Traveling to Colorado Littleton

Update vacation time: So I’m just planning on getting some time off from my restaurant job think God and I will be actually traveling to Colorado Littleton with my mom and my sister to visit my grandmother next month coming up soon! I know for a fact I can’t carry my firearm down though different states so I think my only option is to carry Pepper Spray as a Non lethal option! I’m going for 5 days! About 15 hours in my car :red_car: :smiley: what other suggestions do u have available any suggestions would be appreciated I have a lot of gas stations to stop at along the way

1 Like

What is your state of residence and do you have a carry permit from that state, or any other states?

3 Likes

Yes just Illinois State

1 Like

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/il-gun-laws/

Check reciprocity there, and then click on Colorado and read the “carry in a vehicle” section.

You are incorrect in your statement that you cannot carry a firearm in different states.

29 states are permitless carry, you don’t need a permit at all, and many states recognize permits from other states as well.

4 Likes

Thank you for the advice. I’ll look into it

1 Like

Colorado will not recognize your Illinois carry permit.

However, we are an open carry state. Just make sure to pay attention to “no weapons allowed “ signs. And make sure that your weapon is 100% visible, (meaning no garments covering any part of the gun or holster)

Definitely do your due diligence for any other states you’re going to be crossing, as well as verifying my own comments for your self!

3 Likes

Yes I do completely understand :blush: I’m just going to carry pepper spray I wish I could open Carry in Illinois like other states, Illinois laws really suck

1 Like

Consider items that don’t look like a weapon. I carry a Zebra ball point pen model F-701. it is a straight forward ball point pen. No tactical teeth on it. It is a solid metal pen and with the ball point extended it can make a solid piercing instrument in soft tissue. AT 87 y.o., I am no Jason Bourne, but a poke in the eye with a sharp pen can be very persuasive. There are kubotan key holders that make an effective striking instrument. If you are traveling in your private vehicle, make sure you have some tools in your trunk. If you wrap various tools in tool wrap, on the rear floorboards of your vehicle, it appears innocuous. The philips screwdriver has long been. A ten-inch crescent wrench makes an impressive impact weapon and combined with an 8-inch and a 6-inch makes an innocent tool set. The reason it is on the floor boards behind the driver’s seat is so you don’t have to dig through all the stuff in your trunk if you have that recurring fuel pump problem which no one seems to be able to fix. Make sure you have a plausible excuse for whatever non-weapon weapon you have. Not under the front seat, whatever you do. Keep you driver’s license in your shirt pocket in a holder so that you don’t have to open the glove compartment (does anybody ever keep gloves there?) to get your documents. It’s always embarrassing when the smiley falls out when you go to get your registration. Keep your registration and insurance information in a wallet above your sun visor. You can put it on the dash when you have the visor down and back up above the visor when you park. Make sure it is out of sight.
Kimber sells a powered OC spray that looks like a little plastic gun. It fires 2 shots reportedly to 30 feet. That is handy to have in the door compartment of the driver’s door. Be careful with knives. There are several states that allow individual cities to have their own ordinances regarding knives. There is a national knife association whose exact name escapes me right now that has a list of the knife laws in all the states. Some might amaze and astound you. While the knife law in CA talks about a dirk or dagger, various court holding have enlarged that very limited prohibition to include just about any sharp pointy object that will make penetration wounds. The CA legislature has a phobia about ninja weapons. Every ninja weapon that ever appeared in a samurai movie is illegal in CA, including some some you never heard of, like a shobi-zoe. I thought I was fairly conversant with ninja weapons as I am a big fan of Japanese samurai movies but that was a new one on me. Look it up. Hope this post has been helpful.

3 Likes

That should read "The philips screwdriver has long been a favorite of miscreants, It’s late. I must be sleepy.

3 Likes

I have both CA resident and UT nonresident permits.
I had my pistol loaded and IWB the whole road trip.
CA-NV-UT-CO

I once left the car to go to some stores and was carrying concealed the whole time. Halfway through, I realized my mistake. It was a learning experience for me. I did not open carry to be legal.

3 Likes

Pepper spray is always a good idea whether you are carrying a firearm or not. I prefer the gel variety. Less chance of having it impact yourself, especially on windy days. I always have a pocket knife on me. Though some states have more restrictive knife laws than they do gun laws so check local laws for those as well. A sturdy pen is legal everywhere and a useful self defense tool.

You would have to review the various state laws but it may be legal to have a firearm unloaded and locked in a case while traveling. Then if local laws allow you would be able to have it available in your hotel room. Just check on places where that might not be allowed, such as Post Offices. I think CO also has a 15 round limit on magazine capacity, so that might or might not limit your options.

I do a lot of driving on Forest Service roads so I keep a bowsaw and machete in the back of my vehicles for clearing brush that occasionally blocks the road as well as for gathering downed wood for campfires. The machete is considered an agricultural tool in most places so is usually legal to have. Though some localities and LEOs might give you a hassle if it is easily accessible from the drivers seat. They make for a very effective and easy to use improvised weapon when needed.

2 Likes

Thank you for the advice. I have a few weeks before we go I will be definitely carrying pepper spray. I’m going to see what my options are in each state I will be traveling to, thank you so much for the help I do have a 3 inch survival knife on hand 90% of the time ESSE knives

2 Likes

I also have a Swap Rat 3 inch knife :hocho: but It doesn’t have a good sheath to hold it in place I wish I had some discreet Carry concept clips :paperclip: sheath to use

2 Likes

Some states are funny about fixed blade knives others about folders. 3” lengths are often but not always legal depending on the State, County or city you are in. I’ve heard that ESSE makes some very nice knives. I think they also make a machete but it is on the short side and pricey.

I really like the 18” Ontario Jungle machete. They are super sturdy and only $30-$40. Unfortunately I heard the company went out of business and they are getting hard to find. Tramontina makes really cheap (usually under $20) and light but well built machetes in a variety of sizes. The blades often don’t come very sharp from the factory but a few minutes with a file fixes that.

1 Like

Good to know

Just for a point of reference, I also carry around a bag full of medical supplies for my EDC in my car with me at all times

4 Likes

That is something a lot of folks don’t put high enough on the priority list. The odds of needing medical supplies on the road are significantly higher than needing a firearm.

3 Likes

Very true, I’ve needed medical supplies a handful of times! (Didn’t have them, but definitely could’ve used them!)

To date have not needed my firearm, hopefully it stays that way!

However, there have been dozens, if not hundreds of times where I’ve needed a good knife! (Aside from eating)

3 Likes

Yes I understand that plus I’m going to double check my car for maintenance needs and get a oil change :pray: for Traveling 15 hours to Colorado July 10 to 15th

3 Likes

I’m also thinking about getting a bulletproof everyone hoodie I just watched a YouTube video from Garand Thumb :+1: is it worth the investment and how much does it cover the body

1 Like