The U.S. has had at least 39 mass shootings in just 24 days so far this year,

Hows taking dictatorial control of the ATF working out for you Joe?

3 Likes

A sleeping giant?

2 Likes

“At least 70 people have been killed and 167 wounded in mass shootings so far in 2023, according to the archive.”

That’s a slow day in Chicago

8 Likes

“Mass Shootings?” 4 or more people shot at one place or a quantity of matter usually of considerable size?
I am just asking because if I go to a small meeting there can be 20 people. I if go to a small church it could have 100 people when a large church would have a minimum of 500 people. I understand that one-person killed is one too many, but it does not make it a massive shooting. Like I said I do not want to downplay the shootings, but I want to put them into proper perspective. It is like saying that a guy used an automatic semi assault pistol when it was a pistol or, or should I say, a short, barreled rifle!!!
By the way,
Have you ever noticed that when you buy a certain vehicle that you tend to see everyone on the road with the same car when you are driving your car? Now that the News’ focus has been on shootings, we are hearing about more of them then before when it was not newsworthy!

5 Likes

Jim Jones didn’t use assault koolaide.
Gacy didn’t use an assault pistol.

4 Likes

A mass-shooting is where 4 or more people are killed according to FBIs definition of a mass-shooting, and where the shooter’s motive was to simply kill as many people as possible. Has nothing to do with the type of gun he or she uses, has nothing to do with people having wronged them in some way, has nothing to with anything other than the fact that they just wanted to kill as many people as they could; therefore, it only has everything to do that person’s intent, means and opportunity to pull it off. And it was pulled off on people that were not expecting anything bad to happen. That is a mass-shooting - as defined by the FBI.

Imagine if those people walked around prepared for anything nefarious to jump off?! They would have put him in the dirt quick, fast, and in a hurry. There are some commonsense things that I believe would be a great deterrent to those who would commit such lawlessness, but I dare not write or say what they might be, because of fragile sensibilities. But the solution is not that complicated, IMO.

5 Likes

I am just glad no one has started trying to use bombs!

4 Likes

Don’t suggest them…don’t want to trigger anyone’s thoughts in that way.

6 Likes

still think there are some nefarious people doing nefarious things with folks that have mental issues…

also possible that the china town shooting were implemented by the CCP in some fashion…

not saying it’s true but odd how these things happen in groups or streams and in certain areas…

makes one wonder and consider on things…

5 Likes

A more interesting and relevant stat would be the number of shooters who are “prohibited persons” (e.g., mentally ill, drug addiction, convicted felon, etc) who should have been prohibited from possessing firearms, but for reasons of government incompetence slipped through the system.

7 Likes

These headlines are intentionally misleading. The definition for a mass shooting that the main stream media uses is any incident where 4 (sometimes only 3) or more people are injured. But they actively try and make viewers think that these are all active shooter type incidents targeting random innocent people.

The vast majority of these “mass shootings” are actually gang related violence or other more typical crimes. The news media covers every single one of the incredibly rare active shooter incidents for weeks after each occurrence. But you almost never see the daily gang related incidents reported on the national news. Perhaps because that would show everyone how many dangerous criminals there are out here that we need to defend ourselves from. And we’ll never see reported the hundreds, perhaps thousands, of incidents every day where a law abiding citizen uses a firearm to defend themselves and others.

6 Likes

Guns aren’t new. They didn’t just come out last year or two…. I wonder what else has changed? It is a mystery….:thinking:

6 Likes

We started painting them black. That’s when they started randomly shooting innocent people, all by themselves. Science.

6 Likes

@Shamrock is correct here @David237 the 4 (or 3) people killed (or sometimes just shot) metric is from the media and has been pushed by anti-gun groups. That’s where you will sometimes hear people say there have been hundreds of mass shootings in a given year as evidence to ban assault weapons. But these are overwhelmingly shootings involving drugs/gangs/criminals and overwhelmingly using handguns.

The FBI definition does not have a minimum or maximum count. I’ve posted several of the FBI shooting reports here and here on this forum, its worth a read (the reports are short).

Here is the official FBI definition of a mass shooting and is included at the beginning of each report. They do include mass killings (3 or more killed) as a factor, it is not the definitive. In fact, there are several FBI labeled mass shootings with less than 3 because it was stopped by one means or another.

When evaluating shooting incidents to determine if they met the FBI’s active shooter definition,
researchers considered for inclusion:

• Shootings in public places
  • Shootings occurring at more than one location
  • Shootings where the shooter’s actions were not the result of another criminal act
  • Shootings resulting in a mass killing (The federal definition of “mass killing” which is defined as “three or more killings in a single incident”. Derived from Investigative Assistance for Violent Crimes Act 0f 2012, 28 USC530C(b)(1)(M)i.)
  • Shootings indicating apparent spontaneity by the shooter
  • Shootings where the shooter appeared to methodically search for potential victims
  • Shootings that appeared focused on injury to people, not buildings or objects

This report does not encompass all gun-related shootings. A gun-related incident was excluded if
research established it was the result of:

• Self-defense
  • Gang violence
  • Drug violence
  • Contained residential or domestic disputes
  • Controlled barricade/hostage situations
  • Crossfire as a byproduct of another ongoing criminal act
  • An action that appeared not to have put other people in peril

This methodology was first articulated in A Study of Active Shooter Incidents in the United States
Between 2000 and 2013 and was applied to the 2020 shooting incidents for consistency.

6 Likes

It dawns on me that the official FBI statistics are generally a year behind. So news companies looking for sensational headlines- not to mention political groups pushing their agendas- can make up any number they want for current year crimes; there won’t be any data to prove them wrong until next year.

4 Likes

Yeah, I thought about that after I said that!

4 Likes

Only my meandering here. Killers like these are locked up for 25-60 years until said person dies. This has come about because ppl have Said the death penalty is too cruel. I would propose that locking a person up for that long and only allowed out for one hour a day is more cruel. The average prison cell is approx 12x20 give or take. Look at how society has pushed free range chickens because keeping them in a cage all day is too cruel. The more I think about it the more I think those ppl should be put on an island about 10 miles out, patrolled by the Coast Guard and let the strongest survive. Air drop food in and leave them too it.

3 Likes

I’ve long said that life in prison is a death penalty. (I mean literal life in prison, not this “life = 20 years or less if good behavior” stuff.) We’re sending people away to die, our society just doesn’t have the guts to execute them ourselves.

4 Likes

And yet people get shot daily - banks get robbed and white-collar crime is at an all-time high - in spite of the threat of incarceration

2 Likes

Those years, 5 years , I was a prison guard taught me I never want to go there and I worked at a medium level security prison. Yet in some ethnic groups it is seen as a right of passage. Inmates and the staff look to screw each other over constantly. With the violence, hooch, shanks and drugs brought in by corrupt staff. It’s a good thing inmates created the Scared Straight program.

1 Like