Refuse the carjacking ***Edit***

Suppose you are driving down Main St and at a stop light a carjacker appears. He reaches into the car and demands your car. Car in front and behind nowhere to go. You refuse to relinquish the vehicle. The thug punches you and again demands the car. You are armed. Now what??

To expound on the situation: You are driving a 2022 Ferrari not an 85 Honda like @David-65, the perp really wants the car. The perp breaks the window and grabs you by the arm and shirt and begins to drag you through the window. The perp discourteously failed to give you time or warning so as @Karacal suggests you didn’t find the time to turn on the heater and pee in the car, although you did turn up the stereo which fortuitously was playing the finale of the 1812 Overture. @Frank73 suggested roll up the window but you just couldn’t reach it as you were halfway out the window.

4 Likes

Okay (against my better judgement) I’ll play along …

Power window up, 911 on speaker in the vehicle. You didn’t mention a firearm in his possession so, I’ll sit tight until the light changes. If his arm is still in the car with my window up, we’re going to wait for the Police together.

Getting punched isn’t justification for using deadly force at this part of your scenario. Roll up the window, 911 on speaker and give a nice, accurate description of your attacker. Sometimes the gun isn’t the answer.

Stay safe out there.

8 Likes

Turn on the heater and pee in the car.

2 Likes

Keep the windows rolled up, and the doors locked.

7 Likes

This is just silly. 1st doors are locked , 2nd windows are closed. So how are you smacked? AC on in summer heat on in winter. Spring & fall vehicle has fan. In order to smack me perp has to gain access, if perp gains access bad day for perp. Too old for this crapola.

8 Likes

If you loan your car to a friend and he takes it and runs over and kills a person while being drunk, would you be charged to since you allowed him to use your car? If you give up your car and he uses it in a crime, did you not hand over your vehicle?
If your window is up and he breaks your window and attempts to hit you, is your life in danger?

7 Likes

I agree with @Frank73, a punch to the face is not justification for your gun to be drawn. But some of us are not in the shape to resist and have a fist fight with the perp. Closing the window on his arm is good and calling 911 is good also. Make sure you close the window tight above the elbow joint closer to his shoulder so that he can’t flee and wait there for the police to arrive.

4 Likes

This is why I joined USCCA, the need for a good lawyer if things go bad. Here in Alabama I would guess there are 3 possible defense route’s one might take in the use of deadly force in the OP. Those would be Castle Doctrine, Stand your Ground, and Self Defense. If put in this position, I’m waiting on my attorney before I say much of anything.

Not being a lawyer, my WAG here is that in Alabama the Castle Doctrine might be first choice. It says, that if you believe that another person is in the process of unlawfully and forcibly entering your occupied vehicle then Alabama law gives you the legal presumption that your use of deadly physical force was justified. At least that is the way I read it based on reading the statue and also the BLOG of a a USCCA Attorney Network attorney here in Alabama.

7 Likes

I agree @Johnnyq60 and like you, I was answering according to what I would do or not do in this scenario. Factoring in disparity of force, and our victim driver being 85 years old, the use of a firearm and deadly force coupled with a State Castle Doctrine/Stand your ground law in place means something completely different.

Stay safe out there.

6 Likes

So, you got punched? Well good sir, guess I’ll just step outside and engage in a rousing bout of fisticuffs!..or not. The arm stuck in the window method sounds good to me. Tire iron, bear spray may come in handy, and both are in arms reach when I drive.

2 Likes

Be careful deploying bear spray from inside the car, you may end up having to abandon ship.

10 Likes

So in your world carjackings can be eliminated by locking the doors and rolling up the windows?

4 Likes

I would think the perp would pursue an easier target…and this one would be punching a window.

3 Likes

@Rick73 your edit is quite disingenuous. You presented a very good original scenario that didn’t automatically require a use of force. And because you seem to desire an outcome that does, you now have changed the scenario. To boot, you’re calling out individual forum users by name and in a very salty manner I might add.

As an Instructor, I’ve had this type of nonsense in my classes too. They get dismissed without a refund.

Good luck with future scenarios. Not every problem requires the use of a firearm. To the contrary, this is not what the USCCA professes or teaches in our curriculum. If we’re going to present constructive mental exercises, they cannot be changed on the fly to suit your desired outcome. My responses would likely keep me from going to jail and being charged. I can live with that and see another day of freedom.

Stay safe out there.

8 Likes

Just refreshed the page as I saw you were posting. Yeah, suddenly it’s a different ballgame. Let op give his answer, I’m done

3 Likes

Agreed @mattm

3 Likes

So, while I’m guessing some of you may be frustrated by this post, I’m glad it was posted.

What would you do scenarios help those who have been in the self-defense/concealed carry lifestyle for a while keep their mind open about other options besides the firearm.

These scenarios also help newer people learn about situational awareness, disparity of force, other defense options, and how important it is to be a good witness and call the police.

One of my sons recently went through something like this. He was stuck behind a car at a light and an agitated driver got out of a car two cars back from my son and started beating on my son’s window. After the situation was resolved (no firearm involved and the guy calmed down), my son then asked the driver from the car between the agitated driver and his car to send him the dash camera video of the entire situation.

These situations happen more frequently than we hear about. So while the answer may seem obvious to you for the posted scenario, be sure to keep an open mind, share helpful tips and point out additional things to people might want to consider. I wouldn’t have thought to even look for a dash camera on a car in that situation and now my son is adamant about leaving room in front of his car so he can drive out of a bad situation if possible.

6 Likes

But is not the answer the subjective level of threat the victim felt? I did not intend to be salty or disingenuous. I was attempting to solicit an answer that spoke to the victim’s perception of the threat level which we all know is the final determinant. your “roll up the window” answer is an insult to your intelligence, I hope.

While I agree that “what if scenarios” present valuable food for thought, the set-up better be clear and concise. Changing the scenario is a no-no!

My first thought on the situation was; Why are my windows open or door unlocked? Why did I not leave room to maneuver out of danger?

7 Likes

Changing the scenario mid stream and now insulting someones intellect for their response to the initial scenario is far from an educational experience imo, besides learning who to ignore in the future.

3 Likes