FBI Releases Report on 2019 Active Shooter Incidents

The FBI released their report on “Active Shooter Incidents in the United States in 2019” a few days ago. This seems like it is now a yearly report. (list of previous reports at the bottom)

The CURRENT FBI Active Shooter Report, for all 2019 incidents:

For those that aren’t aware, the FBI Active Shooter incidents uses the criteria that I think most people would agree is the real definition of a mass shooter. Someone whose intent is to kill as many random people as possible. Shooters such as Parkland HS, Aurora Colorado movie theater, Las Vegas, etc are typical examples. This is in contrast to other sources who may use an arbitrarily chosen number as a threshold, for example “more than 3 deaths is a mass shooting”, and often include gang activity and domestic disputes. The FBI definition uses intent to cause harm and will include an incident no matter how many or how few deaths occurred.

The official FBI definition follows in part, and can be seen in its entirety on page 3 of the current report:

The FBI defines an active shooter as one or more individuals actively engaged in killing or attempting to kill people in a populated area. Implicit in this definition is the shooter’s use of one or more firearms. The active aspect of the definition inherently implies that both law enforcement personnel and citizens have the potential to affect the outcome of the incident based upon their responses to the situation.

This report does not encompass all gun-related shootings. Because the risk to civilians in active shooter incidents appears related to the apparent randomness of so many victims, a gun-related incident was excluded if research established it was the result of:

• Self-defense
  • Gang violence
  • Drug violence
  • Contained residential or domestic disputes
  • Controlled barricade/hostage situations
  • Crossfire as a byproduct of another ongoing criminal act
  • An action that appeared not to have put other people in peril (for example, the accidental discharge of a firearm in a bar or a suicide in a public parking lot)

High level statistics:

• 28 incidents with 30 shooters
  • 247 casualties (97 killed, 150 wounded), not including the shooters
  • 17 LEO casualties (2 killed, 15 wounded)

Of the 30 shooters…

• 29 male, 1 female
  • 4 wore body armor
  • 15 apprehended by LEO
  • 9 killed by police
  • 5 committed suicide
  • 1 killed by citizen

I skimmed the list of incidents and saw 12 out of 30 that used rifles (not specific as to type), 1 used a shotgun, the remainder used used handguns.

Four (4) shooters wore body armor. I do not believe 2018’s report listed any armor used. The 2016-2017 report listed 3 shooters wearing body armor, 2014-2015 report listed 2 shooters with body armor. So while it is not “common” for a shooter to have armor, it is certainly not out of the realm of possibility.

Links to previous FBI Reports on Active Shooter Incidents:

15 Likes

Fantastic amount of information here. Great post

Of the injured I’d be curious to know how many were shot vs how many were injured trying to escape or were trampled during the panic.

5 Likes

There is a footnote on page 5 that addresses that:

A number of those identified as wounded were not injured by gunfire but rather suffered injuries incidental to the shooting, such as being hit by flying objects/shattered glass or falling while running. For purposes of this study, the FBI sought to isolate the exact number of individuals who fell into this category when research permitted.

Sounds like they tried to only list wounded as wounded by gunfire, wherever they could. But there is probably some degree of inaccuracy in that number.

6 Likes

An update to the FBI statistics by the Crime Prevention Research Center.

As is usual, the FBI missed a few active shooter incidents, and also a few CCW stops of those incidents. This happens pretty much every year, and CPRC usually submits them to the FBI and the FBI usually accepts some and continues to reject others (it doesn’t fit their criteria for one reason or another).

The author (Nikki Goeser) says:

It hardly seems random that the FBI seemed to systematically miss these cases.

And while it seems to be a pretty consistent pattern, this is likely is moreso due to poor sources. There is no official “mass shooting database” so the FBI does what CPRC does which is troll through news reports and other crime reporting tools looking for mass shootings. This post on reddit lays it out pretty well.

2 Likes

This is a very interesting article. Am I to understand that the FBI doesn’t want to give credit to active shooting stopped by CCW holders because?? I’m guessing they don’t want the ccw permit option to become publicly known? Is this a part of the anti gun spin or just an observation? Either way it every fascinating and encouraging to know people have a right to self defense and to stop an active shoot if God forbid find yourself in such a situation. God provides.

1 Like

That’s understandable. People panic and may not remember how they were injured.

Not exactly. The FBI has given credit to CCW holders in every report. The FBI has released several reports (as shown in the first post of this thread) and has actually shown an increase in the number of mass shootings stopped by CCW as the number of CCW holders increases nationally.

The Crime Prevention Research Center is just noting, that the FBI tends to usually miss some mass shootings and also miss some CCW stops of mass shootings.

I tend to think it’s not deliberate, but who knows anymore :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you for clarifying. I read the first and last post and it read that way to me. In feel more relieved that it wasn’t what I thing got. Thank you. :blush:

I know everything is weird so it’s hard to decider the why behind choices. Is it innocent, deliberate or an oversight.

Thank you for the share.

2 Likes

Update on FBI Reports provided by John Lott. Details in the other thread…