Uscca instructor

@Jerzy now that sounds fun…how do you find locations for that?

I’m attending private classes for this.
For public access, I know this:

2 Likes

First of all, Do you have a range to train at? A range that will allow you to train students ? There is a difference.
If you have a range that will associate your certification with them and you can get in with them than I would say your golden. I have my certification but the ranges I am a member at will not allow other entities in to train students. They just want to protect the business. I do not blame them at all. I have still taught classes and trained with a SIRT gun but, did not get any range time with them. It just seems too much to be missed to keep going in that direction.

1 Like

He doesn’t want to train students at all…

Okay, then why not just go get training by different instructors!

@Jerzy i would be willing to train…just don’t want to start my own brick and mortar business

1 Like

It would be a big personal liability risk to train others without an LLC and insurance. But setting all that up is not all that difficult or expensive. The question is can you find enough students to make it worth your while and can you find a place to train them?

@Shamrock exactly why I’m asking these questions…would pursuit of instruction even be worthwhile. Based on what I hear…it’s not for me

3 Likes

Looks I’ve been in your shoes last year.
First I dropped idea to be USCCA Instructor, I knew there was no way I could teach firearm classes and do my current job.
Then one on my Instructors told me to become NRA Pistol Instructor (which also gave easy path to become RSO). NRA doesn’t require their Instructors to teach certain number of students.
During the classes students did financial calculation to start own “firearm instructor” business… and I gave up. I didn’t gave up to be Instructor, just found out I won’t make any money teaching firearms and doing my current job the same time. It had to be just one of them.
So here I am - NRA Instructor / NRA RSO… and I help / assist during the classes, actually being student during these classes.
What does “Instructor” do for me? The most what I see - I’ve been trusted more during the classes and trainings.
Every Instructor has a hard time during class watching the students. Having trusted student such class is much easier to teach. This gives more time to focus on teaching than watching others. So, more valuable information can be passed to the students.

5 Likes

I wholeheartedly agree … Cite then define; elaboration and delivery of an explanation in a manner that can be understood, possibly in several different deliveries, is key- and is the challenging part

1 Like

Have you ever had “Formal” training, i.e. Gunsite Academy, USCCA DSF … … , etc?
My recommendation would be to take a minimum of 4 classes from either of these entities. Learn on a personal level and then start watching the instructors on a professional level.

Ask the question, “Do I want to do this?” If the answer is “yes, I want to be an instructor” than go for it. Make it happen. You will need to invest in time and a lot more money.

Instructing for me is very rewarding. I love teaching and do it very well. Teaching is a skill, you have to know your material backwards and forwards AND be able to “teach” it, not just “tell” it.

Have you ever taught to adults before?

Once you decide, this is what you firmly want to do, then we can dig into the “becoming and instructor” details.

4 Likes

If you’re not looking to be an instructor, then the instructor classes aren’t for you. They do focus a lot on depth of knowledge AND how to teach. If you’re not going to teach, take a Defensive Shooting Fundamentals class or do the e-learning the USCCA offers. There will be a ton of information in those to help you take your training to the next level.

If you’re not sure, as a USCCA instructor in your area if you can watch a class and see exactly what they do during a given class.

If you think, you’d like to do this, but you’re not sure how to start, most ranges have their own instructors on staff. I started working at a range as counter help a couple of days a month. I think it’s a blast and I learn a lot from everyone who comes in-no matter their experience level. I also get to talk to a lot of people who are newer to guns and need training. That got my foot in the door to teach at the range.

Talk to local ranges and see if they’re looking for instructors or might need one in the not-too-distant future.
~Dawn

5 Likes

@Dawn is the information that USCCA instructors have an annual training quota accurate?

@Randyb , I think the fastest way to get the answer is to call the USCCA’s Instructor Support Team at 1-877-577-4800

It is 20 students.

2 Likes

I believe it’s 20 students a year. It’s not a huge quota depending on were you live and how you go about it.

Personally, I’ve done private lessons with more than 20 people in the last two months. But I also work at a range part time and have a lot of female students sent my way.

Just sign up for classes in skills you’d like to hone. The Instructor cert isn’t going to do anything for you personally.

1 Like