Throwback Pocket Dump: What was your first knife?

My boys are in the trades (electrician and welder) and both always have a knife on them for work. They’ve come to carry knives all of the time. I remember the first knives they ever owned - they got them as Christmas presents and were similar to swiss army knives. Now they just carry a folding blade and find it easier to use.

What was your first pocket knife?

Don’t remember your first knife? Please share what knife you’d give as a gift.

My first knife was from a vacation we took when I was about 6, it looks something like this… I still have it somewhere.

5 Likes

My first hubby gave me a little brushed stainless single blade Gerber folder. Carried that thing everywhere for years. :blush:

5 Likes

When I was about 7, I got a Davy Crockett 2 blade pocket knife. Thought I was way cool.

5 Likes

Old timer 3 blade folding knife I got for Christmas as a teen.

5 Likes

8 years old, got a Buck 112. 33 years later, I still have it. It needs a new blade, but, it will still hold an edge. Since Buck still makes it, that the knife I would gift. Especially the new switchblade version.

6 Likes

I was 9, maybe 10 and was given penknife, old style, very similar to this one:
penknife
Two blades.
Me and my friends used it to play different games (usually it was throwing to the circle on the ground from 10 - 15 yards.)

5 Likes

My first was a Gerber still carry a Gerber😁

4 Likes

My grandfather gave me a Barlow when I was 5 years old (I wish I still had it) 55 years ago and I have been cutting myself ever since :grinning: LOL.

6 Likes

Schrade Sharp Finger
Legendary Old Timer 152OT Sharpfinger Knife
Brilliant, small but large enough and an easy carry.
Reminds me, I should get one for my current collection. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

A Case XX two blade folder for my 10th birthday.

3 Likes

BSA Cub Scout 2 blade. One with a Sheep’s foot blade the other with a flat blade screwdriver and a brass ring lanyard on the rear. Cub Scout blue scales with the Cub Scout Bear logo embossed into them. Somewhere in the attic I still have it.

Cheers,

Craig6

4 Likes

Mine was a Barlow folder. I have a nasty scar on my right index finger from it closing on my finger.

6 Likes

My grandfather “loaned” me his knife (in case Mom didn’t approve :slight_smile: ) I still have it although the blade is not as shiny as the one in the photo anymore.

3 Likes

Ya know… now that I’m thinking about this I think my mom gave me a swiss army knife when I was 13 or so… never loved it, found it difficult to use, not sharp, the scissors wouldn’t cut anything other than threads in your shirt, and I think it sat in my jewelry box instead of being useful.

2 Likes

My uncle gave me both a folding buck ranger, and a fixed buck ranger as we went camping and fishing all the time since I was 7.

1 Like

I had so many carry knifes as a teen it was unreal. One was for working in the tobacco field topping the stuff. Had another for other framework. Then one I carried everyday.

1 Like

My first knife was a 1" keychain knife that my 4th grade teacher confiscated and never gave back. My parents gave it to me but it had no special meaning or value… just something they didn’t want or use.

My first purchased knife was a SOG Paratool (about 25 years ago) which I sometimes use today as a backup to my other MT’s. I purchased it because I needed to cut large and thick cardboard containers at my work (and I was limited on tools for my hobbies). It took me about two days to learn that a .99 cent box cutter worked 100 times better… and that was my second knife.

1 Like

Exactly, the same. Barlow pocket knife with a nasty scar on right index finger. Had a very snappy close. Used to play mumblety-peg with it and one day was careless and it got me. Cut down to the bone from nail bed to right index proximal knuckle.

That knife taught me so many things and really got me into collecting blades, some of the items in my collection are just that blades, no handles but they are so beautifulIy made. I tried my hand at making knives from premade packs and did ok but when I tried to do from raw materials I realized I just didn’t have the resources I needed to do that. I have an entire room in my houses dedicated to my knife collection.

2 Likes

Boy Scout 2 blade folder which I received as the winner of the Cub Scout Pine Wood Derby (so about ten years old) . Only took me two weeks to cut myself with it and receive three stiches (the first of many to come).

3 Likes

At one point I had a Swiss Army knife and remember thinking it should be easier to use than it was.

Did you ever have a Swiss Army knife?

2 Likes