Up close and personal defense

Self-defense is not always 7-10 feet away. You’re not always going to have time to present your weapon from the holster and get a good stance – or even a two-handed grip.

Scott W. Wagner gives you some things to consider if you’re ever in that ultra-close defense situation.
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/contact-shots-fighting-at-bad-breath-range/

One sad take away from this blog article for me was:

(Note to average citizens: It is no longer safe to be a good Samaritan, armed or not. Possessing a gun does not make you bulletproof. Call 911 to assist those needing aid.)

What other things should we consider if we have to take that contact shot?

5 Likes

I think some things to consider are:
1) You likely will only get one shot (as the article mentions slides will go out of battery), then what? What’s the rest of the plan to defend your life or lives of those you love?
2) In CQB, “your” gun becomes “our” gun (I got that from John Correa) and you may be on the receiving end of your own weapon if the attacker is able to stuff your draw or otherwise wrestle the gun from you.
3) What other weapons do I have that might better help defend me? I carry a tactical pen, pocket knife, multi-tool and flashlight in my EDC…can I use the strobe feature of the light to temporarily distract him allowing me to get some distance for a clearer shot, can I use that tactical pen to jab him in key spots that will make him quit should we become entangled?

For reason number 2 above, I tend to think I probably wouldn’t draw in “bad-breath range” (again everything is situational) and would instead figure out how to increase the distance or use one of my other forms of defense to defend myself. I’ve had some training in hand to hand from the military and recent self-defense courses, but that’s definitely an area I need practice in. The problem is my darn family refuses to act as my “practice dummies” :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Let’s not forget. Hands are very valuable weapons also.

5 Likes

And elbows and knees…

5 Likes

Ungrateful wretches!

4 Likes

And the heel is great to break the arch of the foot if someone’s got you from behind.

2 Likes

Grab, twist and yank works too!

Seriously. Fight dirty.

3 Likes

Fair fights are for suckers.

4 Likes

Bad Breath Fighting:

Fight dirty (genitals are always fair game as are eyes and throats).

Break contact (Get away from them, NEVER go to ground with an opponent unless it is an animal) .

Gain space (Once you get loose RUN 3 - 5 steps and turn 90* and RUN 2 more steps then face your attacker)

If someone is going to close with you and ENVELOPE you they have already demonstrated their desire to inflict great bodily harm to you. That said it is your job to LIVE. Use all tools at your disposal to effect that. Much more can be said on the how to’s etc.

Cheers,

Craig6

5 Likes

And let’s not forget elbows when you are up close and personal!

2 Likes

Got to love steel toed boots, one swift kick anywhere will mean a bad day for anyone receiving…

A jab with my pocket needle point pen.

Rapid open knife but even not opening it, the window break tool on the end…

I have a nasty key flail, its painful…

If you step into your attackers attack, you throw them off and gain the advantage.

3 Likes

One of things I’ve read (and hope to never need) that has stuck with me is “explosive delivery”. Basically it’s the idea that if you’re in a grappling fight, hold nothing back, deliver everything you have. Scream, poke, hit, bite, kick, stomp… whatever you can reach. Bite like you are going to bite chunks out. If you can get hold of a finger, fold it back and break it off. If you can get to an eye, take it out of their head.

The idea communicated here is that nobody holds on to a scratching biting fighting cat… nobody holds on to an exploding bomb. Be explosive. Make them want to drop hold of you and get back. When the reaction is suprising and bigger than what’s expected, it can make an agressor stop, step back, and change their mind. And if all it does is give you 2 feet and a moment of time, that may be enough for you to do what you need to… run, move, draw, or shoot.

5 Likes

I grew up in a rather sheltered town where you didn’t hear about the bad, so I never thought of fighting dirty. And as girls, we’re taught to be nice and fair.

After getting hit pretty hard in a tae kwon do sparring match with an illegal hit, I realized that while I love TKD, it wasn’t really preparing me for a life and death fight. There is no fair fight when you’re fighting for your life - and I think society has done a lot of people a disservice in not acknowledging that.

IMO: When you’re in a class, you fight by the rules. When you’re defending yourself, there are only two rules - 1. do everything you can to save your life and 2. do everything you can to not hurt an innocent bystander.

5 Likes

Thank You for your insight…
This weekend I had an encounter and the aggressor was within 2 feet of me even as I took a step back in my own driveway.
Just the act of pulling my weapon out of the conceal position has left me with a bitter taste in my mouth and I still trying to mentally recover from it.
Then your post and it made me realize that with all the past experiences I have seen this person with other neighbors had I not reached for my defense I would have been the 10 neighbor that he would have sucker punched.
The only thing that saved me was the fact I had the ability to meet force with the same force being aggressively put upon me. I never knew till that day how much I HATE violence but realized afterwards just how evil people can be.
Thank You emotionally a bit better after your read and that even in a Stand your Ground State that as a responsible Weapons owner I do have back down to better take care of myself.
Thank You

4 Likes

welcome to the group @Alicia1
It sounds like you had a really frightening experience :grimacing:
And it sounds like you were prepared to defend yourself, and that you did so successfully - good job!

