The Proving Ground Carjacking training

I am learning a lot from the training videos, but this particular training is a bit dated because the situations involve old-style traditional car keys. Other concerns should also be addressed if you lose your car.
I don’t know the statistics, but believe many of us now have a fob we carry in a pocket instead of the old-style key you have to produce just to open a car door.
The fobs can be thrown far away or even under the car. The car isn’t going very far because the engine will shut off. This opens several tactical advantages for flight, concealment and ending the conflict. This scenario assumes the engine is already running, which I see all too often at gas stations. Don’t leave your fob inside the car.
I would also recommend that fobs and car keys not have house keys attached to them. The thief has your address because of the papers inside your car. Don’t give them the key to your home. I wonder how many homes are broken into as the result of a car theft. If you lose a home key, I guess it’s time to change your locks.
I’m still trying to figure out what the do about the garage door opener. I guess locking the door between your home and garage might help, but that’s not much help if all your doors accept the same key.

4 Likes

I would agree with most of what you said about house keys and all. But if I’m not mistaken don’t most garage doors have a slide lock on the inside for extra locking. I know mine does and I use it whenever we loose power as extra protection. Just my 2 cents.

3 Likes

Not precisely car jacking, but a situation that, sadly, we could now find ourselves in. What’s the right thing to do?

This poor cop…

Cop in Tacoma

I’ve been thinking about this since creating the topic.

Over the years, I have accumulated some old keys I can toss to the attacker that look quite real. He thinks he gets what he needs, and I escape without losing my car

1 Like

Love that idea.