Deep conceal or easy access?

For me the ability to carry more or less undetected is pretty important. I am willing to take a moment longer getting my weapon into action if it means people are unlikely to suspect I have a weapon. Because of that my choices are limited. Most full sized weapons print to some degree. Very few 1911s can be concealed on my person unless it is cool weather and a heavy jacket or vest is usable.
In the summer a single stack compact is about as big of a gun as I can carry. I have even tried those Opossum carry holsters for both a weapon and a magazine. For me they conceal well if you are standing but can be uncomfortable sitting while driving or even for dinner. The draw seems overly complicated or awkward.
What is important to others?

2 Likes

Like you, activity, destination, time of year, travel time, and clothing all determine which CCW I go with on any given day. Easy access is always preferable, but I feel staying concealed is crucial

1 Like

Glock 43 in a Vedder pocket holster works great for me. I live where cargo shorts and tee shirts are the norm. I am old, large, and frequently seated.

3 Likes

I’m pretty lucky with my body type I guess. I carry an P320C everyday. I have to dress business casual for work which usually means a polo and khakis. For me it’s all about holster selection. It’s obviously got to be tuckable and I’ve had great luck with black point tactical and Vedder holsters. I do not “bury” the gun per say into my belt line cause if I ever need it I’ll never be able to get a decent purchase and draw effectively. I put a lot of effort into holster selection and getting the right fit and cant if needed to make sure it doesn’t print and remains accessible. Like I said though, I’m lucky. I have a set of conceal carry love handles that aid in the process. I have found that as one advantage of the “dad bod”.

1 Like

Some good suggestions. Some would work better than others for me. The last few years I have started to look more like my cousins Pillsberry and Michelin.
@P365 most of the possum holsters I have seen and the one I had have their own belt that held the pouch under the front of the pants. Part of the charm, according to the commercial, was people don’t tend to look very hard at men’s crotch area. Like I said the one I had was fine with a small gun to a compact. It wasn’t so good with a mid-sized seated. Quick access was a bit of a problem as well.

I will have to reconsider a pocket pistol I guess though. In California I used to live in Cargo Shorts and Cargo Pants. Still like I said in Levis or casual pants I tend to spend a lot of time getting the IWB holster just right so the weapon doesn’t print and yet I can still reach and retrieve it in a reasonable amount of time. My IWB holsters sit rather low with the grip of the weapon “just” above the belt. I guess it is a phobia of mine because I check myself out walking by store windows just to be sure.

I will look into some of the new tactical pants as an option.

1 Like

IWB is always a good option, even for larger handguns, revolver or semiautomatic, and many are tuckable so you can tuck the shirt in… but the IWB or even an OWB holster with a shirt that is not tucked conceals well, even in summer, a short sleeve shirt untucked does work well…
And as we age and get a little heavier… it is just as easy to wear untucked…
But you might notice, if you carry, you may see others conceal carry or open carry… but most others do not even notice people who open carry, or at least in my area they simply do not care… we tend to have a lot of people who carry.

If you are going out to a semi formal or formal event, you might want to consider a small .380 or compact 9mm which is easier to conceal for those events.

1 Like

Both are important but for me,gaining quick access to my firearm surpasses total concealment.If the situation ever arises I want to be confident to go for my weapon knowing it is readily available.a split second could determine who sees the next sunrise,I intend for it to be me!!!

2 Likes

Depends on the situation & circumstances… I prefer deep concealment to avoid unwanted attention. While I was out today, I imagined a :earth_americas: where everyone had to open carry… :thinking:

3 Likes

@rudeboy
I can see your point. Maybe it is my experience talking to so many officers over the years involved in gun fights. To be honest there are far more of them than my non LEO friends having to use their weapons sometime in their life. Even so I have seen surveys saying that only between 27 and 30 percent of officers have ever had to shoot or point their weapon in the direction of another person. Of the ones I have counseled with most indicate the suspect already had the weapon out, now and then they were still reaching for a weapon, Some of course were not guns.

I have only had training at one range that allowed holstered draw and fire. That was a OWB on a leather belt, In that case I was not able to clear a holster and hit the target before the man next to me shooting from low ready hit the target. I am sure that I wouldn’t get a chance with a IWB. But then I am old and slow. Understand I am not disagreeing with your reasoning.

@DLVick38
The first defensive shooting course I took the instructor said people that look like a threat are watched more closely than those that aren’t. He asked if we watched some people more closely than others. If so then don’t be the one someone gives a second look to. The goal should be to draw and aim before they realize you are a threat. I don’t know if he was right or not but I have leaned that way for quite a few years.

3 Likes

Agreed. A combination of a small pistol and a good pocket holster allows you to carry easily without worry of revealing your firearm or printing. You give up some speed on the draw and usually some stopping power. But we each have to find the balance that works for our situation.

2 Likes

Much like the previous posts, I have an IWB holster a Fobus paddle holster & a pocket holster so whatever & wherever I am going or wearing I choose the best option

2 Likes

I am a big fan of the Fobus holsters. Not the best for concealment, but a very good OWB holster that seems to be very well made. I also like the fact that it is very easy to take off and put on. My Crossbread is my primary but I do like Fobus products.

1 Like

What like about pocket holsters is that when your Spidey senses kick in you can have your pistol casually in hand, hidden in a pocket.
I find the “tab” on a Bianchi 152 really speeds up the draw.
IMHO, what slows down the presentation is first having to put you hand inside your pocket.

3 Likes

I use talon wallet holsters for my 380 and 45 shield… put them in the back pocket of my jeans and they both look like a wallet. I use a minimalist style wallet in my front pocket. So doesn’t look like a wallet in front pocket but back pocket is the magic pocket .

ditto to that. The gun sits high enough for an untucked shirt to cover it & the pistol fits snug.

1 Like

I like the P-365. It fits comfortably in my front pocket without printing. It even conceals well in my pocket when my shirt is tucked in.
I am older and have shot and carried MANY years. With arthritis and severe back issues I am not able to run away or survive any physical confrontation. Because of this pay extra attention to my environment (situational awareness) and avoid anyplace that makes me feel uncomfortable to begin with. Pocket carry has a “slower” draw as pointed out earlier, however it can also be “faster” as you can grip your weapon while it is still concealed in your pocket. A “surprise” attack would be the exception for a waist band style of carry… but also the threat of someone snatching the weapon from behind. There are exceptions to every rule.
Train with what you carry and stay situationally aware.

1 Like

Just started recently, but I found comfort a bigger factor than concealment, and helps to ensure I always carry. Normally I’m appendix IWB, but in case things get cramped around my stomach I have a shoulder rig too. It helps with comfort to detach the weapon light sometimes, so having a QD latch and holsters that accommodate the light are important to me.

Generally I keep an extra mag, sometimes two. I found that heavy outer coats can pretty easily conceal a 33-round mag. On holy days, I wear concealable armor under my shirt.

For my non-lethal option, I clip a pepper spray outside my pocket. It’s more comfortable, and it is not as intimidating as open carrying my firearm.