Trauma Kits. The life you save may be your own

The package of Quikclot I have says nothing about shellfish on it, and I’ve never been warned at work about its use on people with shellfish allergies. I’ll have to look into it.

We’ve used it on gunshot victims who will be needing surgery regardless. Not every case is life or death, but we use it as an opportunity to use it as a training situation. “Hey, lets try the Quikclot” Better than using a mannequin.

3 Likes

I carry a JFAK In my truck and with me when hunting. Side note: the IFAK is now obsolete and no longer used. Fortunately, for me, I have an unlimited supply, don’t ask, read my bio. Not much you can’t do with one of them. I also carry a chest decompression needle with it. This should cover everything you need until EMT’s/Paramedics arrive. Everything else to me, is just gravy.

2 Likes

Also, the expiration on the compression bandages are not for any reason other than that’s as long as the company guarantees it being sterile. From what I understand, they have put a date on them per the feds. There’s no clotting agent in them like there is in the Quikclot that’s going to break down.

If someone has one in a package that hasn’t been opened and is still vacuum sealed, I wouldn’t worry too much about the dates on those.

Just to clarify, I’m talking about the trauma compression dressings (Israeli bandages), not the Quikclot.

3 Likes

Yeah, and honestly those compression bandages being less than lab sterile are the least of your problems if you have to use one en route to a hospital. At least in my opinion.

3 Likes

Absolutely. I looked up the Quikclot. It said no animal proteins are used in the clotting agent and specifically mentioned no shellfish. It also stated that there is a very low chance of adverse allergic reaction from its use.

3 Likes

You guys are awesome! Great suggestions and fabulous interactions! #soproud! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yeah, Quickclot doesn’t make it with shell fish anymore, but there might be a knockoff brand that does.

3 Likes

Thanks Kerryman for this thread. I think everyone who carries a gun should have a trauma kit close, especially at the range. Bad things can happen to good people. When I retired from the Army, I decided my next job was attending courses that interested me while using up my post 9/11 GI bill.

One of the schools I attended was a 3 month course to get the EMT basic. When I finished that, I got serious about building my own IFAC and I now carry it everywhere as part of my EDC backpack that is always in the vehicle wherever I am.

6 Likes

I have a trauma kit in my jeep, but am considering adding a tourniquet.

3 Likes

It’s a definite must. Get two CAT tourniquets for leg wounds.

3 Likes

@James @Kerryman71 (and everyone else) what do you think of something like a STOMP Kit?

it’s too big for EDC, but I’ve been thinking about getting one for my truck.

1 Like

I mean it looks nice. You could build one for cheaper, but you get the bags and everything all in one shot except for the CAT tourniquets, so you don’t have 80 individual orders at Amazon. Idk I carry something smaller with less options, but I tailored it for getting to a hospital after a GSW or a chainsaw accident.

2 Likes

I did a bit of theoretical shopping a while back and couldn’t get the price a lot lower by buying components but there are a few things I want that aren’t in there. Haven’t decided yet. And I still need a small kit too.

2 Likes

I think the bags definitely are expensive. But they do look nice.

2 Likes

I’ve been carrying an SFD Frog Pro on my ankle for well over a year. In it is QuikClot, a SWAT-T, a rescue cutter from Benchmade, gloves and a back-up flashlight. I don’t even know it’s there!

I always carry a basic IFAK but also have a full blown crash bag in the truck which gives me the ability to deal with a mass casualty event should one ever occur.

If you carry nothing else you should at least carry at least a tourniquet, pressure bandages (at least 2), chest seals (at least 2) and some trauma shears.

1 Like

As instructors I think we have a duty to have a complete trauma kit in addition to a basic IFAK “just in case” and to have enough basic and advanced First Aid Training to be prepared in case of emergency.

Carrying a gun responsibly and being willing to use it if necessary is only half the equation.

3 Likes

Yep, I agree. Got the full stomp kit about a month ago, still adding some items to it. Once I get it fully stocked, I’ll get some photos up here.

3 Likes

I’d recommend simply having extra pressure bandages, chest seals, and tourniquets and maybe some curlex/vet wrap to help secure them if necessary.

I also keep some 24" nylon tie downs in mine which could be used as a cheap field expedient tourniquet or to apply additional direct pressure to a pressure dressing if needed.

3 Likes

:grin: that’s what I’m adding :grin: along with additional clotting gauze, more simple gauze pads, and more gloves.

I’ll probably add a separate pouch for the booboo kit things: a tube or two of antibiotic ointment, cortisone cream, manuka honey, bandaids, and moleskin, sunscreen, lip balm.

Maybe another pouch with sugar, electrolytes, and a few OTCs like benadryl, aspirin, advil, an anti-diarrheal, pepto, tums.

3 Likes