Throwback Pocket Dump: What was your first knife?

I had one back in Europe with some other fancy tools. I had never found the knife useful but I had been using traveler screwdriver set (they don’t have it anymore for sale).

3 Likes

That Opinel is a great knife. I have one and use it for general knifing work. It’s an old design going back several hundred years and is just as sturdy today as ever.

3 Likes

@David38 I can see why the design has lasted the lock is a perfect example of “Keep It Simple”. The carbon blade held a good edge while doing everything I asked from cleaning fish/game, grafting tree cuttings, and as you say “general knifing”.

2 Likes

I have a Boy Scout knife, from not to long after the Boy Scouts were founded, that I am saving to either pass down to my daughter or if I am alive long enough a grandson.

3 Likes

Exactly :unamused: Definitely not handy.

2 Likes

My first pocket knife was a Master Mix pocket knife. My aunt and uncle owned a small grain elevator and I would spend my vacation at the elevator helping them out(mostly getting in their way) and they would give a pocket knife with Master Mix on the handle and some school supplies.

1 Like

I got a Davy Crockett pocket knife for my 7th birthday. I thought I was somebody.

1 Like

I’m just the right age that when I went to buy my first knife, Paul Hogan told me it was no knife.

3 Likes

A Boy Scout knife

1 Like

A Cub Scout knife with blue handles, made by Camillus. I was 5 and the knife was purchased at Gottschalk’s Department Store on Fulton St. in Fresno, CA in '58 or '59 (sorry I don’t remember the exact year!)

1 Like

I had a Davy Crockett pocket knife with a picture of Fess Parker in a coonskin hat on it.

1 Like

My first knife was a Barlow from my dad. Yep I had a Swiss army knife. Not easy to use but man it was really cool (tweezers, toothpick, saw, scissors) my brother brought it back from Europe as a present.

2 Likes