Tactical Tuesday: Litte tweaks

I talked with a long-time shooter after his first private lesson with a trainer last week. He never knew he was left eye dominant and always shot right eye dominant. That one hour lesson did more to help his shooting that the training he’d been doing for years.

He was happy with the results.

The little things can make a huge difference.

What little tweaks have helped you improve your shooting?

3 Likes

<< Using Mantis X.
Having a device, mounted on the firearm while dry and live firing which generates gyroscopic and temporal data transmitted to a smartphone or tablet by Bluetooth fed in relationship to a predicated course of fire is just phenomenal .

When it comes to quiet hands and smooth triggers I’ve seen nothing else like it.

1 Like

I was always struggling with proper grip. Not “MASTER” grip, mine has been always hard and strong.
Recently during dry fire practice I’ve discovered that relaxing the squeeze of strong hand and pushing both bases of the thumb against each other definitely stabilize handgun much better.

2 Likes

New trick for an old dog. I have for years been drawing from the holster with a 3 finger grip. I have had a recent epiphany to draw with 2 fingers extended. While I still drive the web of my hand into the backstrap for the initial “grab”. The two fingers forward when my second hand wraps the gun provides for a MUCH superior lock up when closing the middle finger. It takes a bit of practice but comes together rather quickly.

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

I tend to reholster that way, @Craig6. I noticed I was doing it during my Defensive Shooting Fundamentals class. But I don’t do it during the draw.

1 Like

Mine is finger placement, mainly because I try to place finger on trigger without thinking about it. My thoughts are on target downrange. I’ve worked on it during dry fire practice. It’s gotten better.

3 Likes

I think the biggest things were:

1. realizing that on a smaller grip, I may need to get more of my finger further on the trigger to avoid pushing the gun a little left on the end of the trigger press
  2. that I tend to micro-adjust the grip between shots. When I stopped doing that, my shooting got a lot more consistent… and it was another classmate at the USCCA CC Instructor’s course who caught it and corrected it. (REALLY nice to be paired up with other quality candidates in that course :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: )

For a number of people I’ve seen working dry fire with an empty brass on the barrel really change their shooting and grip improvement is often a big thing.

4 Likes

Finger placement on the trigger. Made all the difference.

2 Likes

I want my finger placement to become habit. I know the stiffer the trigger, the less accurate I become.

2 Likes

So are you saying the index finger of the support hand ends up underneath the middle finger of the strong hand?

1 Like

Correct. My two straight fingers (right hand) ride over the top of the 2nd joint of the index finger (counting from the finger tip). When I complete my grip the support hand (left) is already closed over the bottom two fingers of the right hand and then the middle finger locks the whole thing into place under the trigger guard. It does a very admirable job of isolating the trigger finger for free movement. It may me just my hand size or the fact that due to the beaver tail cuts in the frame my hands sit VERY high on the frame (or the gun sits VERY deep in my hand). I intend to try it on an EAA Witness, Beretta 92F and Ruger MK-II the next time out to see if it is an across the board thing or if it is due to how I built my 1911’s.

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

Thank you for clarifying this. Though impractical, it almost "feels " like getting all 4 support fingers on the grip first would be best, however, I like what you have suggested because as you said:

I’ve got to say I personally feel you contribute a lot more to this community than you get out of it. Thank you for your participation! :+1:

1 Like

Everyone has to start somewhere. When I “grew up” on guns there was no internet so you read magazines and tried stuff. I had the distinct advantage of training with some top shelf “shooters & real gunslingers” and had a doggone near unlimited supply of ammo. If some of my experiences can help someone new then I am good with giving back what your tax dollars paid for. The last 10 years or so I have been immersed in rifles so it’s kind of nice to round out things and refocus across platforms. I have missed much in the pistol world over the past 10 - 15 years.

On the 4 fingers support thing. I have spent decades wrapping 4 support fingers over 3 grip finger I also learned the benefits of forward “floating” thumbs on the off side. When I tried wrapping the 4 support over 2 grip fingers and locking it down with the middle finger on top I “felt” a distinct improvement in my grip lock up. It won’t fix a bad grab but when you hit it correctly it is SUPER solid. The other BIG thing that I noticed was the independent movement of my trigger finger that is something I have struggled with isolating. That said it may just be my modified pistols but in dry fire draw practice with a couple different platforms it seems to be a favorable option across the board.

I have a training event coming up that is going to allow me to play with a bunch of different platforms as well as dynamic shooting scenario’s. I will endeavor to run the two fingers out to test it and will talk with some other “participants” to gauge their take on it. We’ll see.

Cheers,

Craig6

1 Like

Interesting evolution @Craig6. I find my hands fit as you describe, even unto making the grip more sides in - vice trying to “C” clamp the strong hand, fitting the palm of my ‘other strong hand,’ and then working to isolate the trigger. In fact, the trigger finger isolates nicely as you note. This is good on my SIG P226 and should be so with a 229 or 220.

I suspect I still have issues gripping something smallish like a P22 Walther but those little grip guns are a PintheA and I can have FTEs and bottlenecks because of my past grip errors… I’ll see if I can make it work down there though and let folks know.

1 Like

I was tough to shoot right handed from the first time I fired a pistol and a rifle. After 65 years I found out I was left eye dominant.

1 Like

@Craig6 I think I’d love to have a photo of how you’re doing that exactly… any possibility of getting one?
:smiley:

@Zee I will see what I can do. I am not a tech guy but know my phone can do cool stuff including timer shot pics. I will enlist the aid of my youngest son if need be to show me how to use the bloody thing.

Cheers,

Craig6

1 Like