Military moving away from 556?

Thoughts?

3 Likes

They have been working on this for a while. Although I like the 240B. They just got tired of shooting people multiple times with a 5.56 before they go down for good. Change is good. :us:

4 Likes

Improvement by using longer shooting distance capability rifles would be great across our military platform.

4 Likes

SOCOM wants a machine gun to hit targets out to 6,500 to 8,200 yards.

From the article, the Marines are looking at the .338 Norma magnum, and the Army at the 6.8 round.

4 Likes

Just another scary weapon that civilians can adopt to piss off liberals!
I’LL TAKE TWO, PLEASE, IN PURPLE AND GREEN! Gotta have one for my wife.
As long as they are not black, so we don’t have to repeal the 2A!

5 Likes

Man thats a cool looking machine, But can it shoot reliably? This is my first look on it. Talk to me lol

3 Likes

Also been considering new “family transport system”, jet sold separately!
As far as the machine gun, I’ve seen it in action, I have 10 grandchildren and between us, 8 Xboxes, it’s reliable!

4 Likes

I like the family transport also!!! :us:

1 Like

The fine line between weight and stopping power. The military ditched the M14 for the M16 because the troops can carry more ammo. Of course since 556 is a lighter round you lose the one shot kill thing. But since troops can carry assloads more ammo you can afford to be a little free with shooting. Its all a give to get thing.

4 Likes

I thought 556 rifles are not for making the enemy dead, but for an infantry squad to restrict mobility of the enemy squad, so artillery and air support can make them dead.

8,200 yards is not a chip shot, I wonder what kind of target they hope to hit.

1 Like

I thought the military’s top priority was inclusion, being woke and diversity.

Seventy-five percent of young men are too fat and out-of-shape to even qualify.

1 Like

My understanding is they are going to an interchangeable 6.5 Creedmoor system.

1 Like

The fog of war :slight_smile:
I recall same arguments from 20 years ago. The article says 6.8 (6.8spc?), 6.5cm is what they’ve been saying for a long time.
Machine gunning with a 338 norma mag. Each round is like 10x the cost of 7.62x51, good grief.

3 Likes

I’d imagine part of the issue is the limitations on ammo they are allowed to use. If I was using ball ammo or fmj I would probably want a bigger round.

3 Likes

Fortunately cooler heads have finally prevailed on this topic. Used to could the 168gr BTHP Match round was considered as a “hollow point” thus banned by a convention we never signed. Now the 175 SMK is the standard medium range round and the 190/220gr SMK is normal in the 300 WM and authorized for combat use. Have not seen any “protected point” rounds (AKA Accubond / Ballistic Tip etc.) on the small arms side of the house so I don’t know if they have crossed that bridge yet.

Platform interchangeability is what killed the effectiveness of the original 118 LR. Sub Lot A was a smoking hot round designed to be fired in bolt guns only and it was awesome. Some bean counter asked the question what would happen if a bunch of that was run through an M-60/240/M-14 and the answer wasn’t good. So it got dumbed down to FGMM levels, shame, it made the M-24x & M-40x a viable 1200 yard platform.

Cheers,

Craig6

4 Likes

I have been hearing the same thing from one gun channel to the other :us:

I was a Squid so we had M-14s & 1911s. I let the Gunnersmates shoot the big guns on our Ships. Back in my day the embarked Marines onboard were still using M-16s. I’m 556 ignorant as far as practical application but it makes sense to me that the caliber of the 6.5 would be looked at closely.