Tucking in shirt iwb tuckable holster

How many people actually tuck in their shirt while wearing an iwb tuckable holster? Advantage or disadvantaged? I’ve read some pro and con about this.

5 Likes

I didn’t know that there was a IWB holster for tucked in shirts. I periodically wear a shirt and tie and just tuck using my existing IWB holster. What’s the difference?

1 Like

Always tuck my shirt, never felt good without tucked shirt.

4 Likes

I do. I’m a deacon at my church, and some events are “jacket and tie” for the deacons. So, tuckable it is. The on,y person who has ever noticed anything, was a fellow deacon, that also carries. He’s also on the security team with me. Oh, and he’s a retired SWAT member. He noticed the clips on the holster over my belt, once I took my jacket off. He knows I always carry, and was looking intently for how I pulled it off when I dressed nice. He knew about tuckable holster, and just wondered which particular one I used.

2 Likes

The picture is fuzzy. It was taken from the balcony, when I was ordained. I’m carrying my .45, a spare 8 round mag, an assisted opening 3.5 inch blade knife, my phone, truck keys, keys to my wife’s car, and wallet.

4 Likes

Tuckable leaves a deep gap between holster body and clips that is deep enough to tuck your shirt over the gun/holster but behind the clips/waistband/belt. That way only the clips are visible, and there’s no bunched up material around the firearm to give it away.
One guy who’s not a fan:

2 Likes

When wearing a jacket in formal dress, I prefer a shoulder holster. I believe it is easier/faster to draw, especially when seated.

5 Likes

Crossbreed is easy enough to find in many retailers or online. Able to have a shirt tucked in effortlessly.

5 Likes

I have a Crossbreed supertuck and tuck on occasion (when I really want to portray I’m not carrying) but prefer to use it untucked.

The main difference (for me) is the draw from tuck. You really need to practice it, because you’re going to really need to clear that shirt (at least I do). I’m much more “aggressive” with my shirt clear when I’m tucked than I am when it’s untucked because I have to pull the shirt not only out of the tuck clips of the holster, but out of my pants/belt.

So when I do tuck, I make sure to minimize the amount of material around the holster and cheat a little on my strong side by not tucking my shirt as deep in my pants as I do on my weakside (or if I wasn’t carrying).

Hope that all makes sense. All that to say if you’re going to tuck…make sure you practice your draw from the tuck and don’t cheat when at the range.

That’s been my experience.

Post Script Edit:
Advantages: really projects that you’re not carrying, don’t have to worry about your firearem showing if you reach up to a shelf or something (although the holster clips are evident to anyone who knows about those things, but undetectable by the average person.

Disadvantages: More complicated draw, potentially slower draw time, increased chance of draw/clothing malfunction…

Which is why I prefer to carry untucked (for me function trumps fashion), but there are times when tucked is more desirable look just make sure you practice. (have I mentioned that yet?)

5 Likes

I have to tuck. I have been using a belly band. I am now considering the Urban Carry. It is a super deep conceal.

3 Likes

Happy Birthday @TexasEskimo!
I do tuck. It’s fine.

3 Likes

I tuck, with a Flashbang Capone. I do wear a size bigger waist and pants when I’ll be tucking my shirt, holster, and pistole in.

1 Like

And Happy Birthday.

3 Likes

@TexasEskimo Happy birthday! Interesting topic on IWB, also. Must suck to wear a suit. A tie is a ready made control point. Gotta be brave to wear one :slight_smile: My IWB carry varies depending on circumstance. Tuck a shirt in over a firearm? Never. Not going to undress to get my dogleg out. It is nice to wear a tucked t-shirt between gun and body with a Polo hanging loose. Got plenty of holey t-shirts from gun wear. Climate does dictate. I take concealed concept to heart so no clips. Loose enough shirt so no printing. No carry at work but never a ready made choke point hanging around my neck.

1 Like

Being retired has privileges, I don’t have to worry about fashion. I don’t have to tuck my shirt in and since I got a CCW I don’t. However if there is some event that I am required to attend and have to have slacks and dress shirt then I switch to an ankle holster. If you have to tuck your weapon and holster fast draw becomes subjective at best. Just how I feel. If I have an added jacket or coat then even a tight OWB at 4 o’clock can work. Even your regular IWB carried closer to the hip pocket will work with a outer garment like a jacket, sweater, coat or vest.

All that being said it is still different strokes for different folks.

I’ve tucked in my t-shirts with my Ituckable IWB Vedder holster with a claw. Nobody has noticed it since both my belt and clip are black. I think the advantage is it would be easier to draw should I ever need to.

1 Like

@TexasEskimo
I’ve picked up a couple of these to work a 239 and a full size. So far I haven’t put in enough time practicing the draw in enough different scenarios to depend on it. I really like the concept. And I can see once that motion and reaction is down pat it would be slick and could be very fast. Certainly good for a rig moving into cover, and not caught in a face off. Yet, I’ve seen a few videos where it’s surprisingly fast watching someone pull - and that novelty of motion may be enough to slow up an opponent in his reactions. I’m not suggesting one of ours make book on that however.

Did you end up getting a rig to test with?

@CHRIS4 Not yet. But I will post a review when I get one. It looks as though a person really needs to practice the draw before using daily.

Back when I wore a uniform many moons ago we were require to wear a “break away” tie simply so you couldn’t be choked in an incident.

1 Like