Any time we encounter evil, it can be hard to make peace with, I think - for those of us who aren’t wired that way, it’s really hard to make sense of. Clearly the aggressor has shown both his intent to do harm, and his willingness to do so, and you responded appropriately to the threat.

The best I have to offer you is to know that you have the absolute right to protect yourself, and that you did what you needed to do. That doesn’t make evil not exist, but knowing that you can respond when it is threatening is an important lesson. I hope as you work this through you’ll find that your sense of having done the right thing in the face of a threat will help you feel more confident in your own abilities.

very glad you’re here, and that you’re ok.

3 Likes

If you want a fair fight put on gloves and get in a ring with a referee.

On the streets the only fair fight is the one I can walk away from when its done.

3 Likes

@Alicia1 I don’t know what I said but in any case you are welcome if it brought you some peace of mind. If I am reading your post correctly you had to pull your weapon and that act was good enough to thwart the attack. In that case you have a. Lived b. Learned and c: With any luck will never have to do it again.

That bitter taste in the back of your throat is either literal (bile) or figurative (disgust) both of which are common following a life threatening event. In other words you had a normal reaction and you are human.

On the other end if this guy has sucker punched 9 of your neighbors you need to go talk with your local LEO, he may think he is playing a game but your reality is a different story AND you can positively ID him before he does it again.

Cheers,

Craig6

6 Likes

@Alicia1, @Craig6 @Zee Alicia1 I want you to know you’re safe here. Many of us have dealt with similar life experience and mental aftermath. As Craig6 and Zee noted Good on ya! You met evil - if you call it that - or at the least a human-animal which doesn’t think of the love of life and rejoicing in every day they have in living; as most of us do. The shock of meeting someone who doesn’t share the civil contract, that doesn’t even have an idea of what that means, has caused good people’s hearts to skip a beat or so because of the shock of realization.

Now, remember, You ARE safe Here. I want you to stop and think a moment, however, and remember the moment you were able to face him down. I want you to visualize the look on his face as he started his approach to you and that instant right after he realized he either had to put up or shut up. What did you see there? Was it terror and surprise? Was it surprise and no, I don’t want that, No? was it a smirk or condescension? A half-smiling nod? Was it just a cold blank face, or anger? Think about it, and really see what his reaction was to your denial of what he wanted to do most at that moment.

Ok, now… You can think clearly about what you might want to do next. Does this rise to the need to contact the Police and protect yourself, your family? Do you need to move somewhere else - for a few days or? Does everyone else in your neighborhood, people you know to be civil and lawful; good neighbors; do they know what happened? Has this man been dealt with since this happened to you?

Alicia1 I want to see your signature on these forums for a long time to come. I think you may find this group a good touchstone to come back and read occasionally, or, join with us and become part of the community. But I want you to realize, of all of us here, right now, you are within a statistically significant period of time where you are more at risk. Stack the deck, do things that improve your security and that of your family. IF it means you need to protect yourself from this individual OR his aquaintances let law enforcement know. Let your adult family know. Tell a trusted friend or more. Stack the deck in your favor.

5 Likes

See this is what I love about this community… everyone has picked up a different link in the chain. Together, this is an amazing place. @Alicia1 I hope you find everything you need in it.

3 Likes

I want to Thank each of you for the support given.
I feel a bit better about the whole ordeal.
The Bitter taste - is both figurative and Literal.
My neighbors look was a surprising smirk of condescending attitude.
I was yelling at my husband to call the Police and the neighbor was repeating everything I said.
2 LEO’s showed up a female and male Officer.
My neighbor for over 30 minutes had the male Officer and telling him all sorts of lies - my neighbors intent was to have me arrested.
The Female Officer watched my video - yes video -I had turned the camera on my phone before I ever walked up the driveway and he approached me on my driveway with me yelling and screaming at him that he was trespassing and leave me alone.
Then the Male Officer came into my house and watched the video and knew exactly who was lying.
The Police have been called on him many times and total he has severed a year and half in County lock up for his various assaults leading to him being permanently placed on the Violent Offenders List.
He wont’ be outside when it is cold but this Spring I am sure he will have come up with a scheme that will leave him once again playing the victim card.
It’s okay I always have my phone recording when I am outside…my husband is thinking about investing in a pair of sunglasses with a bodycam in them.
The weapon side of it all; I am seriously considering going to a local range and taking the Defensive Woman classes in an Urban environment that will bolster my confidence in drawing my weapon and what to/not to do.
I need to be more proactive in going to the range that starts this weekend.
I wanted to give you all and update.
Thank You so much it was empowering to know that when things like this happen it is normal.
Thank You; Thank You; Thank You…

5 Likes