Two-handed grip with support hand and thumb and finger placement on Glock

My EDC is a Glock Gen5 9x19. I’ve been shooting Glock pistols for over 20 years but have never had any training from experts or ever before until now watched any training videos.

I’ve watched a couple of the two-handed-grip training videos here. They recommend: 1) placing the palm (that portion at the base of the thumb) of the support hand on the grip tightly against the opposing palm of the trigger hand so as to close the gap on the grip ; 2) placing the thumb of the support hand below and parallel along with the thumb of the trigger hand; 3) wrapping the four fingers of the support hand around and over the three fingers of the trigger hand at the front of the grip; and 4) stabilizing the pistol by applying pressure only to the two palms on the grip.

Different from what I’ve seen in the videos here, for my two-handed grip I have always before placed the thumb of my support hand over and across the thumb of my trigger hand. That seems to be the more comfortable position for me. It’s more like quickly, in the process of firing multiple rounds, adding a second hand to my usual one-handed grip, rather than quickly, as I’m shooting or preparing to shoot, changing the one-handed grip of my trigger hand to accommodate a second hand. Not sure that it makes any difference. Requesting comments as to whether I should train to instead place the support hand thumb under the trigger hand thumb, as described in the videos here.

Also different from what I’ve seen here, I have always gripped the front, outside of the trigger guard with the index finger of my support hand. That seems to add stability for me, and seems to minimize upward recoil bump of the front of the pistol and helps to recover sight more quickly. Requesting comments on that, too, as to whether I should train to instead keep the index finger of the support hand back with the other fingers. (I anticipate that some might say that placing the index finger of the support hand anywhere forward from the trigger rather than below the trigger guard risks accidental bump of the trigger and discharge by that support index finger.)

Thanks in advance for any thoughtful input.

1 Like

Welcome @buzz, glad you found us :slightly_smiling_face:

Are you keeping both thumbs on the same side of the gun?

If you’re crossing the support thumb over the web of the strong hand behind the slide, you do NOT want to do that… that slide will come back at over 70 mph and take a chunk of your thumb with it. Slide bite is bad.

If you’re locking the left thumb over the right, but both are on the left side of the gun, that’s a revolver hold… useful for keeping the thumbs away from the flash that comes out the front of the cylinder on a revolver.

I learned that way 25 years ago and applied it to my first semiauto as well.

The grip the USCCA teaches is better, more modern, and more stable. For recoil control, you want the maximum amount of the palms of both hands in contact with the grip. I shoot mostly double stacks, a lot of them Glocks. And I do hold pressure with the fingers around the front of the grip, but not like I’m choking it to death… more like a military grade firm manly handshake. :grin: solid, but not bone crushing.

You want the strong hand web high on the back of the grip. Strong hand middle finger right up under and contacting the trigger guard. thumbs lined up parallel to each other (like spooning) left snuggled up below the right, both pointed forward. Meat of the palm of the left hand, from base of thumb down through the heel on the “gap” the right hand leaves open on the grip, left index finger over the right middle and also right up under the trigger guard.

The reason for not getting the left index on the front of the trigger guard, I think, is it reduces the chance of getting the left index IN the trigger guard and accidentally firing. When holy heck is breaking loose and the adrenaline hits, your fine motor control goes out the window, so its much easier to make that sort of error. If you train for the finger below, covering the right hand fingers only. it’s more tolerant of gross motor errors…

I’ve found the position USCCA teaches has improved my repeatability and accuracy. Once I got used to it. Took a couple trips to the range. And now it’s what I do.

2 Likes

@Zee & @Buzz

I like what and where you are going with a draw grip. One thing an old gun fighter taught me was that your GRIP was paramount. Where the web of your hand contacts the backstrap of the gun. To that end (if you are right handed) when you drive your right hand down on the firearm keep your Index AND Middle fingers straight. As you transition from holster to retention or center point the index finger will come to an ISOLATED rest on the trigger. The middle finger will grip the gun along with the rest of the fingers. When coming center with your draw the right hand fingers are locked, the left hand simply becomes support and wraps around the right naturally

This technique took some tmie to perfect but when it came together MY group sizes were cut in half and my point/instinctive shooting was stupid better.

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

Yep, every single day :grin:

1 Like

Any links to videos for one-handed shooting grip would be appreciated, too.

1 Like

The grip you are used to using was “the grip” for decades. It is still “The Grip” for shooting revolvers.

