USCCA Bail/Bond Limit of 50k

Hi there, I’ve read most of the contracts for legal protection out there and obviously USCCA is by far the best. But one downside I noticed is that the Elite members only seem to have 50k of bail/bond (which does come out of the criminal defense fund i believe). Anyway, what are your thoughts, are any of you going to double insure, like say, with Firearms Legal Protection which covers 250k in bail/bond? They definitely suck though considering their exclusions don’t cover defensive display, having to shoot family members, or even using your hands i dont think. Not here endorsing Firearm Legal Protection. What are your thoughts

3 Likes

A lot of times bail bonds only require a 10% payment of the full amount, so in that instance, a $50,000.00 could protect you if your bail was $500,000. @MikeBKY do you have any input about bail bonds? I know the laws differ on bail bonding from state to state.

10 Likes

In Kentucky the bonds are paid directly to the Court. When the courts reorganized in the 70s bail bondsmen were outlawed. Our bonds are decided by the court and the court decides what the amount is and what must be paid. It is usually full case, 10%, property (valued at 2x the bond amount) or surety/signature.

6 Likes

Hmm still a little confused… so FLP would cover a quarter mil which would cost them 25k in California… so USCCA would cover that as well at the same amount for platinum but in states where its different then FLP might be better on that point alone

3 Likes

FLP is a “prepaid legal services plan.” They provide help with bond, legal fees and a few other services, such as gun replacement and counseling.

Here’s the sample language for FLP on bail bonds.

We will pay the premium for a bail bond from a licensed bail bond service for a bail bond with a face value up to $250,000.

So if you assume having to post 10% of the bond of 250K, their limit is $25K. Assuming you have a $500K bond, they will cover 1/2 of the bondsman fee.

One of the good things about KY is that it is not a premium. As long as you comply with the bond conditions, you get your money back, that is not true of a bondsman premium.

FLP also assigns an attorney, you have no choice.

They do have a red flag amendment providing representation for the hearing which is interesting. Something USCCA might want to consider putting something like this in writing @Dawn!

https://firearmslegal.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/General.pdf

6 Likes

They do, however in most states if a restraining order is granted you lose your firearms anyway right? I dont think those red flag laws are are used all that often as people think…could be wrong though.

3 Likes

A lot of states are just getting red flag laws in place (or are trying) so we’ve yet to see how they’ll be used. Some states with new laws are working the heck out of them.

8 Likes

Didn’t know that… good to know

4 Likes

And unfortunately killing citizens in their homes.

5 Likes

Just want to say I love everyone finally becoming educated about their local and federal laws. I wish more would become educated and active in politics as the way the system was made only works if you hold your local officials to their word and follow up with educated voting.

11 Likes

keep in mind also, while it is true most states will only require the 10% to bond out, some states want collateral for the remaining 90%…so if your bond is $500,000 and USCCA post $50,000 you could still be required to put up collateral worth the remaining $450,000 to be released…which most people do not have.

8 Likes

Unfortunately here in Minnesota, last I knew anyway, the uscca can’t pay the bail. I’ve also heard that from other providers and that in itself is a bad thing about Minnesota. Although, Minnesota is a crap ton better than Illinois. There is a reason I avoid Illinois at all cost, they ate heading down the rabbit hole with all their firearm laws. Point in case, the FOID card to buy even ammo, let alone own a firearm, the 10 round magazine law and many other things.

4 Likes

The USCCA self- Defense Liability Policy

1 Like

@Larry4,

I’m sorry you feel that way and wish we could change your mind.

However, a ‘friend’ of mine can vouch that you do not have to sit in jail and write for help. We have a special group of certified individuals who are known as the Critical Response Team available 24/7, 365 days a year.

This friend says that within minutes they were on the phone with these individuals and although no criminal or civil charges were brought, USCCA or Delta Defense, LLC, being technical, insurance company being Universal Fire and Casualty Insurance was ready to handle all costs.

Now, this friend is in my state being Louisiana and regardless of what bond amount is or what USCCA will pay is irrelevant because Louisiana does NOT allow bail or bond insurance. Honestly, it’s a good law.

Having insurance for bail would allow many criminals to walk out and harm other individuals.

2 Likes

Wow and I thought having this kind of Insurance was a good thing. I guess I need to study up a little bit.

1 Like

@Mike164,

Trust me, you don’t wanna get caught without this type of insurance. Hopefully you will never need it but trust me if you do it will bless your life.

4 Likes

I’m not sure where you saw that information, Larry, but it’s not quite right. You do not have to send a letter. If you’re in a self-defense incident and the threat has stopped, please call the police and then call the USCCA. Follow the prompts for the Critical Response team and they will get one of the USCCA Attorney Network attorneys in contact with you as quickly as possible.

You can also specify any attorney you’d like to work with as soon as you set up your membership and they don’t have to be in the USCCA Attorney network. Then if you’re in an incident, the Critical Response Team will get in touch with the attorney you’ve specified.

If you start with an attorney in the USCCA network and decided to change, you can change your attorney at any point.

If you cannot call right after a self-defense incident due to being detained, your family or friend can call the Critical Response Team with your information.

The USCCA is not a pre-pay legal company. The attorney network is not USCCA or Delta Defense staff. Delta Defense is the service provider for the USCCA. You can see more about what Delta Defense does here: https://www.deltadefense.com/services

The limits of membership benefits are outlined in your Membership benefits terms here.

5 Likes

You may want to look at one of your personal insurance polices. At least in every Kentucky, Indiana, Ohio, Florida, Tennessee and West Virginia policies I have reviewed, the actual insuring agreement does not state the “limits of insurance” but refers back to “Policy Declarations.” The “Policy Declarations” include the specific coverages, the limits of coverage, the policy period and the premiums. The USCCA website shows that the limits for Self Defense Liability Insurance Claims and Damages is $2,000,000 per claim and the Self Defense Liability Insurance Defense Expenses is $250,000 with a $50,000 bail bond limit.

7 Likes

It happened to two people I know in my state.

1. person in hospital - tells doctor “ I rather be dead than be here “
  2. girlfriend calls cops - “ he threatened me “ not true he left his own house to D escalate

1 & 2 guns taken
:us::us::us:

4 Likes

I think when they take your gun after a situation , they should give you a receipt that has explaintions on how you may get it back in detail when you are acquitted and free to go.

3 Likes