USCCA Concealed Carry Instructor Cert

Congratulations, @Zee! You will make a fine instructor!

2 Likes

Thank you @Nathan, I’m excited (and nervous) about starting :smiley:

1 Like

I’m always OK with someone being nervous about starting or taking the next step in something they’re passionate about. It means they really do care and want to do a good job.

If you’re not a little nervous before an interview or starting something new you’re either not passionate about it or you’re not challenging yourself do as much as you can!

4 Likes

Congrats!! Ive thought about going through the course myself. have you got any students yet. Im wondering how lucrative this could be. Any thoughts?

3 Likes

@Anthony2 I’ve got some folks I know personally or from work that have already expressed an interest. I’m also going to approach my excellent trainer to see if I can work with him team-teaching some of the big classes he’s booking. Before I can teach in MI, I need to look at what’s required for MI certification as an instructor. In MO, All I have to do is register either with the county I’m teaching in (for free) or at the state level (for $10).

I don’t expect to teach a lot of classes in MO for a couple of reasons - since we’re a constitutional carry state, the prime motivator for getting a CPL is to get reciprocity when you travel… that greatly reduces people’s motivation to do it. Plus I spend more time on the road in MI than I do at home :confused:

For MI, once I’m sorted out with the state, I’ll need to find a range to teach through, not sure how complex that will be. Most likely they’ll want me to have liability insurance, so I’ll do that. Looked into it, it’s not very expensive… same as my general liability and errors and omissions liability that I carry for my engineering business.

I think there’s a HUGE market in MI right now, lots of people teaching and filling classes, so it’s going to be about getting the market visibility I think. That might be getting visible in a range, or on social media, or building referrals… lots of ways to build a business… I’ve done this in other industries, so I’ve got some ideas about what to do, just need to get my ducks in a row first.

Getting classes on the teacher platform through USCCA - their “classes near me” feature - should be a big boost to filling any classes I list.

I think my marketing stand-out-from-the-crowd will be that I’m a female teacher. Filling all-women classes is all good, but being a female teacher is a bonus for that market I think.

No idea what I should be charging yet, but sometimes there’s a margin available for something exclusive - and maybe a female teacher gives some extra value for some students.

2 Likes

Be sure to check out the resources offered for our Instructors, @Zee. They will give you some pretty good ideas.

Also, check out becoming a USCCA Affiliate as a way to make the most of your class earning potential.

2 Likes

@Anthony2 - forgot to answer - how lucrative - I think this like any small business, it’s what you make of it. You have to be willing to do the entrepreneurial thing. Looking at what the available market is, how to set your price, understanding your fixed and volume incremental costs are, working out your marketing, all those things need to be done.

Because I have another source of income, I don’t need to make a lot of money teaching… if it pays for my new gear and guns and range time, it’s a win. If I can do better than that by influencing the way people feel about 2A and what they do about their own safety, that’s an outstanding reward all by itself.

Do I think this can be lucrative? Define lucrative :slight_smile:

Do I think I can replace my engineering income with it? probably not. Do I think I can make enough to provide a retirement income after the farm is paid off? probably so. It’s a lot in how hard I’m willing to work to create a business success of it.

1 Like

@ zee Thats some really great Information, thank you for taking the time to respond so thoroughly. I had no idea there was so much to consider but I guess it makes sense. I live in Arizona which is a great gun state and a bit more relaxed and 2A friendly in terms of gun laws.

I also have a primary career field/source of income so i would just consider doing this as a secondary source.

Thank you again, you have definitely giving me some things to consider.

Best wishes for your future as an instructor.

Tony

3 Likes

One more thing to consider… I know I’ll learn better if I teach. For me, any time I want to be genuinely excellent at a thing I train not just to do it but to teach it. Even if I never teach enough to pay my bills, training to teach and teaching yield rewards in being excellent that have their own value.
I’d do it even if it wasn’t lucrative.

2 Likes

@Anthony2 and @Zee - I learn so much every time I teach! And it’s different nuances ever time! Definitely worth the investment to help me be able to educate others and defend myself as best I possibly can!

2 Likes

I got my Black belt from Hanks🤪

2 Likes

I’m really glad to hear about people accomplishing great things.
I’m disabled and can’t travel and can’t do things I would love to do, but I’m thrilled to be a part of a fantastic organization like the USCCA. They protect, educate, train, and offer ways for people to grow and better themselves. I’m proud of all my fellow members. I wish y’all the best in your endeavors.

2 Likes

Hi @Mike :slight_smile:

I suspect you know things about CC that I don’t - just because you have different conditions to deal with in your daily life. Every time I talk with someone who’s life differs from mine I learn things, and I never know when that information is going to be something that a friend or student is going to need to know.

Just like there are starting to be good books and blogs and sources and equipment for women (finally!), there is a need for equally good books and blogs and sources and equipment for people who have a variety of disabilities. My guess is that is a largely unfilled need. Maybe you’re the guy to start filling in a part of it.

2 Likes

Great point! I may consider doing this training in the near future, and your comments have been very helpful towards making that decision. thank you again.

3 Likes

Congratulations.

2 Likes

thank you @FREERAVEN23 :smile:

2 Likes

Welcome. Great achievement.

2 Likes

Congratulations @Zee

3 Likes

@FREERAVEN23 @Orpackrat thank you!

2 Likes

Just got my CCHD Instructor Cert in Charleston, WV also. Great course!

3 Likes