A Pocket Companion

Will we ever see a truly practical pocketknife, without all the cutesy-fartsy tools you can jam into it? I want a main blade, bottle opener, claw-type can opener, and a mini-saw. The only tool that belongs on the back is an awl - you use the knife as a t-handle to drill/punch holes. Most of us don’t ski, or tote wine along on trips. Scissors, toothpicks, and tweezers get broken or lost over time. Shrade’s “Uncle Henry” utility pattern is close - it’s a heavy folder with meaty Staglon scales, and a sturdy shackle for a belt lanyard. I hoped to see one from Cold Steel, but no dice. By the way, look at their “Lite” series of knives - their “Pendleton” and “Canadian Belt Knife” are bargains in “using” knives. Form follows function - Kurt

2 Likes

make one…I’ll buy it!

3 Likes

Yea I can’t think of a single time I’ve had to use my wine opener on my Swiss pocket knife.

3 Likes

Yeah useless on those screw off caps & the boxes

3 Likes

I got the Canadian Belt Knife as a spiff for purchasing an assortment of goods from Cold Steel. It’s like my utility box knives except, more ‘dignified.’ Also does a good job of spreading sandwich condiments! I like the handle, offers a good grip. I’d never recommend using the knife for prying anything though, I’d be worried the blade doesn’t have much tang if any.

You know, not often is the full Swiss Army line carried, but I thought I remember seeing a tool very much made to your order… at least a decade or more ago. Good luck finding what you need. I’ll have to take a look at the CS Pendleton, thx!

1 Like

I have.
Plenty of times.
They work well.
So do those #2 phillips.
Those tweezers have pulled many a splinter out of my hide,
SAKs rock, however if you want to build sandwiches, a No.8 Opinel does a great job on crusty French bread, Dry Jack cheese and Salami,

2 Likes

Take a look at the SAK Camper

1 Like

I’ve used most of the tools you’re talking about. Just never the cork screw

1 Like

I used to be into mini saws… but once I tried it I always went to a bigger saw or pruning shears… or just broke the branches with my hands, knees, or feet.

That being said, the Vic OHT might be right up your alley. They come in different versions (mine has no serrations, and includes the toothpick and tweezers but I don’t know if they still make that version) Here’s one version:

Some other options with your specs:

Vic Walker (can opener and bottle opener in one):

And the Farmer Alox:

I’ve got a lot of more expensive MT’s, but my most used is the LM Juice S2. It doesn’t follow your preferences though:

1 Like

I would LOVE to see Leatherman have a “build your own multi-tool” option, and offer a version that is a TSA-approved multi tool which, by deleting a couple blades, would be ok to carry on a plane.
I am a McGuyver guy, and would really like this.

1 Like