U.S. Army to Convert Over 300,000 M4 Carbines to Enhanced M4A1 Standard

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/u-s-army-to-convert-over-300-000-m4-carbines-to-enhanced-m4a1-standard/ar-BB1js0U4?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=c9ae186064e34dd39f997f3a591a361a&ei=4

This forum must not accept MSN.com articles sometimes (can’t say that’s a negative! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:) So you may have to copy and paste to play it or just go to msn and look it up.
But if you want to enjoy an article that starts off with a Gunner rockin’ the house w/ an M4! this is for you! The rest of the discussion , about the development of the M4A1 is cool (but the beginning is a must see for all Gunners) MOO!

Bon apatite! BANG BANG! :crazy_face:

7 Likes

That is one expensive looking setup, whew

4 Likes

Now, that definitely looks like one mean assault weapon.

4 Likes

“SCARY Black rifles Matter” Brother! :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face:

8 Likes

It does…I reckon, just looking at the pic, there is most likely a third position on that selector.

4 Likes

My original M4 is (30) years old. I had to replace the barrel and it doesn’t have
the tube underneath (pity), I have a laser like that one but not all the bells and whistles.
Mine is light and ‘might’ have a third position on the lower… maybe ? :crazy_face:

4 Likes

I’m jealous, I’d love to run that course.

6 Likes

Remembering the old Army commercial- “An Army Of One.” Now, picture a whole bunch of troops outfitted with these puppies…

8 Likes

Been there, done that, got a bunch of Tee-Shirts!
Wearing my battle rattle, Even walking around the base was
like the old saying ‘10’ tall w/ a hard-on!’
It was the BEST time of my Life.
I don’t pine for those days
But it has me ready for what’s coming!

8 Likes

It would be cheaper for me to just buy a Ruger Mini14 :man_shrugging:t4: and go A-Team :wink:

5 Likes

Probably true. But I remember that show. Anytime they were shooting and they said the words “I’m out…” it meant that the mini-14 had jammed because of weak blanks. Also, my mini has never had an FTF or FTE so you may be on to something…

5 Likes

The folding stock :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

OK… Then you’d have to spend double $$$$ to get the sniper wrap to cover up all that CHROME! :rofl:

6 Likes

You mean I couldn’t count on all the glare from the chrome upsetting the BGs aim?!? Now, THAT’S disappointing.

5 Likes

I can’t watch the video at the moment. What is the difference between an M4 and an enhanced M4A1? Is it just all the accessories added on or are their functional differences in the rifle itself?

4 Likes

No need when Murdoch is providing air cover :wink:

6 Likes

Here is another site that explains the upgrade. Here is part of the article:

The U.S. Army is currently in the process of converting their M4s to M4A1s. One of the big differences between the two is the M4 has a three-round burst setting, and the M4A1 has full auto. Having used full auto a few times in combat to suppress enemy fire, I have found it a useful feature. But suppression is about the only thing full auto is good for. Trying to control full-auto fire in accurate bursts at anything beyond about 25 yards is very difficult.

The reason is the approximate 900 rounds-per-minute (rpm) cyclic rate. The rate of fire in full auto is way too fast for any sort of control: the recoil pulse causes the carbine to instantly start climbing up and off target no matter how short the burst. The solution is to slow down the rate of fire, which would afford the user better recoil management and control over the lengths of bursts.

The technology already exists to do this just by swapping out one part. The company Ferfrans offers a bolt carrier that, due to its special design, slows the rate of fire out of an M4A1 to around 650 rpm, at which rate the M4A1 is very controllable. I have used the Ferfrans in both an MK18 and an M4A1 and have found it slows down the rate so well that you can control the exact number of rounds per burst you want to shoot on full auto.

Even two-round bursts were totally feasible with the Ferfrans system. That could totally change the way soldiers are trained to shoot. In Special Operations, thousands of rounds and countless hours are spent first learning, then maintaining the ability to shoot extremely fast double taps and multi-shot strings. Imagine the time and ammo that could be saved by using a carbine that one could just control the number of rounds fired in full-auto bursts. A slower mechanical rate of full-auto fire permits this.

6 Likes

In 1971, my M16 had a 3 position selector- SAFE, SEMI-, and FULL AUTO. The instructors hammered us on trigger control when in full auto to achieve 3 round bursts. By the time they were finished with us, the larger percentage of us, for the most part. had that ability with the remainder being able to cut off at a 4 round burst. Any bursts exceeding these would be, as you say, useful in suppressive fire.( or a desire to shoot up random sections of the countryside.) Full auto barrel burners were lots of fun, though- belt bed supplied extended amounts of fun due to 250 round belts as opposed to changing out those pesky 20 round mags (loaded with 18 rounds to minimize possible jamming.) Yee-Haw!!

6 Likes

TRUTH!
When I rock n Roll now it’s (3) round bursts! Accurate and Fun.
I borrowed an M60 (from a friend) once and She rocked the House!
(I don’t know if I hit anything but it was so cool I had to wipe my mouth
of drool and check my pants for moisture! Oh Brother that’s the JUICE!)
I found the 3-4 round bursts better than full auto for suppressive fire. I’ve
seen guys Mag dump and didn’t see many hits, It just made the rest of us work harder.
If you have a Fire Team you have your sectors and areas of responsibility, you have a guy
dumping and not doing the job it just makes it possible for the bad guys to breech your security.
You need control and focus and not just sling lead (my opinion–but what do I know)
I just know what works for me.
But when you are safe and at a Range (THAT LETS YOU!) Mag dumping is a KICK!

5 Likes