I committed a crime, then USCCA will drop me like a hot rock and sue me for repayment of funds they spent before I even get my appeal heard?

5 Likes

After the defense if you’re found guilty it’s simple. They don’t get squat. Bankruptcy is a thing you know.

5 Likes

This is all what I assumed would be the case when I joined the USCCA. Obviously they’re not going to support me if I go around murdering people. Duh.

What I am minorly concerned about is what happens if a jury decides I acted in self defense, but finds me guilty of one of the numerous lesser charges sure to be piled on to any charges involved with a gunfight.

5 Likes

Welcome, LEE59!!

1 Like

We all have to remember our training, gun laws, responsibilities’ that we gained in having a firearm on our person or in our home or car or truck. For a small example, if it is our home and property, we can
not run down a thief or a bad gunman that has been stealing personal property such a firearm or breaking into your truck for money. This problem has happened to people already. You can not shoot and kill or hurt the bad guy with a firearm, without you being charged and sentenced for murder or attempted murder.

The major rule here, we must be in fear of grave bodily injury or in fear of being killed, DEATH. Please let that thief run far away, alive and report the crime to police. If we are in pursuit of the criminal and we shoot to kill, we pay for that crime. We have to be in our safe home and the bad guy breaks in and chooses to shoot at you to kill, that is the difference here, you shoot back to stop that threat from killing you and your family. Call the police to report to them the trouble and them call USCCA for help legally.

I thought this was Courses given to all of us in training. We are not military or the police and we must follow the rules and laws. What a wonderful day in COURT this will make for everyone.

9 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @LEE59 and you are in the right place at the right time.

2 Likes

Lets put this in perspective. If you are involved in a shooting in most states there is a good chance you will end up in court or at least in jail. At this point we have some options. We can look for a bail bond service and pay 10 percent to get out on bail. if we show up in court we lose the 10 percent. If they decide to charge you we then have the free choice of getting an attorney or getting a public defender. Once again all on our dime. If you are found guilty you will go to jail and even if found innocent you pay bail and attorney fees or take your chances with a public defender. So far that applies to most people in the US.

The next option is have an attorney on retainer. Not really a economic advantage unless you are well to do. That attorney might come to the jail and get you out but if you have to pay bail they don’t usually take it out of the retainer. If you are found guilty you have paid your money and taken your chances.

The next option is to find a service like USCCA that takes a fee and provides a service to help you defend yourself in the case of self defense. It doesn’t matter what service you choose they can’t help you once a jury or a plea has indicated you are guilty. The best case is that you are out of jail and someone working to get the charges dropped. If not get you found not guilty.

The strange thing to me is so many seem to believe these companies should defend people even if they plead guilty. I used to visit people in the county jail years ago. 50 percent of the people I talked to said they were innocent.

In summation the choice is ours. Take care of it ourselves, pay out of our own pocket for someone to take care of it for us or join a service they will help with the problem. Then again someone could start a company that has lawyers that will defend the person, guilty or not. Might be more expensive. (Hyperbole is free of charge.)

3 Likes

yes and they can lie to you during questioning legally. that’s why you NEED an attorney!

9 Likes

Anyone who has even had a passing glance at a legal brief or any thing legalese for that matter knows its not for the layman to understand. Yep use a lawer!

2 Likes

I just won my trial for defending myself from being attacked by two felons high on meth. The jury found me NOT GUILTY. Thanks to the USCCA I was able to fight charges of three felonies. I’m a free man because of the USCCA. THANK YOU USCCA!

20 Likes

Welcome aboard @James73

Glad to hear you prevailed in court. This type of topic has come up before. IMO it devolves into a mess when the conversation devolves to “what if I’m guilty”?

5 Likes

Unfortunately, a lot of innocent people end up pleading to something they are not guilty of… Granted, it’s total BS but when someone is looking at 20+ years and there is no guarantee a jury will find them not guilty vs. being offered some BS misdemeanor and a few days in jail or probation a lot of people will take it to avoid not only the possibility of going to prison for 20 years but to save a ton of money trying to defend themselves. Not to mention most people that have to use a public defender usually get someone who would rather make that BS plea than waste time actually vigorously defending them… We have the best judicial system in the world in America but it does not always work the way it should… If you can afford to go the distance one can usually get a positive outcome but many just can’t afford to sustain a legal battle that could literally last years. Stay safe!

3 Likes

The McCloskeys? You know you have pardon in the wings. Avoid costs and time.

Paul

4 Likes

Tim needs to get out in front of this matter and respond to concerns that USCCA may or may not have our backs in light of their policy changes. What happens to us with respect to coverage in the case of a guilty plea? We need to hear from the horse’s mouth.

6 Likes

How quick they forget the fine print , a woke jury might be all we get now a days so wouldn’t it be prudent to not say certain things in forums because they will use it against us if we don’t choose our wording correctly

4 Likes

That’s if they find our profiles within these forums.

1 Like

Welcome to the family brother @James73 and you are blessed to be here.

2 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @Paul335 and you are in the right place at the right time.

1 Like

Welcome to the family brother @Philip59 and God bless you.

1 Like