Recent research has favored the “thumbs high and forward” ind inline with one another instead of “wrapped and trapped” as being better for accuracy and recoil management.

Tough habit to break.

1 Like

@buzz, I shot with my support hand index finger on the front of the trigger guard for many years rationalizing it just like you. My additional rational was a lot of gun makers seem to encourage it by putting “grip” there. I connected with an old friend last year that goes shooting with a great group of guys every week. I started shooting with them (not every week) and they all thought I shot pretty good.

One of the Range Officers asked me if I’d like to tighten up my groups. One of my new buddies said “What are you talking about; he shoots as good or better than any of us”. This guy changed my grip to what you described the USCCA teaches. My shooting did not improve markedly that day, but my groups were MUCH better the next range session. Between those two sessions I practiced dry firing every day with the “new” grip to teach myself muscle memory because I had so many years of the other muscle memory instilled. The RO also told me to check out a video about “Combat Grip” by Lenny Magill. You may have already watched it, it is long, in depth, maybe a little dry, but very informative: Lenny Magill explains the "Combat Grip." - YouTube

Please let us know if you find a good one handed grip tutorial.

1 Like

Just thought of something, 2 hand grip I ride the safety with my shooting hand thumb. 1 hand grip I move the thumb under the safety. This gives me better purchase on the grips and makes sure the grip safety is fully engaged. 1911 shown, but should be applicable to other configurations to get the shooting hand thump up and out of the way for the support hand in 2 handed grip and better purchase for 1 handed grip.

2 handed 1st photo, 1 handed 2nd photo

2_Hand_Grip

1_Hand_Grip

Hopefully some of the instructors and more experienced will chime in if my approach is all wet.

1 Like

Most of my firearms don’t have an external safety, but that looks consistent with what I do. I’ll have to check the 1911 tonight.

I find my strong hand thumb applies a small amount of downward pressure on the top of my support hand thumb, and (at least on most of the glocks) the support hand thumb rides in the divot where the takedown lever is, and it provides light pressure from the side.

That’s a good recommendation… I like Lenny Magill’s videos, and they’re well shot, good camera angles, and very clear instruction on what and why.

Jerry Miculek has a very good video with the Grip and Technique. He also mentions about placing your support hand index finger on the outside trigger guard and using a little skate board tape on the outside part of trigger guard. I have use this technique and it works great shooting Glocks, especially; for sub compact 26 & 27 when you only get just 3 fingers on the grip. It helps control the muzzle flip. When you hold your pistol in the “Combat Grip” ( Lennie Magill’s saying…Good video) I have large hands, my support hand fingers are passed the trigger, I need to worry about my finger in front of the barrel more than the trigger, but that comings with training.

1 Like

Walter3, great video and much food for thought. Miculek says do it if you can so as to add stability. Yet it’s evidently something he’s been able to get by without. At this very moment my tendency is to do my muscle memory repetition drawing and dry-firing evening practicing without it. But next time or two or three at getting out to the range I may do some experimenting to see how their respective shot placement groups compare. That will probably involve simply standing and aiming statically, then rapidly firing two shots with one method, rest for a minute, then repeat with the other method. Do that 30 times, probably spread out over two or three trips. Then apply statistical tests for significant difference.

2 Likes

Sounds like science :grin:
You may consider throwing out the first 10 or 15 times on any “new” techniques you try, as you want to get a bit of comfort and command of that new technique before you start taking measurements. Maybe throw out the first couple of range trips with that technique and then start collecting your criss-comparison data.

@Buzz
Hope you’ll share your results when you’re done.

Just make sure it doesn’t ride below the safety or you could get yourself in an awful bind.

With a 1911 my thumb instinctively rides above the safety as soon as I flick it off. The safety then ends up between my thumbs with a two handed grip.

1 Like

I can attest to this. When you’ve got many thousands of repetitions doing things one way and then have to try to change your mechanics it takes quite a bit of repetition before you’ll become comfortable enough with the change to really see how much benefit if any there is to it.

Training out the old habits can be extremely difficult if they are as deeply ingrained as some of mine.

1 Like

Gary_H_aka_Gary12, I was looking for a way to private message you here and may have accidentally flagged your post. If so, didn’t intend to.

1 Like

It wasn’t important, anyway.

1 Like

WildRose, the reason I didn’t see it was because I was clicking on their name where it appears on the right at the top of a post made by someone else who is replying to them. The message option doesn’t come up there. I see now that you have to instead click on their name where it appears on the left at the top a post they have made.

2 Likes