Transporting/carry on indian reservations

This is probably more of a rhetorical comment than a question, but I live in Arizona and traveling around the southwest without crossing numerous indian reservations is impossible and frustrating while carrying! We are planning a trip (with a travel trailer) next week from Arizona to New Mexico, through Colorado, Wyoming, South Dakota and Utah. My Arizona CCW is recognized in each of the states we will be in, but not on the indian reservations. I don’t necessarily intend to carry on my person all the time, but I do like the comfort of having it in my trailer in the event we get stranded along the way. I probably won’t take it because of the problems of the reservations. To contact each reservation for permission is just too much trouble. I wish our CCWs were controlled by the State only, regardless.

5 Likes

Welcome aboard AZ! Good question. One we never thought about, and we live half a mile from a reservation border! Hmmm…

2 Likes

Welcome to the family AZ and god bless you.

Good morning @AZArches. I can only speak for the Menominee Indian Reservation in Wisconsin where I worked for 6 1/2 years as a Corrections Officer so I worked closely with Tribal and County LEOs. Menominee Co. has a Sheriffs Dept. also because it has a small White population living on the Rez. They sold a small portion of their land back to the White man along a lake.
If you are traveling through the Rez you may have your firearms in your vehicle, if you stop and get out it must be secured and you cannot carry on tribal lands but it is permissible to transport. I have never heard different for other reservations. Federal money is used to build main highways so any American has free travel.
Tribal Police cannot arrest Non-Whites, you can be detained if you commit a crime, the County authority or the FBI will get involved.
So drive sensibly, secure your firearms, and do not break the law and you should be good to go
passing through the Rez. Enjoy your trip. Stay safe, Bruce and Nancy.

5 Likes

It might vary from state to state. Here in MT you can carry on tribal lands following state law. This question has come up quite a bit locally.

2 Likes

That is an interesting question.

I would hazard a guess that while on public roads, you would be fine.

USCCA provides laws and reciprocity for all the states, perhaps a suggestion they include an addendum or appendix that covers the Reservations, or at least the larger ones.

1 Like

Two years ago, I went to Arches in UT and on the way back, got curious and made a stop at Four Corners Monument before proceeding to the Grand Canyon.
My permit doesn’t include CO and NM so before I crossed the border leaving UT, I locked my piece.

2 Likes

This will get complicated. There’s a patchwork of different laws and support agreements between tribes and states.

But at some point, you just have to shrug it off. As I used to tell my non-tribal students when they got jealous of their tribal peers, if you don’t like the terms of the treaty, you can always give them back their land.

2 Likes

National reciprocity would sure solve a lot of problems wouldn’t it?

2 Likes

Since the Tribal lands are technically sovereign nations, US National reciprocity wouldn’t solve this issue.

4 Likes