Tisas 1911 FTF troubleshooting

@Scoutbob , I bought a cheap Springfield EMP 1911 a couple years ago that had a similar problem. I returned it to Springfield under warranty. They recut and polished the feed ramp (turning a fully supported chamber into an unsupported one), returned it and said it was good, it was not!

I watched many videos including the one you embedded and initially adjusted the extractor looser. The problem got worse. I then gradually tighened and tested it until it never misfed. I don’t keep up with round counts like apparently many do, but I will say it has 1,000s of rounds with no misfeeds nor additional extractor adjustment.

The misfeed the Springfield was experiencing was a nose dive straight into the feed ramp. It occured with multiple brands and designs of hollow-points. It never had a hic-up with FMJ except when I loosened the tension.

BTW, with a retail price near $1,200, I did not consider it a cheap 1911, but did expect more satisfaction from the manufacturer.

Edit: I should have noted the 1,000s of rounds include at least 3, maybe 4 different hollow point designs, Barnes TAC-XPD, Sig V-Crown, Hornady Critical Defense for sure, but I think Critical Duty as well.

4 Likes