Travis McMichael found guilty - lessons learned?

We all have been going through rough times and far as I am concern,… still are. I see good intensions here but, good intensions does not always mean it is a good thing to do, You always can learn from other peoples mistakes. USCCA has been a good platform for learning the ins and outs of personal safety and self-defense. I just want to know what we can learn from this situation to prevent ourselves getting the guilty charge.

3 Likes

Very well said.

3 Likes

The best lesson, in my mind, in regards to this case; be a good witness and be familiar with the laws under which you purport to act. There was really no reason for these individuals to pursue the victim or make a citizen arrest under GA law. They had no evidence that he had done anything other than run through the neighborhood. Another lesson, don’t speak to law enforcement without your lawyer.

10 Likes

You’re not a cop; don’t try to act like one.

22 Likes

All summed up in the fewest words. :+1:

3 Likes

Be a good witness. Don’t try to be a vigilante. Most of all, self defense does not equal stuff defense. Even if you came home, and saw someone running out of your house, if they aren’t an immediate threat to human life, just call the cops.

5 Likes

If you see what you believe is suspicious behavior or, you think that you might identify someone engaging in criminal behavior, and you are not a Police Officer, call 911 and be a good witness.

A permit to carry a firearm or, a State law that recognizes a Constitutional Right to be armed is not a Badge. You are not a Police Officer. And yes, there may be “citizens arrest” statutes on the books. But, who would want to be a Police Officer in this Country in these times? Let alone a citizen pretending to have powers of arrest.

Your firearm is there to protect your life and the lives of innocent people. Your firearm isn’t a badge, it isn’t a tool to “correct someone else’s behavior”.

These three clowns deserved the guilty verdict that was handed down.

Stay safe out there.

17 Likes

And remember the requirements to use self defense;

1. Could you escape or avoid the situation?
  2. Did you try to de-escalate the situation?
  3. Were you in immediate danger of your life?
    Just like @Frank73 said, " Your firearm is there to protect your life and the lives of innocent people. Your firearm isn’t a badge, it isn’t a tool to “correct someone else’s behavior”."
15 Likes

Don’t chase someone down and shot them.
Protect lives not stuff.
Don’t bring a friend along to video the chase and shooting.
Don’t think for one minute that your connections inside of the police department can get you out of an un warranted shooting.

5 Likes

Seemed kind of obvious.

3 Likes

But yet, here we are discussing this about people who thought they were doing what is right. Rittenhouse was a question of should he have really been there? Avoidance is one of the steps in self-defense but, he was not looking for trouble, he was looking to help and protect but so was Travis McMichael. The details are in one was just defending his self. Just remember,… be safe! train!

1 Like

If they really thought he was doing something wrong they should’ve called the Police, period. It’s not like he saw the two men and shot at them or even flashed a gun at them. This was just bad.

3 Likes

The Rittenhouse case and this are not even comparable. Kyle was in Kenosha because he worked there, his dad also lives there but is not of relevance to the case. He worked there as a lifeguard and stayed the night with his friend because of the riots starting. He was then helping to protect a business from looters and people hellbent on burning businesses down. Crucially, when the SHTF he was doing everything he could to remove himself from the situation but was chased down and forced to defend himself. The McMichaels, on the other hand, chased down and ultimately killed someone they had no evidence of doing anything wrong. In that case, based on comments and actions in court, I can’t help but believe it was, at least partially, racially motivated.

7 Likes

Observe and report. If you feel the need to follow do it at a safe distance. Stolen stuff at a home that isnt your own isnt worth killing over. Let the cops handle this sort of stuff.

2 Likes

There was no immediate threat to life as he ran through the neighborhood. The three perps that pursued were looking to lynch someone, and it was NOT their job. Follow discretely and call 911. No need to chase him down like some type of game.

1 Like

Apologies in advance to Red Necks, fatties, and the well intended.

But I don’t see any good intentions here. What I saw was a group of fat little white boy red neck racists that decided it was a good idea to be the police, judge, jury and executioner.

They will not fare well in prison, which is where they belong.

2 Likes

Todd30

You said Travis McMicheal was just intending to do right, (protect his neighborhood)?
The owner of the house under construction had cameras that recorded dozens of people coming and going, some of whom left with lumber. Why is it that Travis & company chased the only black man recorded going into the house and not any of the white people who actually did steal something (lumber)?
Citizen’s arrest didn’t hold up in court because they admitted to not witnessing a felony being committed and also because they failed to inform the responding officers that it was a citizens arrest. In fact, it wasn’t until 2 months after the lynching when they were finally arrested that their attorney first mentioned “citizens arrest”

1 Like

Re-learned that avoidance (through awareness and decisions), deescalation, and disengagement continue to be the real winning actions.

Or, as Kevin has said…it’s self defense, not stuff defense.

Can’t imagine how this passes anybody’s “shark tank” test

OH, I know what they did was wrong but, what I am saying is THEY thought they were doing something right. This is a common action that is taken by some people, that they were at the time thinking it was what they should do and then they are actually surprised that they are actually the BAD guy and what they did was wrong! Just like in self-defense situations, if you do not meet the requirements of actions to prevent having to use deadly force than you are guilty of murder even though you did think you were in the right!

That three guys in pickup trucks with guns chasing one unarmed guy on foot easily blows holes in McMichael’s self defense narrative.