Pricy training classes

I was researching various training classes from very knowledgeable and experienced instructors who are very famous within the firearm community and dang some of them are pricy. I understand there is a lot that goes into it and it all depends on how you value your life but I wanted to take a class from someone who is even famous on YouTube who I’m not going to name drop but it was maybe a 2-3 day class if that and it listed for $5k. I’m all for training and I value my life but idk how that’s justifiable. Just my opinion. If you all have attended a class and have paid a pretty penny for it feel free to let me know how it went.

7 Likes

I would love to take a class with Clint Smith one day. I saw his classes were expensive, but the bigger cost is ammo, and lodging (his class isn’t cheap either, but the ammo and lodging make it about a 5,000 trip :sweat_smile:, and I’m not really accounting for travel)

3 Likes

I took James Yeager, fighting pistol and have never felt so confident with a pistol and will be happy to go back and train again.

6 Likes

Life’s value cannot be counted… but basic training shouldn’t start more than $50.
Then more money comes with more advanced classes - $99, $120, $150…
I’ve never paid more than $100 for indoor 4 hr class or $150 for whole day.

I like to watch “famous” people on YouTube… but I’m not sure if they can provide more defensive shooting training than “regular”, good local Instructor.

4 Likes

Free market, people can charge what they think others will pay. I see nothing wrong with paying less for a shorter class (i.e. something that doesn’t require a lodging fee) to sharpen a few skills under the eye of someone who doesn’t consider himself or herself a celebrity. Then when you have enough money and time, take another short class. Learning doesn’t have to be done in one grand weeklong sweep.

4 Likes

There are plenty of great USCCA instructors here in our family on this forum. Reach out to any of them in your area or, if you feel like traveling, find an instructor and class in an area you can piggy back it into a fun vacation.

7 Likes

Despite my opposition to the organization (how they’re run by the executive level folks), I recently took an NRA Defensive Pistol Class. It wasn’t but $125 for an 8 hour class. The instructor & his assistant were cool, knowledgeable, and professional. He was also a huge fan (perhaps an understatement) of 1911s and encouraged me to get one. He offered to knock some of the :moneybag: for the next session if I brought one with me :smile:. Some of the trainers in places like Raleigh are more expensive, with one training broken up into multiple sessions/ days. The money is not the #1 issue; it is the time. With my work schedule and 3 sons 5 years old & younger, it’s a bit much. My wife wasn’t thrilled about the NRA Class essentially killing an entire Saturday but she knows that this “thing of ours” is important to me. She respects that. :+1:t5:

:point_right:t5:NRA Instructor asked me what I thought about being an instructor… I didn’t know I was in class with guys who were getting their credentials to be instructors. I’m just trying to keep pushing & improving myself honestly! :v:t5:

6 Likes

No doubt “big name” classes are out the roof price wise. But like @Fizbin said, check out some local instructors cause you may be very surprised what you find. When I initially sought out instructor training I was certified by two individuals who were trained by one of these big name national instructors and still work very close with him now. I get the same training at a fraction of the cost and they also have started working with other well known instructors from the region to bring them in for a day at very reasonable prices. I have to travel a little over three hours but I never pay astronomical numbers, I actually see it as a credit to these guys cause they could be charging a great deal more on name recognition alone.

3 Likes

Many USCCA instructors are multi-disciplined such as myself. Starting life as a NRA instructor thru Defensive pistol, I still find the USCCA curriculum to be a better value.
Find a local instructor with time under their belt and set up a couple hours of one on one time see where you want take your gun handling.
Far less then $5K would be the USCCA Defensive class it’s a hard core class with lots of instruction and all the shooting you could want.

4 Likes

There are many great instructors who aren’t famous, so you can be very well trained at much more reasonable prices. That said, I certainly found my training with John Farnham and Massad Ayoob worth the money. You are paying for a level of experience that is just unparalleled. You can’t, for example, find anyone who will provide the level of legal training that Ayoob can and does include in what used to be called LFI-1.

But what class is $5K? Clint Smith’s classes are $800-1600 (and that $1600 class includes a couple of other instructors, including Rob Leatham who is not exactly a defensive pistol instructor but is an awesome person to learn from none-the-less). Ayoob’s classes are around $1000. Who has a $5000 2-3 day class and what does it include?

6 Likes

Like @Bill50, I cannot say enough good things about the USCCA Defensive Shooting classes!

You can find classes by different well known instructors for a huge range of prices. I would suggest finding out exactly what you are getting for the price.

The USCCA Instructor classes are not inexpensive, but you are getting your money’s worth!

I’ve heard great things about a number of the bigger names teaching classes - James Yeager and Massad Ayoob are two I hear about most. James has given workshops at the USCCA Expo in the past and they’re always well received. I’ve had the pleasure of taking a Massad Ayoob class and have two notebooks full of notes from the lectures.

Do you research about the instructors and classes and ask for feedback from former students. Hopefully that will help you find what you’re looking for!

6 Likes

USCCA Defensive Shooting Fundamentals rocks !!! :muscle: :+1: :love_you_gesture: :ok_hand:
Not expensive and worth every penny.

Regarding big names - definitely I’d like to meet and hear Mr. Ayoob one day, but for now reading his books has been giving me all his knowledge he is passing to the students (and it doesn’t cost a lot).

3 Likes

Just found he has a bunch of well-priced DVDs available https://thunderranch.wpengine.com/product-category/courses/training-dvds-and-books/

2 Likes

I was able to find one on YouTube. They are really good and I might actually buy some. I did buy his “Urban Rifle” book.

1 Like

James Yeager of tactical response, John Lovell warrior poet society, Clint and Heidi at Thunder Ranch, John Farnam, Chris Costa. There are a bunch of options if your willing to travel the list is endless. Most of these classes require 1000 rounds of ammo.

4 Likes

Welcome Warren and nice to have you as part of our family.

I have a friend who is a emergency medicine physician and LEO (medical director for a SWAT team). He swears by Mas Ayoob’s class.

2 Likes

Check out his YouTube videos too! They’re free :smiley:

3 Likes

Warrior Poet has some videos in the Community, @Warren8! Just use the magnifying glass in the upper right corner to search Warrior Poet. :smiley:

3 Likes

Hi Bill, Finding a local instructor to set up a couple hours would be great next step after I take my CCW class coming up in few weeks. Am a first time owner, as of a week ago in fact and have a lot of catching up to do. I want to establish great habits out the gate and seem to learn better hands on with a “mentor”. How might I find a local instructor (Phoenix Arizona area) to set up those couple hours of one on one ?

1 Like