To Open Carry OR Conceal Carry

I carry concealed when I’m out in public, you never know if you’ll trigger someone. When I’m alone, or in the field,I carry with outside holster. Besides, you have to what’s best. I wouldn’t want to carry a Smith and Wesson model 686 , 4 inch barrel, concealed carry! I think you get the idea! With concealed YOU have the advantage so no one will try to pull your weapon from you. Good Luck!

2 Likes

Same here.No use being bate.

1 Like

Just HAD to look at this thread again.
I think the biggest reasons I do not open carry in public are:
*gun grabbers
*to make em guess - surprise factor
*less snagging gun or holster on anything. If its concealed on me, it’s not grabbing shelf corners in a store etc.

Now, someone said “you might ‘trigger’ someone.” So? I’m so uncomfortable with being unarmed it triggers ME. If i had to open carry or not carry, then open it would be. Since that’s not the case, its concealed.

A drop leg holster sometimes during hunting seasons, when/where allowed by DNR, i do in case of critters I’m not hunting…

4 Likes

Wow…I’m going to be in the minority here. Well, let me explain. I was born and raised under apartheid in South Africa; basically, I grew up in a war-zone until I was eighteen when I immigrated to this country in 1993. My experience growing up in a war-zone (18-yrs) has illustrated to me that it really doesn’t matter OC/CC: what really matters is situation awareness (this is extremely important). I mean you gotta be really keyed-in, tuned-in, and not ‘dropped-out.’ I’ve been in many violent situations and thankfully survived all of them; not because I was smart or Superman, but because I was aware of my surroundings. So I OC everywhere. I like to also remind people of the right to do so.

Cheers,
Dr. C.

13 Likes

And thank you for you story! I bet at times you were really freaked out, i know i would be! And its ok to be the minority here ! This should be in my opinion a place were we can share our personal experiences and stories close to us without any kind of backlash etc! I have no right to talk im not you…you are… So its all good Home Team! But man what a crazy experiance. Well im glad your here! Nice meeting you and hope to hear more ! J.Wood Sr…

4 Likes

Thank you for your kind words. Certainly is a different way of growing up. One lives with an adrenaline rush most of the time and it becomes very normal. I can say the first time I let my guard down was in this country. I’ve some battle wounds from my younger days and I’m reminded everyday that life is very precious and can be stolen in no time thus I love an easy going life. And I also love shooting for sport so it seems I’m in the right company here as a new member! Hope you’re keeping safe and healthy in these “beer” times…

5 Likes

@Dr_C_Sipho
Welcome and thanks for sharing!!

I hope those who need to listen about situational awareness pay attention to that post.

Glad to have you here :slight_smile:
Take care,

4 Likes

We are happy to have you here, your Deffinitly in the right place!

1 Like

Welcome to the community :slight_smile: As a woman, I can relate to being in the minority in this community, but it seems to be full of kind, engaging people from all walks of life, and I enjoy something about it every day.

6 Likes

I carry concealed, however there’s been a couple times when I’ve carried open when out and about. I was headed to meet a friend while I was open carrying, but decided to stop to get to gas first, when I was in the station the clerk stood back from the register as far as possible and was calling me Sir the whole time. I don’t know who was more uncomfortable me or him.

2 Likes

It is interesting when a person does open carry how people are usually so eager and happy to help you and so very nice. Its a shame it takes wearing a gun to get great customer service !

5 Likes

I have open carried in the past, just for a few months prior to rethinking the whole thing. On one occasion I was wearing my tight black thermal top, edc of flashlight, mag, multi-tool, and of course the 9 on the other side… I was in a convenience store getting my giant go to Diet Dr. Pepper to keep me awake for the long drive home and the dude behind me said “Thanks for your service” and paid for my pop. I never told him I was LE, but at the same time, made him feel good by thanking him upon leaving.

I’m pretty sure that was that last time I OC’d.

1 Like

I remembered this post just yesterday afternoon while at a market we dont typically use for groceries, but went in pretty much just to try a different place…

I was pushing the buggy back to where I’d left my wife on the other side of this market, and as I’m passing part of the meat section, I see a very big dude leaning against the counter, who was open carrying what looked to be a polymer pistol the same size as my 1911. I didnt try to identify it. What I saw was:
Gun. Black polymer. Full size. Snap top OC holster.

Dude was not aware of me as I was of him, yet I was CC’ing three guns.
Condition White anyone??

We all, I think, need to remember that how we exercise our 2nd Amendment rights in public is an enormous exercise of our 1st amendment right as well.

That’s all. Ya all take care

2 Likes

Mostly I OC, I really want to be comfortable and digging into my pants costs me time; I’m faster with OC. As for the looks, cops being called on me, respect I get with some, I just take it all. Definitely not going to stop exercising my rights.

2 Likes

Sure, definitely exercising your rights is a good thing. You go for it.
As for me, I strive to be a “gray man” and draw zero attention to myself for any reason, without looking like an easy target.
Just sayin, I hear ya, and don’t think anyone can really say if CC or OC is right for another individual, as it would contradict the definition of the word “individual.”
Take it easy & God Bless,

3 Likes

Only issue…

Connery a better choice over Craig…

I CC 99.9% of the time (oc when out and about in the toolies). Why? Same reason I never wore an FD uniform off duty out in public. If you have the misfortune of being in the local stop n rob when something bad goes down the uniform made you the priority target. Bad guy is not going to take the time to read shoulder patch first. Feel the same about OC, it just make you the primary target, something I’d rather not be.

1 Like